Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times

Advertisements

Please help!

I will be flying up to NE at the end of March; destination central NE (Cherry County). What's the best airport to fly into - North Platte, Omaha, Rapid City SD, Denver - where?
I have a (good grief!!!!!) 5-hour layover in Atlanta if I fly into Rapid City, will be enplaned or stuck in an airport from 9AM til 11 PM, and the prices are ridiculous. Where do ya'll fly into and out of when you fly, and why?

I'll need one where we can rent a car, too. Is an economy vehicle ok, or will I need something with a little more bulk for the weather changes? (The little economy we rented when we flew into Salt Lake was OK on the highway but not so good on the icy back roads in Dec!)

Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
I think you can fly into Denver, and then take a smaller puddle jumper into NP. But don't hold me to that. I don't fly.

But if you could get to NP, that would be considerably closer than Rapid... (Or Omaha or DIA!)
I'm going to guess the best rates would be if you just flew into Denver, simply because they have far more airlines serving them than the others do.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
If you can get to North Platte or Kearney (both will come from Denver) that would be your closest options. Last I knew flights to Kearney were not horribly priced, so I'm guessing North Platte isn't either. However, you will have only a couple options for car rental companies. Omaha is just a tiny bit closer, and you will be in-state in case the car rental has that rule. You might also check rates for Lincoln, Sioux City and Sioux Falls. All those will be a little closer than Denver or Omaha but a farther than Rapid City, North Platte or Kearney.

If you mean end of March, like after Easter (Hard to believe Easter is going to be in March this year) I'm going to go ahead a say get the economy car. While it is entirely possible to get a snowstorm late in March, chances are we will be starting to transition into spring. If it does snow, it will probably melt quickly, so you won't be dealing with snowpacked roads for day on end. I would be more concerned, if you are going to be on a lot of unpaved county roads looking at properties, about muddy roads.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Nebraska.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
I would be more concerned, if you are going to be on a lot of unpaved county roads looking at properties, about muddy roads.
I wouldn't worry too much about mud around Valentine.
Mud requires dirt.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
Your totally right, what was I thinking If they don't get enough gravel on them, they are literally sand roads, and they are not fun when they are wet but can be fun when dry. At least, thats they way it is between Taylor and Brewster where I have driven.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Whew! Thanks, Ya'll. It's my daughter's first time flying (she's 24!) and I want it to be as stress free as possible for her. 5 hours in an airport and a late arrival will not be a great intro to the horrors of flying. The tiny seats and slivered aisles are bad enough. If it wasn't for time constraints, we'd be more comfortable a-horseback!

I'm just glad Airport Security finally quit strip-searching me at every airport. At 50 with grey hair, short, chubby, and an obviously Southern accent, do I look like a terrorist???? Apparently...

Isn't it funny how everywhere else they put sand on the roads to help with traction in the snow?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:15 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,072 times
I have clients that come in from around the country to finally end up in the Valentine area. I always suggest flying into Omaha to them, renting a car from there, its roughly a 5-5 1/2 hour drive from there. I would suggest Enterprise for rentals, simply because if you would have a problem with a car/SUV, there are locations closer than any other rental outfits.

You can save money by not taking that puddle jumper into Kearney or North Platte. Car rental from Enterprise is going to be the same per day with no mileage at either place from my experience.

Not knowing the length of your stay or where you are wanting to go, I probably wouldn't suggest an economy car, weather can turn quite quickly around there and you could pay for it.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 53,658 times
Flew into Sioux City, Iowa in June 2004 and was quite pleased with the whole experience at that airport. It is a small airport right off the interstate and near a Wal-mart...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska