Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 AM

381 posts, read 277,269 times

Advertisements

Well to add to this thread count me and the wife will be visiting Omaha next year in sept for 4/5 days on a road trip taking in Milwaukee,Minneapolis,Des Moines.Looking forward to visiting and I am sure there will be enough things to see and do around Omaha and surrounding areas.Any recommendations welcome, cheers john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:38 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
^^^The zoo, the Old Market, and the SAC Museum are must-sees.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Has anyone been to the Stuhr Museum in Grand Island? Is it hokey or pretty good? I'm in the mood for a road trip weekend, and want to hit the Pioneer Village in Minden and maybe also the Stuhr.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^The zoo, the Old Market, and the SAC Museum are must-sees.

That would be my top 3 also.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Has anyone been to the Stuhr Museum in Grand Island? Is it hokey or pretty good? I'm in the mood for a road trip weekend, and want to hit the Pioneer Village in Minden and maybe also the Stuhr.
The Stuhr museum is good but the best time to see it is during the summer months, when the living history part of the museum is open. Right now that part of the museum is closed; you can walk around the old buildings, but can't go inside them and there are no living history re-enactors there. You can only go inside the main museum building (which houses a very interesting history display on how the Grand Island area developed) and the smaller building behind it (which houses a collection of Western artifacts) to see exhibits.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Thanks, Ar..., that's exactly what I needed to know! Guess I'll wait for that particular trip till right when the historic re-enactments begin again. Can't deal with a mid summer weather trip there, though.

What about the Valentine area? It would be a nice day drive over and back for me. Is there anything fun to do there in early December?

Might as well take advantage of this no-snow winter we're having thus far.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:30 PM

^^^You could still do the parts of Stuhr that are open, and the Pioneer Village (which will easily take an entire day all on its own). I can't think of anything specific in Valentine to see or do other than perhaps seeing Smith Falls (Valentine's a very small town, abet cute), but of course it's not far from Valentine to Badlands National Park, Wall SD (home of the (in)famous Wall Drug), and the Minuteman Missile Site Historical Monument https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm. You didn't say where you're starting point is, but if you're east of Valentine and are willing to take US 20 to Valentine via Neligh you could check out Neligh Mill Neligh Mill State Historic Site in Nebraska, which is a fun visit. Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park is also well worth a visit and is on that route, but unfortunately it closes for the winter Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park.

Edited to Add: And I can't agree more about wanting to road-trip in this unseasonably very fine weather! I wish I could take a day or two off of work to make a long weekend so I could drive out to Red Cloud and see Willa Cather's old house (a trip I've wanted to do for several years). Alas, I can't get the time off.

Last edited by Aredhel; 11-30-2017 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Oh, good info! Thank you!

The Badlands are a little too far, I think. I love driving Highway 20 and recommend it to everyone. I've never been to Neligh Mill and it looks cool, but it is closed now for the winter off-season. So is Ashfall, shoot!

Maybe I'll just do a 2 day trip to Minden - the museum is open 9 - 4:30 daily (for anyone else interested in a winter trip.) Looks like the Cather house is only about an hour away from Minden, thanks for telling me about that! It is open during the week but only half a day on Sats and closed Suns in the winter.

I'd go to Omaha but it gives me palpitations to drive in the traffic there.

(Does anyone from Omaha want to go to Trader Joe's for me and meet me at the SD border for an exchange? )

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 11-30-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 PM

You're very welcome!

Helpful hint for the traffic-averse: if you're coming from the west and want to come into Omaha, take US 6 instead of Interstate 80. Pick it up west of Lincoln, and then get off of it at either Harrison Street or West Center Street just west of Omaha proper. That way you have a reasonably relaxing drive at moderate speeds all the way, with only one slightly tricky traffic bit near the Lincoln airport. Al the really nasty traffic in Omaha is on the interstate or on Dodge Street (which is what US 6 becomes when it enters Omaha). The other major Omaha roads are a piece of cake compared to driving on those two!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:04 PM

I've never driven 75 all the way down into Omaha; what's it like? Does it get gnarly in the city itself?

Or is there another secret calm route to take coming down from eastern SD?

I'd rather take longer to get there if I can just not have to worry about being smushed by a big rig or crashed into by a jerkwad in a sports car weaving around in multiple lanes going 120 miles an hour while he texts or die of inhaling exhaust fumes while stuck in multiple lanes of traffic filled with road ragers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska