Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM

3,150 posts, read 3,847,156 times

Advertisements

The Good: Nebraska actually has turkeys, and lots of them !!

The Good: The fact that I can walk down to the lobby of my hotel at 4:00am all camo-ed up, carrying a shotgun, and the only thing the little girl behind the counter said was, "Good luck today".

The Bad: The fact that I've become so jaded, that all the genuinely friendly and helpful people in Nebraska, are starting to **** me off

The Bad: I was hunting with my buddy Scott, and he's a tri-athlete. I on the other hand am NOT a tri-athlete. Even though I'm only 57, I'm in the same physical condition as a man 77 (no offense to any 77 year olds that can kick my ass).

The Ugly: I was in Nebraska last week and hunted with Scott, and I got a turkey (my very first one). Work brought me back this week, and I still had an unfilled turkey tag, so we decided to give it another try.

We left Lincoln and headed east. By 5:15am we had a spot picked out. Scott called and there were two (maybe three) gobblers out there. We picked a tree and set up.

My feet were pointing to 9 o'clock, but we saw a bird fly down at 12 o'clock, then another, then another, then another. Now they were in the corn field at the 1 o'clock position. We quickly butt-scooted around the tree. Scott was calling and they were actually coming in. It was pretty exciting.

First a hen, then another, then another, then the tom. Scott said take the shot, so I put the bead on the tom's head and pulled the trigger, and, and, and........... swing and a miss.

When the smoke cleared I watched my second tom fly off towards Missouri

But here's the thing, I still had a great time. I could have spent the morning in my office (pretending to care about other people's problems) but instead I got to spend the morning in rural eastern Nebraska with a good friend, wearing camo, carrying a shotgun, and watching turkeys do what they do.

I'll take that any day over work.

Here are some random pictures from my trip.

I smoked a cigar in the Havana Garage in the Old Market in Omaha (cobblestone streets and renovated early 1900's buildings), anther one at the Copacabana in west Omaha. Both nice places, but I prefer Havana Garage due to its location.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Copacabana

Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM

The line at 4:30am at Omaha airport. And some random inked-up chick on the plane home. She said I reminded her of her father (it must have been because I said, "what the hell is going on with your arm").

Oh well, there's always next season.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:07 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,300,108 times
I'm glad you had a good time in Nebraska. I just had a discussion with my wife about where we may want to move (we are already retired) and with our extensive travel in all 50 states, we both agreed to stay here. No crowds, no parking issues, and almost no crime (outside the cities (only Lincoln and Omaha are official cities in Nebraska.

BTW we have turkeys in my yard, along with deer, and I expect a mountain lion (when the deer disappear), every kind of bird including eagles.

Never been to Brewster, but all the other photos look familiar, except the chick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska