Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times

Advertisements

I currently live in south Florida and have 25+ years experience in horticulture. Is there a botanical garden in Nebraska? do they have a conservatory? I would love to leave hurricaneland and go back to my midwestern roots (from Indiana).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
You might try Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Any other comments?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
We have one of the best zoos in the world, that take horticulture very serious.
Home | Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo

I would recommend getting plugged into one of the state associations to network... here are a couple:
Nebraska Nursery and Landscape Association
UNL | Extension Horticulture

Follow-up with the Arbor Day Foundation, they are headquartered in Nebraska (1/2 way between Omaha and Lincoln):
Trees - Arbor Day Foundation

Not sure if you like turf work, but this area probably has the highest ratio of golf courses to people...
Nebraska Golf Association

There are also some large landscaping companies that have horticulturists due to the seriouseness of that business around here.
http://www.buildingtradesdir.com/gui...landscape.html

Previous recommendation for Lauritzen was excellent - here is their site:
https://www.omahabotanicalgardens.org/

Old 01-20-2009, 04:12 PM

45 posts, read 198,743 times
Some great links, but one very important one is missing. The Nebraska Statewide Arboretum. Most of the arboretums and botanical gardens in the state are listed on this site, you may be surprised by the number of them.
Nebraska Statewide Arboretum

Adam

Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Hi plantlover! I moved from the deep south last year - Zone 9 to a Zone 4. Right now I am experimenting with different plants in the Sandhills (Central region, very near the SD line) to see what will grow and what won't. It is fun... There are some things that I can finally grow here that the hot and humid South wouldn't let me. But I have twin orange trees doing very well - 20 new leaves since Christmas! - in my large south window! There is a foot of snow outside... grin. Thinking about burying a greenhouse in the side of one of my hills to help keep it warm. There isn't a lot of variety where we are; cattle and corn mostly, a few backyard gardens with standard plants. I want to see what I can grow and help others to grow. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: