Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 PM

34 posts, read 431,981 times

Advertisements

Lived in Lincoln/Omaha or Las Vegas my whole life, never lived in a small town like Grand Island. I'm a little worried about housing. Is there an "upscale" area of town to live in? Or is everything pretty homogenous? If you could live anywhere in or around Grand Island (within 5 miles) where would you live? Any other tips for living in G.I.?

Oh, and who is the main cable provider (like time warner, cox or comcast) for G.I.? I can't seem to find it online for some reason.

Anything would be appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
The main cable company is Charter communitcations, but personally I would go with a dish provider if you can, alot of people in G.I. do this. The upscale are would be around Riverside and Indianola country clubs, the east "lakes" basically on the Merrick Country border and west of 281. There are lots of new subdivisions west of 281, especially along 13th street and Old Potash. I would personally live in Grand Island since you have lived in big cities in your life. It may be less of a culture shock, compared to living in a real small town. Grand Island has Kohl's, Best Buy, restaurants etc.. so it is not completely void of anything, and Lincoln/Omaha is really a short drive away. Grand Island to me is really a blue collar town, and there is a large hispanic population (not trying to raise a ruckus, just stating facts, and this is an issue b/c of illegial immigration). I used to live in G.I. and if I could I would live in the areas stated above or basically anything west of Custer north of Hwy 30 or South of Stolley Park west of South Locust, in general. If you are in Lincoln or Omaha now, I would suggest taking a drive and checking it out and also maybe do a search for G.I. realtors. Any more ?'s ask.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:36 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
If you are not against say a 10 mile drive, which in the Grand Island area is not a long drive as compared to going through traffic in Las Vegas off of a freeway, because there is no freeway in Grand Island area except for I-80. You might want to take a look at Doniphan to the south about 9 miles away or south of Alda across the UP tracks which is also about 9 miles out. Both areas have some nice housing and it is in a quiet area as well.

Just like tpabes says take a drive to Grand Island ahead of time and check out the area. Then pick a place that you like. Stay away from the northeast parts of Grand Island, which to me is the area north of Bismark Road and east of Oak Street. When I lived in the Grand Island area it appeared to me as this area was the worse area to live in. The housing was not the best and the majoriity of the Hispanic popluation lived in this area as well. Anything west of Eddy Street is a good area as well. From Eddy to Oak Street it can be good or bad. There are several housing developments that are west of US Hwy 281 that are very nice. Also about all of the major shopping area is along US Hwy 281 or very close by to US Hwy 281 as well.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 PM

9 posts, read 34,463 times
Anything west of highway 281 is pretty nice. A lot of the older areas of town west of Eddy street are OK too. Brentwood, Riverside, Ponderosa,and the East Lakes are the upper scale areas ($250,000 -$700,000.00). It kind of depends on the type of housing and neighborhood you are looking for. There are nice cookie cutter areas, nice McMansion areas, and nice older parts of town.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM

34 posts, read 431,981 times
Oh, I'm just graduated from college, haha, when i said "upper scale" i meant like really nice apartment communities....not really looking to buy.

But thanks for all the input, sounds like I want to look west of the Tom Osborne highway there.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM

When we were looking for rentals in Grand Island, we were kinda disappointened in the opportunities in town. Look in the Grand Island paper for rentals, theIndependent.com | Grand Island Independent
Also look in the yahoo yellow pages for listings.

Avoid Cherry Park, they are a big complex on the east side of town, I have heard nothing but bad things about them. We eventually got a rental through First Brokers Real Estate, they treated us right, but I don't know if they have anything like and upscale community.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:50 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I have gone through Grand Island many times (going to Colorado) and have stayed in it a few times and would agree that the northeast part of the city is an area to avoid. From South Dakota, I come in on US 30 going into Grand Island. This part of the city is dirty. My impression is that the city has a number of nicer areas outside of eastern and northeastern segments of the city. A smaller town near Grand Island is a good option also. There are quite a few around and some such as Doniphan, Champman, and Alda are along major roads that are well travelled and would be better roads to travel on in the winter. I live in a smaller town near a larger one in South Dakota and find it nice to have the peace and quiet of a small town but being near a larger town for employment and conveniences. If I were you, I would visit the area and check around and visit some of the locals who are familiar with the area. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 34,463 times
Best bet for apartments is anything from O'Connor Enterprises. He owns some pretty nice, fairly affordable apartment complexes. Continental Gardens was completely renovated a few years ago and he owns some newer complexes. There are also some nicer apartments behind Menards. There aren't any luxury apartment complexes in GI.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:42 PM

I have heard Continental Gardens is good, alot of young professionals from what I have heard. The apartments behind Menards are called Autumn Park.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 AM

26 posts, read 137,327 times
my son lived in these apartments. they are very nice and affordable.

Riverbend Apartments

[SIZE=5](308) 398-0678[/SIZE]
117 Lakeview Cir, Grand Island, NE 68803
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska