Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 31,861 times

Advertisements

This is just to ask why, and with specific examples. As someone who was born and raised in a small town in central Nebraska, my personal opinion is that people from this area are pretty simple to figure out. People are hard workers in whatever they do and don't tolerate slacking off. With all the hard work they put in, when they get the chance, they have as much fun as possible with their family and friends. Finally, all they ask for in return from anyone, whether its someone from there or elsewhere is respect. I've been reading all these posts about people from Omaha, Lincoln, or wherever else claiming that people from rural towns in central and western Nebraska are "arrogant", "ignorant", "rude", and "have an attitude." I'd personally like to disagree with that, but maybe its because I've lived in a small town most of my life and the main value that I was instilled with from a young age was respect for others. I'm less than two years out of high school, but whenever we'd travel to other small towns for sports like football and baseball, some towns even smaller than where I'm from (Minden, pop. ~ 3000), whenever I'd stop at a gas station, restaurant, or wherever else, I was polite and respected the people there. I've never personally had a bad experience with the people in any town outside of Lincoln, where I currently live for school. When I go into a gas station in a small town in NE, I usually get a "hey, how's it going?" from the moment I walk in the door, even at towns that I rarely go to. When I go to a gas station only a few blocks from my apartment here in Lincoln, a place that I've gone to numerous times in the year and a half I've lived in this part of town, depending on whose working, sometimes they'll be an assh*** working or sometimes the person will be decent. I've never had to worry about that in any other town. And for those that claim central- and western-Nebraskans have attitudes, have you ever thought for a moment that you might be the one coming in with an attitude? For example, my mom graduated high school from a small town near Minden, but she has lived in Lincoln for the past 13 years or so (I lived with my dad in Minden), but every time she comes back to Minden and we go out to eat at a restaurant, I can tell that her attitude towards people is different and more arrogant. It's not to the point of disrespectful, but it's obvious that people from Lincoln and Omaha especially view themselves in a higher regard than us "hicks" or whatever you want to call people from rural parts of the state. I am personally proud of being a Nebraskan and proud of everything and every town this state has, but for those of you who feel that you're better than the people from the small towns in this state, realize that the values and hard work that is still present in every small town in the state are the same things that built Nebraska, including Lincoln and Omaha. Take your disrespect elsewhere, because there's not a group of people that deserve respect more than most people from small towns throughout the state. But, for those of you that have had a bad experience or two with small towns, try this for once: next time you're in a small town and stop somewhere to eat or get gas, when you talk to someone, be polite, courteous, and respectful, and I'll bet you $100 that you'll be treated with the same politeness, courteousness, and respectfulness that you have shown them. Just try it, because all this talk degrading the people in the western 2/3rds of the state is a load of B.S. and proves to me that some people from the eastern part of the state, especially Omaha in particular, have over-inflated egos that think they're better than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Could you point out those posts where people from Omaha/Lincoln are calling people from rural Nebraska 'arrogant', 'ignorant', 'rude', etc?

Chances are... it's from one or two people who don't like Nebraska in general.

Most of the people I know who have migrated to Omaha... in fact came from rural Nebraska. I've heard many poke fun at their own small towns they came from... but I've never heard anyone being disrespectful about rural Nebraska people in general.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
The only thing I can think of is when I was expressing my preference towards larger schools a short time ago. Who knows.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
There are some here who degrade small town NE quite a bit, but its a few posters who post a lot. Generally, speaking I would say most people look at small town NE in a positive light.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times
Default Small town disrespect

I'll be the first to admit that I don't read all of the posts on this site but I would be very surprised if there are more than just a couple of people that disrespect those in Western NE. And honestly, I could care less what those people think because they're probably unhappy about every aspect of their lives. But as someone who was born and raised in Omaha (and lived in Lincoln for a short time), I was raised to respect everyone regardless where they're from. I like to think that most of us were raised this way and raise our kids the same way. So please don't let a couple of people distort your opinion of Omaha because I was taught the value of hard work by a father that built a successful business based on his own hard work. I would argue that there are probably a few people that think all of us city folk are arrogant and that isn't true for most of us.

But bgrams7, I have a question for you: how does saying 'some people from the eastern part of the state, especially Omaha in particular, have over-inflated egos that think they're better than they are' make this any better? I am from Omaha, many of my friends and most of my family are from Omaha and none us act as if we're better than anybody else. The issue isn't a widespread problem with those that live in Omaha or Lincoln but an isolated issue of a small few that like to voice their displeasure about everything.

I will say this, I've been to many small towns and 98% of the time, I've had a great experience. The few times that I've had a bad experience in a small town, I certainly didn't think that everyone in small towns had an attitude. I realized that people are different - in small towns and large one's - and there are poportianate number of these people no matter where you go.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I personally have a high regard for rural Nebraskans and feel that the negative opinions towards rural Nebraskans are due to a misunderstanding, preconceived stereotypes, or a bad experience of a bad apple (not representative of the general population). As a South Dakotan, I view Nebraskans, especially rural Nebraskans, as my friendly neighbors to the south.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Small town people are underrated everywhere. The big city folk oftentimes come into a small area with the attitude that, because they come from a place that has a mall and Starbucks and lots of amenities, the hicks simply don't know how to manage their lives.

I grew up in a very rural part of SC, but I was close enough to a big city to access the amenities - and then go home. I have lived all over the US - and invariably there is a group of "city people" who look down their noses at their "country cousins", try to rip them off, treat them as if they didn't have common sense - and then are angered still more when the country folk don't buy into their schemes. I live in a rural part of SC again - and I can't tell you how many times 'city' people have come into town, insisting that they had a 'great deal' for the town to pay for, and the council has run them out of town. Now, of course, the town of 1500 twenty years ago is predicted to boom to 240,000 in ten years. The new people coming in are highly incensed because the taxpayers won't fund the amenities that they demand; they have to pay for them themselves.

Several years ago we were talking about replacing a billboard for the city. I told them that I wanted it to simply say - "Welcome to _______; home of 1500 wonderful people and a few mean old curmudgeons." That way, if they met a disgruntled or irascible local, we could just point to the sign...

There are always going to be people who think that what they want, need, and demand from others should be more respected and catered to than anyone else's wants. There are always people who insist that the locals adjust to them, not the other way around. There are always going to be people who can't fit in anywhere, and insist that it is the other peoples' fault. There are always going to be people who demand respect instead of earning it. They are ignored in the big cities because there are so many of them. Why do you think they head for the rural outposts to begin with?

Don't worry, they eventually leave, still looking for that acceptance and respect that they will never find - because they will never realize that it comes from within, not from others. The people who are seeking it and who want to love it for what it is without changing it to suit themselves will stay and be happy.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:29 AM

116 posts, read 340,667 times
I don't believe people come onto this site to purposely set out to disparage a group of people. What we DO do is relate personal experiences.

My personal experience in small town Nebraska was simply deplorable. Should those of us who've had bad experiences in small towns sanitize them? To sanitize them would mean that nobody would really get anything out of the experience, whether it's the town, or people thinking of moving there. Do I think all of small town Nebraska is like the bigoted little place we lived? I can't say for sure, but I HOPE not.
Small towns can indeed have attitudes about "the big city people," even if that "big city" ain't all that big, but of course not ALL of them. Do people from large cities have attitudes against those in "hicksville?" OF COURSE some of them do, but not ALL of them.

The fact that my family and I were at the receiving end of prejudice is just plain fact. And I'm relating a personal experience, as I imagine most people on these threads are: relating personal experiences, good and bad.

I have to take issue with the "nobody deserves respect more." EVERYBODY deserves respect, whether they're from Minden, Nebraska, or New York City.

And we DID treat everyone with respect: my wife was "wrong," so we weren't wanted. That them there's just the facts.

And in case you're wondering, I'm originally from Iowa. Sioux City is dinky to New Yorkers, and a huge metropolis to somebody from northeast Nebraska.

Regardless, EVERYBODY deserves respect, NOBODY deserves it more or less than anyone else, and the adage of "if you give respect you'll get it" just isn't true all the time.

But I must also add this: we had the distinct feeling that before we moved that the town somehow expected us to kiss their a**es, almost a "we'll tolerate you if you do such and such," which may be why a lot of people from large cities may be experiencing.

But again I stress this: I truly think my family and I's experience in Nebraska really was totally extraordinary. It's the only place we've ever encountered racism, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 AM

189 posts, read 219,155 times
I personally prefer smaller towns and my 'ancestral home' is in the same rural area ColeSd and Chris19 kind of refer to.
When an opening came up in my company for Nebraska, I seized the opportunity to return. Alas, residency in/near Omaha was required.
I have not heard any negative talk here in Omaha about small towns, most came from there. Just that small towns and rural isolation are not for everyone. In fact that's why my family left Nebraska, my mother wanted to live 'in the city'
In elementary school in Sioux City, I was a 'fish out of water', looked down on by native 'city kids'.
It works both ways though, bgrams7. Your mother moved to a big city also and probably does not care for small towns.
When visiting rural areas of NE I have found mentioning that I live in Omaha is a real conversation stopper. Just as when I'm in Lincoln and mention I live in Omaha.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrams7 View Post
Just try it, because all this talk degrading the people in the western 2/3rds of the state is a load of B.S. and proves to me that some people from the eastern part of the state, especially Omaha in particular, have over-inflated egos that think they're better than they are.
I don't see it.

I live in the Omaha metro area and I don't run across the folks that you claim degrade the rest of the state. I also don't think most folks I run across in outstate Nebraska fell the way you do that most Omahan's have over-inflated egos. When I'm in Omaha or I'm traveling Central and West I run across people that have pride in their state rural or metro.

The one difference I hear is when it comes to a lack of understanding on the unique economic issues - people without a rural background don't understand (generally) the water or ag issues and the folks without a metro background don't understand (generally) traffic and infrastructure concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska