Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:01 PM

20 posts, read 24,791 times

Advertisements

I will be driving - a small car (no 4wd or anything) from Boise to the east coast (headed down south). I am planning the route From Boise going to either Rock Springs or Rawlins and wanted to know road conditions - passing through any mountains, any road closures, things to be aware of? I know it's now March and hoping 80 roads should be fine. Will be traveling with a pet too. Will be leaving the end of this week/weekend or this coming week.

Then from WY will be stopping somewhere in NE between Lexington and Grand Island. Assuming it's all flat but may be mistaken and also are road conditions okay? It's been warmer in general for the Boise area but not sure what is happening for WY/NE. Any help will be appreciated.

Now AWD or snow tires etc. Again, just a very small car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
Sounds like you will be stopping over in Kearney, you should be fine.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Yes, if you stay on the interstate, it will be flat. (There's a reason engineers like to build roads in river valleys). I understand why you're going that route, but what a dull drive

There're currently no snow-packed roads anywhere in the state, so far as I know. Certainly, the interstate is clear all the way across.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 AM

Thank you!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
I think the only thing you'd have to worry about strong cross-winds or gusts. It's a hazard of driving a small car on any limited access highway over fairly open terrain.

Traveling with a pet, I'd plan my stops ahead and make reservations. Red Roofs and Motel 6s are pet friendly. I think LaQuintas and at least some Hampton Inns are as well.

Good sites for info on traveling with pets:
Pet Vacations
Dog Friendly

Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 31,003 times
Be careful between mile markers 220 and 245 - I believe the altitude gain is pushing 2.5 ft.

You will have zero problems apart from a freak March snow storm - and even then I80 gets plowed pdq

Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 5,834 times
Not the most exciting drive in the world, as others have already stated.

One of the few good things about driving I80 through Nebraska is the state was good about installing regular rest stops along the interstate, and is pretty good about keeping them clean and well maintained.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 PM

25 posts, read 103,021 times
I have a subcompact and I've driven from Wyoming to Chicago at least ten times, there and back. Wyoming's probably the most problematic, along with western Nebraska. I usually tried to plan my trips around decent weather, but I've been caught in snow a few times. Southern WY can be insanely windy from Rawlins east to just west of Cheyenne. The highest point, and only challenging incline east of Rawlins is Sherman's Summit just east of Laramie, the section thereafter can have nasty ground blizzards when there's snow on the ground. Overall it's not too bad, interstates get priority treatment in terms of snow removal.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
If you get bored driving across western Nebraska just keep saying to yourself, "I could be driving across western Kansas".

Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Thanks all! Yes, I made it and the weather was really nice. Beat the rain and it was a warm spell. There were definitely some windy patches but not unmanageable. The only thing I didn't like and don't about Nebraska/Wyoming and midwest are all the slaughterhouse trucks. Managed to stay at all pet friendly hotels. Weather actually was perfect so it was good timing. And always filled up with gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska