Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,158 times

Advertisements

Recent events made me think I should write about exactly what's happening in my life However, I'd like to finish the piece I'm currently working on at some point, so that means doing some research. The bulk of the story is about 'what I know', but it's pretty important for the protagonist to be from a small midwestern town, which I'm not. After discussions with an old boss of mine who's from Nebraska, I think De Witt is the perfect hometown for my girl. So, I'm working on plans to visit this spring/summer, and am just trying to do some research in advance to make the most of my trip. I'm just thrilled with all of the responses! Thanks again for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,158 times
[quote=mattpoulsen;2659137]I actually disagree. Her character attended college in Seward. I was, at one time, a college student who attended college at Midland Lutheran College in Fremont, and we regularly drove to Omaha (and sometimes Lincoln) to go "party."...

Thanks very much for your help! I look forward to checking out the area in person, and you've given me some guidance. So, is there any rivalry between Midland and Concordia?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM

24 posts, read 47,630 times
To really understand this place you might have to come on by here. I understand need to do research on a place you are writing fiction about. People have different attitudes here than just about anyplace I have seen. Girls from Seward come here to live secret lives. There is a rich underculture here in Lincoln. You might want to start at "The Cup" in Lincoln and find out what decedent distractions even these "tight ass" Vegans can not resist. I would be happy to show you the underbelly. Let me know here if you want a tour. Good luck in any case. The pen is the instrument of our salvation.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 PM

By the way Siana I was thinking that for color you might want to know that "Dead Man's Run" is a creek that runs from the Gateway Mall and borders the campus on the North. Also there are some pretty seedy hoods just south of campus. Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Sienna,

Yeah, there is a little rivalry between Concordia and Midland, but nothing substantial. There are several small private NAIA sized schools in the area. They include Nebraska Wesleyan University (in Lincoln), Doane (in Crete), Concordia, and Midland (in Fremont). Of all of them Doane and Concordia are the closest to each other, so if I had to guess that's probably the biggest rivalry. At any rate they're all in the same sports conference, so they all compete to some degree.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM

So, is there any rivalry between Midland and Concordia? [/quote]

If you want a rivalry there is a big football one between Kearney and Omaha. Kearney gets stomped on every year. They oddly have a trophy just for the football game between these two teams. It remains in Omaha most of the time. Kearney is really interesting for a small town. I reckon there are about 25000 peeps in Kearney. They pronounce it “Car-ney” about 1 quarter of them are college students so the biggest part of the pop. is 20-25, I would bet. They have a big pharmecuetical company and Buckle clothing headquarters has always been there. Although the way people dress you would never know. Downtown, looks as if it were brand new but a lot of it is cool ass 1950s style buildings and neon signs. Makes the place look eerily fake. They are proud of Kearney's frontier history because it used to be a fort and was on the Oregon trail. I don't know what you're looking for but Kearney is an eerily cool and scary place in it's way. The not in college people, dress and act as if it was still 1950. It is a bit far from Lincoln about 2 and a half hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska