U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 05:00 PM

34 posts, read 419,280 times

Advertisements

Lol, so hilarious. I just moved here from Lincoln (via Las Vegas) and it's just so funny that the "small town" atmosphere is pretty much exact to what is stereotypical.

The Hy-Vee opening appears to be the biggest thing that has ever happened to G.I. I've stopped at 3 different places today, and was asked at 2 of the 3 if I had "been to the new Hy-Vee yet"

P.S. yes i've been to the new Hy-Vee, and it is pretty nice, but it isn't changing grocery store history or anything.

In keeping with my new small town ties...anyone else in GI been over to the new Hy-Vee yet?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,796,678 times
No, we ran to G.I. for some errands tonight and the parking lot was full. It will be nice to have Hy-vee in G.I, they bring a different kind of grocery store to the city. I know its kinda crazy how its a big deal, but its better than talking about crime or something like that. Its not limited to small towns either, I'm sure there was people talking in Omaha when Costco opened up.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,403,879 times
I am from Sioux Falls, SD area and there are five large Hy-Vees up here. They keep pretty busy. The stores are generally clean, spacious, and have a lot of variety. When I head through Grand Island, I should stop by and check it out. I am a Hy-Vee fan and hope the one in Grand Island does well for all of you in central Nebraska.

When did it open up? Just out of curiosity.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,819,707 times
I will have a can of Heee-Haw in your honor, Grand Island.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I am from Sioux Falls, SD area and there are five large Hy-Vees up here. They keep pretty busy. The stores are generally clean, spacious, and have a lot of variety. When I head through Grand Island, I should stop by and check it out. I am a Hy-Vee fan and hope the one in Grand Island does well for all of you in central Nebraska.

It just opened up on Tuesday.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM

44 posts, read 142,920 times
I have lived in Grand Island for about a year and a half. My family and I moved here from Idaho. We are getting ready to put our house up for sale because we are being relocated.
As far as the HyVee goes, I was there the day it opened. I HATE wal-mart and was looking forward to the ORganic section that HyVee offered! It has been difficult finding organic and higher end food products here. I did realize that I was pretty pathetic being excited for a grocery store, but I have been without a nice one for soooo long!
I wish there were more things to do for children in the winter here. We will be sad to move since we have met some great people here. It does have the "Small Town" and "who's Who" mentality here though, that is for sure!!
Meredith

Old 02-21-2008, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post

I have lived in Grand Island for just under two years now. I grew up with Hy-Vee in Omaha and I have been more than excited for it to open. To your point Chris, yes, Hy Vee is very clean and a way better shopping experience than WalMart of any other local grocery store can offer.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,403,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gisbuxfan View Post
I have lived in Grand Island for just under two years now. I grew up with Hy-Vee in Omaha and I have been more than excited for it to open. To your point Chris, yes, Hy Vee is very clean and a way better shopping experience than WalMart of any other local grocery store can offer.
How is the the new Grand Island Hy-Vee? I am curious about that. I visited its website and the store looked lively and neat. It looks similar to the recently relocated Hy-Vee in Sioux Falls that is supposed one of the largest stores in the company.

My guess is that Hy-Vee would expand to other larger towns such as Hastings and Kearny as logical expansion targets as the one in Grand Island does well. It would not surprise me that they would open more stores in the region and Grand Island itself once it gets more established in the area.

Sioux Falls may end up getting another few Hy-Vees in the future with the city gaining 3,000 people a year and some of its bedroom communities mushrooming in population.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM

I still haven't been in there, but there parking lot has been full everytime I have gone by. That would be great if they wanted to expand to Hastings or Kearney, it would really do well in Kearney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska