Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

29 posts, read 120,875 times

Advertisements

Would you agree we can travel back and forth from Mexico, but Mexicans cannot do the same? Why is that? They are our neighbors just as Canada is, yet they cannot legally cross back and forth. Is it because the brown people are seen as less worthy? Because some say they bring us disease? Crime? I would like some opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuge51 View Post
Would you agree we can travel back and forth from Mexico, but Mexicans cannot do the same? Why is that? They are our neighbors just as Canada is, yet they cannot legally cross back and forth. Is it because the brown people are seen as less worthy? Because some say they bring us disease? Crime? I would like some opinions on this.
I think that completely misses the point.

It's completely situational. If Mexico weren't in such bad shape (drugs, crime/gangs, healthcare, poverty, economy, etc) we would never have seen such a dramatic influx of Mexicans and those problems probably wouldn't exist as we know it today.

So yes, there is a double standard. You have to make that standard when you know it will directly effect the quality of life here in the US.

You can help another country without damaging your own at the same time.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
I did not say that we sould open the borders. I do think that we should have imagration restrictions. My point was that we should try to fix the problem, not slap a billion dollar band aid on it. If the Mexican peoples quality of life were improved then they would have no need to come here illegaly.
But is it our responsibility to improve the quality of life in another country??/ I do understand what you are saying and yes, if their lives were easier they wouldn't not be coming here, but how much of what we are seeing has to do with drugs and drugs coming into our country? How do we stop that? I am just asking, I don't know..I do know you can't just forgive all the illegals that are here now. Reagan tried that, look at what we got?

Nita

Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But is it our responsibility to improve the quality of life in another country??/ I do understand what you are saying and yes, if their lives were easier they wouldn't not be coming here, but how much of what we are seeing has to do with drugs and drugs coming into our country? How do we stop that? I am just asking, I don't know..I do know you can't just forgive all the illegals that are here now. Reagan tried that, look at what we got?

Nita

It would not only benifit Mexico, but also the U.S. I think that the money being spent on this border fence should be used to jump start the mexican economy. We could hire U.S. workers at a fair wage to build hospitals, schools, etc there which would benifit our economy as well. Lots of people like to say that America is the greatest country on earth. I think helping other countries, especialy friendly neighbor countries, would go a long way to making that true. As far as the drug trade is concerned.......legalize all drugs and have the government be responsible for distribution and taxes? That is a whole other issue that probably deserves its own thread.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times
Quote:
legalize all drugs and have the government be responsible for distribution and taxes? That is a whole other issue that probably deserves its own thread.
lol, nooooooooooo. I've seen how dangerous people on meth can be first hand. That would not be good

Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It would not only benifit Mexico, but also the U.S. I think that the money being spent on this border fence should be used to jump start the mexican economy. We could hire U.S. workers at a fair wage to build hospitals, schools, etc there which would benifit our economy as well. Lots of people like to say that America is the greatest country on earth. I think helping other countries, especialy friendly neighbor countries, would go a long way to making that true. As far as the drug trade is concerned.......legalize all drugs and have the government be responsible for distribution and taxes? That is a whole other issue that probably deserves its own thread.
well you certainly have a right to your views, but I am not sure any of them would work. I think you are over simplifying the problems. You say let US workers build hospitals etc. I beleive that would have to come from the Mexican government, do you think they are just going to let us come into their country, with our workers and start building hospitals, schools etc?

As for the drug issue, I don't think so. We aleady have enough problems with alcohal, we don't need to legalize any other drugs. Don't get me wrong, I love my wine, but I don't want all drugs legal. I can see it now, I send my husband to the store for eggs and remind him, on the way home stop and get me some LSD or maybe a little COKE>.

Nita

Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,155 times
Quote:
well you certainly have a right to your views, but I am not sure any of them would work. I think you are over simplifying the problems. You say let US workers build hospitals etc. I beleive that would have to come from the Mexican government, do you think they are just going to let us come into their country, with our workers and start building hospitals, schools etc?

As for the drug issue, I don't think so. We aleady have enough problems with alcohal, we don't need to legalize any other drugs. Don't get me wrong, I love my wine, but I don't want all drugs legal. I can see it now, I send my husband to the store for eggs and remind him, on the way home stop and get me some LSD or maybe a little COKE>.

Nita
I don't claim to be a professional on the subject, or have all the answers. I am just kicking around some ideas. There would have to be a great amount of cooperation between the two governments, but I don't think that the Mexican government would say no to billions of dollars of free infrastructure improvements. As far as drugs are concerned; to me this is a far greater problem to both the U.S. and Mexico than illegal imagration. The drugs are here already and are controlled by gangs who do a lot of crime in the persuit of more drugs/more dollars. The demand is high in the U.S. and the gangs are filling the void to make a buck. If the government controls these substances then the profits are taken away from the gangs. I think this would lessen street violence on a very appreciable scale.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I don't claim to be a professional on the subject, or have all the answers. I am just kicking around some ideas. There would have to be a great amount of cooperation between the two governments, but I don't think that the Mexican government would say no to billions of dollars of free infrastructure improvements. As far as drugs are concerned; to me this is a far greater problem to both the U.S. and Mexico than illegal imagration. The drugs are here already and are controlled by gangs who do a lot of crime in the persuit of more drugs/more dollars. The demand is high in the U.S. and the gangs are filling the void to make a buck. If the government controls these substances then the profits are taken away from the gangs. I think this would lessen street violence on a very appreciable scale.
yes drugs are here, but that is like what you said about the illegals being here; by not taking any action, just cause they are here what are we solving? As for gangs, I was raised in So California in a pretty middle class part of Los Angles and it was way before most of you were even born. Although our little community was pretty much drug free and crime free (everythiing was then) do you know, just 5 miles from where we went to high school there were big time gang problems. This had nothing to do with drugs or very little. Gangs have been around for as long as any of us can imagine,they are just a little more open now and have spread their wings...

Nita

Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 18,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinewest View Post
We are thinking of moving back to Nebraska b/c the state we live in now has become overrun with illegal immigrants. From what I've been reading, though, it seems like at least some parts of Nebraska are having the same problem?

We were looking at moving to the Columbus, NE area. Does anyone know if this area is experiencing an influx of illegal immigrants?
Thank you.
For one thing, have you checked all of their immagration status?? how do you know they are all illegals?? they may be here legally, you don't know!!
As for moving to a place where there are no so called, "illegal immigrants"? well try Jupiter, there's a place for people like you.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 18,982 times
Quote:

Nita
Well as for the drugs, gangs, and all the other stuff mentioned that so called "illegals" bring to this country, even if there were no illegals here, America would still have this problem. You see, in places such as Mexico, the Mexican drug problem, is because the Drug dealers there, sell to the Americans here. If the Americans and others that live in the US would not purchase drugs, then guess what? no drug problem. So weather or not, drugs, gangs, etc. are not just caused by Mexicans, they are caused by "humans" in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska