Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times

Advertisements

Interesting what the Omaha senators are trying to do.

I was just watching the local 4pm news and ch42 reported that Senator Synowiecki (sp?) introduced a bill to get the entire state to fund the College World Series at Rosenblatt - that's kind of crazy to me.

I was curious, so I went to check the Legislatures website to see for myself.

Guess what else I found when I was there? Senator Nelson introduced a bill to allow Omaha annex across county lines - even more crazy.

Here's what I found on the State website when I went to check up what I heard on the news today.

LB1156 Adopt the Nebraska Sports Tourism Advantage Act:
Takes money from states cash reserves and can only be used at an existing facility (Rosenblatt) for the benefit of the NCAA.

LB1166 Provide for the extension of the corporate limits of a city of the metropolitan class into an adjoining county:
Gives Omaha the right to annex into Dodge, Saunders, Sarpy, and Washington counties. What is next - allow Lincoln, Scottsbluff, Grand Island, Kearney, North Platte, Fremont, etc annex across their county lines?

I sure hope both of these don't get passed. Omaha is important to this state but it does not run the state. The more control Omaha gets the less all other urban and rural towns/counties get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Short answer to LB1166 - yes.
In some other states, cities annex across county lines without any restrictions. I know one town that spans 4 counties!

Reasons given - control and direct development, and to provide infrastructure and services (and the funding for them) more readily. This keeps city taxpayers from funding recreation, etc for everyone who comes in from the suburbs and surrounding counties.

Watch that one - without opposition it just might pass. And cities and towns big and small will want the same considerations. If that is what you want, it can work out well - or it can be a horrific nightmare, depending on who's in office.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
It will be interesting to see how other senators vote on LB1156, I'm sure they don't want to be paying for a stadium for Omaha, but at the same time I don't think anyone in the state want's to see the series go, and it also would be coming out of the reserve, which might make it easier for vote in favor for other senators.

This is the first I have heard of LB1166, I think once it gets into the media more, you will hear quite the ruckus, especially say Gretna. Hopefully it will not pass. Omaha has plenty of room to expand in Douglas county, and if it fills the whole county, then they should be looking into urban redevolpment anyway. I hope with Elkhorn being fresh on people's mind it will help in a vote.

I agree not to give Omaha to much power, don't throw all your eggs into one basket so to say, this would really hurt Lincoln and Nebraska's outstate cities.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM

Actually just saw the article on annexation, stated it was immediately codemned by Sarpy County officials, I'm sure surrounding counties will follow suit.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Actually just saw the article on annexation, stated it was immediately codemned by Sarpy County officials, I'm sure surrounding counties will follow suit.
Hopefully, Washington, Dodge, and Saunders counties all get on board with Sarpy. Those 3 border Douglas too.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Personally, I see rural senators siding with Sarpy too, they don't want to set any precedent. Like you said if a precedent is set, then other cities will be looking to do it.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Omaha does not need to annex in Sarpy or other counties. It has plenty of room to grow within its own county. If the other communities (such as Ralston, Pappilion, Bellevue) are serving the needs of their residents well, I do not see any need for Omaha to annex them in.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Omaha does not need to annex in Sarpy or other counties. It has plenty of room to grow within its own county. If the other communities (such as Ralston, Pappilion, Bellevue) are serving the needs of their residents well, I do not see any need for Omaha to annex them in.

Just to clarify, I think current law does not allow a town over 10,000 to be annexed without that towns authorization, so Papillion, LaVista, and Bellevue themselves are not affected by this; however, the rural land is impact hugely by this and takes potential rights away from the natural growth areas of those towns over 10,000 in the other counties.

Also, Ralston is already in Douglas County AND is under 10,000 so Omaha already has rights to annex them unilaterally.

If I read it right, this proposal is to allow Omaha over the county line, but does nothing to change that 10,000 threshold.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Also, so people know, Omaha does not annex Ralston because of a gentlemen's agreement years ago. Bascially as long as Ralston does not grow out of their borders, then Omaha will let them be their own independent city.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
cities that cant annex outside counties are always hurt. kansas city though only 30000 people larger than omaha has almost 3 times the land mass they only get so much because they can annex outside county lines. and look at detroit. its county locked and the entire place is worse than north omaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha