Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,569 times

Advertisements

So im a guardsman looking to work in Lincoln. This would be a huge move for me from SC. I dont really have time to look around the city myself but from what ive found is that most places dont like pets and i have 2 german shepards and 1 cat.

I hear the northern part of lincoln is an area to stay away from. Now ive had little to no luck looking on Zillow and no luck with the Lincoln news paper.

Im looking at the $1000 a month range but i just cant find anything. Moving is not stressful but the thought of possibly lossing my animals is freaking me out haha. Any help is appreciated would really like a house but will settle for anything, i know that highpoint app. are pet friendly i just dont know how many they accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 AM

25 posts, read 65,194 times
Hello Wink86,

Finding an apartment that accepts pets can be very tricky! Even though some apartments claim to be “pet friendly,” they often restrict the number of pets that they allow or the size of the pets. Often times, calling the apartment or visiting the apartment’s website (if it has one!) is the only way to find out if the apartment is a good match for you. Maybe this article will get you started.

I am not very familiar with Lincoln, NE, but I found a couple of possibilities for you. The first is Springs at Heritage Lakes. This complex has a leash-free fenced dog park, and they also allow large pets. The second is the Lodge Apartment Homes, which also allows large dog breeds, but they do restrict certain dog breeds.

Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,498 times
If you go to lincoln apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist you can put in your maximum rent at 1,000 and check off cats and dogs on the accepted pets and then look through those. North Lincoln really isn't all that bad. I'd stay away from anything too close to 27th and Holdredge or anything too close to downtown. West A is really nice. So anything near W 9th and A is pretty affordable and in a good neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,391 times
*laughs* I signed up just to say... Lincoln, NE... I don't recommend it. I moved here from the east coast about 10 years ago and still regret it everyday.

First... Don't drink the water. It tastes awful! Bottled water is the only way to go.

Second... If you don't like college football... You'll hate it here. The only thing these people talk about are Husker this and Husker that. So, you're going to see seas of red shirts with N or NEBRASKA plastered all over them. (It is a college town, but these folks are downright rude, pushy, shoving type people.)

Third... If you are set on moving here... DO NOT LIVE AT AN APARTMENT COMPLEX CALLED THE LODGE!! Looks nice on the outside, but it is a nightmare that I was glad to move away from!

Try apartments like Highpointe (they accept dogs, and cats), Lionsgate... Etc

Check apartmentratings.com to read reports before committing!

But I don't recommend Lincoln, NE to anyone. Not even my worst enemies.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM

29 posts, read 100,052 times
10 years? Regret it every day? That's a lot of regret! Not sure if it's just me, but usually if I don't like something I tend not to do it. You know, a bit like living somewhere for 10 years that you really hate.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 64,057 times
I've been here 3 years and Lincoln is a great town. If your looking for the excitement of a big city, look else ware. It's a smaller city. But for good people, and great quality of life, Lincoln is wonderful. Lincoln doesn't really have any really bad neighborhoods. As for pet friendly rentals.....

Most of the apartment complexes in Lincoln that say they are "pet friendly" mean 1-2 cats, MUST be declawed , spayed/neutured, and up to date on shots, no dogs. There are some managed complexes that allow dogs, but their breed/size restrictions will probably rule out german shepards. Also the few apartment complexes that accept dogs, generally limit you to 2 pets max per apartment, 2 dogs and a cat are simply too many for almost any managed apartment complex in Lincoln, unfortunately. Even if you find a place, most places charge a non-refundable pet fee, and $20-40 pet rent, per pet, per month. (Something to keep in mind when selecting a place based only on their "base rent.")

You will probably have much better luck with the private/individually owned apartments, not managed apartments. Unlike large companies, you would be able to explain your predicament to your prospective landlord. You will probably be able to find someone who is willing to work with you. Since you have German shepherds, this will probably be somewhat difficult, but doable. If your dogs have had advanced obedience training or something similar, you will be able to ease some of the concerns that a perspective landlord will probably have an easier time finding a place to live. Good Luck.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM

68 posts, read 228,821 times
Have you checked with Highpointe yet, I dont know how large your German Shepards are but hte lady that works in the office has 3 Great Danes, her largest 180 lbs, I dont think she will think your Shepards are that big.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 11,569 times
actually found a town house just west of the air port that accepts dogs. Its a newer area, not alot of personality but it will do for now. I Lived in Omaha for High school but then moved to Orlando Fl, Pcola FL, Jacksonville FL and Charleston SC......IDK how im gonna do coming back home to Nebraska lol but i only hear good things about Lincoln so im excited.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 14,031 times
The two trickiest things you would run into would be the size of your dogs (many places only allow 25lbs and under) and the total number of pets. Having 2 large dogs myself and a cat, I find sometimes it's easiest to "forget" you have a cat until you move in or at least get a feel for the place. Many of the places with firm 2 pet limits will make allowances for a third. As for pet friendly places in Lincoln, I can state, having moved quite a few times, that Lincoln Nebraska is hands-down the most pet un-friendly town I have had to find a place to live in. I was seriously shocked that only a handful of places will consider renting to someone with a dog over 25 lbs. Hah, don't they realize the big dogs are the lazy, sleep all day dogs??

It sounds like you found a place, but I think the Southside has more things to do than other areas of the city, probably because it's where a lot of new construction is taking place. There are two complexes down South that have off-leash dog runs, which is nice considering Lincoln has severely downgraded their off-leash park and are still doing construction there. I'm not sure exactly what's happening there (I haven't been since they started doing stuff), but it looks quite messy.

The first (and older) complex is Ruskin Place. They have absolutely no size restrictions, breed restrictions, or number of pet restrictions. I toured there and was impressed with what appeared to be a genuine like of animals. I just didn't care for the actual units they had available and chose to not rent from there. But their dog run is the size of a football field and the largest in the city.

The other complex with a dog run is Springs at Heritage Lakes. They are brand new (just built a year ago) which is nice and accept large dogs. Idk where German Shepherds fit within BSLs (breed specific legislation) or complex rules normally, so I'm afraid I can't help with whether "Breed Restrictions Apply" would fit with them.

I second staying away from the Lodge. I know someone that worked at the Lincoln Regional Center (a facility for mental patients, criminal offenders, and sex offenders) and once and if they were deemed well enough to leave, the Lodge was one of the big complexes the former LRC patients moved to.

There is also 56th Street Lofts and Apartments. That's where I ended up renting from. I love my own unit (quite large 2 bedroom with a spiral staircase and loft area), but the complex itself is a little suspect and the rates just keep climbing every year (although I was told by a leasing agent friend that that's a theme around the city, I'm afraid).

Finally, I'm a firm believer in going into anything with a positive attitude. Lincoln is most definitely NOT my most favorite place that I've lived and I find the people a bit difficult sometimes and the lack of activities in the town frustrating at times. BUT once you settle into a routine and get your group of acqaintances, with a positive attitude, you can endure almost anything! And there's always Omaha, which a lot of Lincolnites seem to enjoy, as well as KC 3 hours away, Des Moines 4ish hours away, and Denver (hah depending on how fast you drive) within 8 hrs away, so the location is really good. Good luck to you.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 12,528 times
I may have a house for u. Ranch home middle of Lincoln country club area. Pm me if interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska