Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times

Advertisements

Trader Joes has expressed interest, the one thing holding them back is that, their storage goes in groups of three stores, and they will need two more close in proximity to Omaha, I'm thinking Lincoln and Desmoines..

But they definitely want in the market.

Joe's Crab Shack, I don't know why they aren't already here..
Costco had the second best grand opening here of all of their openings.

I'm thinking light rail from DT Lincoln to DT Omaha with stops at important intersections, like SouthPort in Sarpy county, (somehow) near Lakeside in Omaha, Old Mill in Omaha, Midtown, South DT, mid dt, and nodo, all the way up to epply.

And as far as city light rail, I'd like to see Dodge street have a light rail track very near, as well as from bellevue to dt, and a light rail connecting several important areas with each other throughout the metro.

I'd like to see LaVista and Papillion and Gretna get involved with a proposal to link up to a newly formed metro light rail..

This would be costly, but in the long run would be extremely beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 01:17 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Trader Joes has expressed interest, the one thing holding them back is that, their storage goes in groups of three stores, and they will need two more close in proximity to Omaha, I'm thinking Lincoln and Desmoines..

But they definitely want in the market.

Joe's Crab Shack, I don't know why they aren't already here..
Costco had the second best grand opening here of all of their openings.

I'm thinking light rail from DT Lincoln to DT Omaha with stops at important intersections, like SouthPort in Sarpy county, (somehow) near Lakeside in Omaha, Old Mill in Omaha, Midtown, South DT, mid dt, and nodo, all the way up to epply.

And as far as city light rail, I'd like to see Dodge street have a light rail track very near, as well as from bellevue to dt, and a light rail connecting several important areas with each other throughout the metro.

I'd like to see LaVista and Papillion and Gretna get involved with a proposal to link up to a newly formed metro light rail..

This would be costly, but in the long run would be extremely beneficial.
I love Joe's Crab Shack. Maybe one on the riverfront by the new pedestrian bridge on the C.B. side?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default anwhere...

CB is another part of the metro, I wouldn't mind if its in lavista, papillion, bellevue, gretna, CB or the new Omaha subdivision 'Elkhorn'

I would be just as ecstatic at one spot as any other! But I do see it being on the riverfront as the ideal spot...

Old 01-13-2008, 08:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Joes Crab would be perfect for the riverfont, either side. When we ate at one in San Antonio the waitress told us they were going more to a Hawaiian theme, anyone know anything about this? Speaking of S.A. how about bringing a Taco Cabana up here, I loved that place.

I believe there isn't a Trader Joes in K.C. metro so that can be part of their storage area.

I would add that Hastings needs at least one national chain sit down restaurant (Applebee's), a national electronics (Hastings Books and Music, Hastings in Hastings ha) and my wife would like a hobby lobby.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM

98 posts, read 394,859 times
Default There is a...

Cracker Barrel is located off I-80 West (around 144th st) and there is also one located off I-29 at the Lake Manawa Exit.

I would love to see a Macy's come to Omaha or other high end shops.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarriedWithOutChildren View Post
I would love to see a Macy's come to Omaha or other high end shops.

I was hearing lots of rumors of Macy's in Omaha this last summer, but not sure if they had any validity.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Married- I was refering to having a Cracker Barrel in the Kearney-Grand Island-Hastings area, but no big deal, I totally missed the Pizza Kitchen. I believe Macy's, Nordstrom and some other smaller high end stores were high on the World-Heralds list. Didn't Wild Oats close out at Village Point? Maybe Macy's could remodel store and move in, it would be a good area for that type of store.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Quote:
Didn't Wild Oats close out at Village Point? Maybe Macy's could remodel store and move in, it would be a good area for that type of store
The former Wild Oats store would fit, say, a Barnes and Noble... but not a Macy's.

I'm not sure where I see a Nordstrom or Macy's going in Omaha today. An entirely new, large retail center may be required to such a retailer.

What would I like to see in Omaha? In no particular order...

- More job opportunities for north Omaha (I'm not a fan... but even a Super Walmart would help the area)
- One of those large Japanese/European auto manufacturing plants we keep missing out on
- Downtown ball park
- Even a small trolley line in downtown. I believe the appeal would immediately translate into public acceptance of a broader role for mass transit
- Bike trail completed between Millard and Papillion... so I could easily ride my bike to work

... those are my major wishes.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
The former Wild Oats store would fit, say, a Barnes and Noble... but not a Macy's.

I'm not sure where I see a Nordstrom or Macy's going in Omaha today. An entirely new, large retail center may be required to such a retailer.

What would I like to see in Omaha? In no particular order...

- More job opportunities for north Omaha (I'm not a fan... but even a Super Walmart would help the area)
- One of those large Japanese/European auto manufacturing plants we keep missing out on
- Downtown ball park
- Even a small trolley line in downtown. I believe the appeal would immediately translate into public acceptance of a broader role for mass transit
- Bike trail completed between Millard and Papillion... so I could easily ride my bike to work

... those are my major wishes.

A super Wal-Mart in North Omaha? You would have to hire security guards for at least half the people who walk in to baby-sit them. Why on Earth would Wal-Mart ever think North Omaha is a good business opportunity?

Like I have said previously, businesses choose environments which they can thrive. Those environments include safe areas where people choose to spend instead of steal.

It will take alot of work before North O can take adavantage of any real economic opportunites.

Star_Gazer, have you ever even been to the "North Omaha" you are speaking of?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
(you're a Libertarian... aren't you?)

What? You're thinking I live in north Omaha... and just want to see a Super Walmart there which I can shop at? I live in far west Omaha... I just realize that there is a serious need to turn the situation around in the northeast.

Precisely the point... in investing money in north Omaha... is to turn the economic/social situation around. If it's a situation where a Walmart doesn't want to risk the investment (which is understandable of COURSE given the current environment)... then the city of Omaha needs to step up and provide incentives to reduce prospective businesses exposure to these risks.

If you've got a portion of your yard being eaten up by grubs... you don't just ignore that piece of your yard... you give it attention. The city of Omaha needs to give more of it's attention to this area of the city..

That is my wish... for the good people of north Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska