Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 05:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Not one, but TWO major veto overrides by the legislature.

Legislature overrides Ricketts' veto, approves "Dreamers" driver's licenses | netnebraska.org

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us...h-penalty.html

That has definitely got to sting and send a real message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
The majority of the unicameral is republican and that's the big surprise to the state. 70% of the (most recent poll) what's the death penalty.

Every other day I would see a different anti-Death Penalty spokesman on different media outlets fighting for the repeal and they all said they were residence of Nebraska. Some announcers would ask where they live and they could name a city but not the street. Sounds fishy to me.

On a local radio show (KFAB) an insider was saying that the Anti-Death Penalty hobby have been in Lincoln in force since Ernie introduced the bill. The insider said that he was seeing the hobbyist with the senators buying dinner and other things for the state senators.

Many of the senators that wanted to keep the Death Penalty are trying to get a state vote.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:42 PM

I completely forgot that there was that third veto override on the gasoline tax.

In a defeat for Gov. Ricketts, Nebraska's gas tax will be going up - Omaha.com: Legislature

Ricketts is off to a very bad start, but I can't say I'm surprised as I figured from the start he would be a terrible governor.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The majority of the unicameral is republican and that's the big surprise to the state. 70% of the (most recent poll) what's the death penalty.

Every other day I would see a different anti-Death Penalty spokesman on different media outlets fighting for the repeal and they all said they were residence of Nebraska. Some announcers would ask where they live and they could name a city but not the street. Sounds fishy to me.

On a local radio show (KFAB) an insider was saying that the Anti-Death Penalty hobby have been in Lincoln in force since Ernie introduced the bill. The insider said that he was seeing the hobbyist with the senators buying dinner and other things for the state senators.

Many of the senators that wanted to keep the Death Penalty are trying to get a state vote.
When the Death Penalty is on the Ballot in 2016 (wanna bet the 115K Signatures needed are collected in record time?) it will be reinstated and legislation limiting the number of appeals and the amount of time will be drastically changed. Ernie will go into shock.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
When the Death Penalty is on the Ballot in 2016 (wanna bet the 115K Signatures needed are collected in record time?) it will be reinstated and legislation limiting the number of appeals and the amount of time will be drastically changed. Ernie will go into shock.
I doubt Ernie will give a ****. He knows the state can't even get the drugs to carry out the executions since no one in the US will supply them for that purpose and it's illegal to import. Plus, there is enough federal case law out there on the death penalty that prevents states from implementing their own idiocy.

If the voters want to waste time and money on a measure that can't be enforced and was never effective to begin with, all I can say is "be my guest".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska