U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 PM

73 posts, read 299,886 times

Advertisements

Hello-

We currently live in AZ, and my wife is considering taking an RN position with the IHS hospital in Pine Ridge.

We are just trying to figure out what towns would be the best place to live. We are looking at Hot Springs and Chadron NE. Are we missing any other towns that might be closer to Pine Ridge? We have four school age kids, so we don't want to live in a tiny town.

Chadron looks like a nice town and has everything we would need (Wal-Mart lol!) and according to mapqest, Pine Ridge is only 38 miles away, which really isn't far. Might take longer during snow storm.

Hot Springs looks like a nice place but, the commute is 54 miles. Rushville NE, is probably the closet town, but just not big enough for us. Hot Springs is closer to Rapid City which would also be handy. Does Hot Springs have a Wal-Mart or some other store like that?

We would probably only be there for 2-4 years at max, so we will just rent. My wife is hoping to become an officer with U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.

Any feedback would be appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 PM

31,136 posts, read 29,042,556 times
Although it’s been years since I was last in Chadron and several of the other nearby towns, Chadron is as good as you’ll find with most everything you need. Rushville and Gordon are smaller with less services then Chadron so I think that’s your best bet. I hope your family like COLD weather and winter; it’s very hard up there in that end of the state. The wind blows and it’s very cold. You might need a four wheel drive vehicle to get around in the snow and ice. Hunting season is great if you have an interest in it.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:22 AM

1,956 posts, read 2,484,747 times
I'm not sure what your background is, but if you have never lived in the a very rural area then this will be a cultural shock to you and your wife. The drive from Chadron to Pine Ridge could be brutal in bad weather and if you have a break down there are almost no services available.

You may want to research the history of Pine Ridge. I'm just saying this to make you aware of the issues there.

Not sure what the rental properties are like or if there is any such thing there. But, buying a house is amazingly cheap in that area.

I can only speak for myself, but I would consider getting an self contained RV to live in. An RV allows the option of moving closer to Pine Ridge if the commute becomes to much.

This area is one of the most lightly populated areas of the country and its not uncommon to only see other vehicles on the road every hour or so, especially on the weekends.

The area North of Pine Ridge is even more desolate then the Nebraska side.

Did you consider Hot Springs in South Dakota, that would be far better then Chadron and it is only 10 mins further driving time. Hot Springs is actually a semi Vacation town in a better setting in the Southern Black Hills. I was in Hot Springs a few years ago and really enjoyed it. More restaurants, more things to do. Keep in mind that the taxes are much lower in SD the in Nebraska. I could see the wife and me moving there permanently but I could not see us living in Chadron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska