Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:25 PM

106 posts, read 67,699 times

Advertisements

Well, someone needed to, in my estimation. Have been back here @ City-Data forums for a week now and no new posts for Nebraska... for no less than 3 weeks since the last fresh one was posted. In this time since my return, for Kansas there are 3 new posts, 4 for South Dakota, 6 for Iowa, 8 for Wyoming, 6 for Missouri, and 18 for Colorado for crying out loud. They've got us surrounded. Circle Up!

Has something happened here in the background that anyone would care to make me aware of? Did people finally get that the big "N' on the University of Nebraska stands for 'Nowledge"? Are folks off boycotting one of our fine businesses like Runza or Cabellas? (if so then the news has escaped me so far) Weed legalized now? (that ain't gonna happen until teotwawki) Please, enlighten me!

Have had difficulties resurrecting my old account, the powers that be at CD being slower than steam off of cold biscuits in getting back with me over my pleas for assistance in getting "SandHills" back up and running. No word whatsoever back from them yet after my extensive love letter explaining my dilemma. May have to just let my 300+ posts with their 600+ reps go bye-bye. Ah well, It's All Good.

Anyhoo, am missing a few good folks who used to post here. Post away, this be your thread about whatever Nebraska you're wishing to kick around. Hey now... watch them pointy boots, Mr. Rancher, I'll show myself out, thank you very much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,169,504 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glu Glukan View Post
Well, someone needed to, in my estimation. Have been back here @ City-Data forums for a week now and no new posts for Nebraska... for no less than 3 weeks since the last fresh one was posted. In this time since my return, for Kansas there are 3 new posts, 4 for South Dakota, 6 for Iowa, 8 for Wyoming, 6 for Missouri, and 18 for Colorado for crying out loud. They've got us surrounded. Circle Up!

Has something happened here in the background that anyone would care to make me aware of? Did people finally get that the big "N' on the University of Nebraska stands for 'Nowledge"? Are folks off boycotting one of our fine businesses like Runza or Cabellas? (if so then the news has escaped me so far) Weed legalized now? (that ain't gonna happen until teotwawki) Please, enlighten me!

Have had difficulties resurrecting my old account, the powers that be at CD being slower than steam off of cold biscuits in getting back with me over my pleas for assistance in getting "SandHills" back up and running. No word whatsoever back from them yet after my extensive love letter explaining my dilemma. May have to just let my 300+ posts with their 600+ reps go bye-bye. Ah well, It's All Good.

Anyhoo, am missing a few good folks who used to post here. Post away, this be your thread about whatever Nebraska you're wishing to kick around. Hey now... watch them pointy boots, Mr. Rancher, I'll show myself out, thank you very much.

Thanks for the post & for the smile
Sorry that you had a hard time logging into your old account.
I have also wondered why it is so quiet around here Well, at least people do not get into trouble, LOL

Old 07-12-2017, 02:58 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,514 times
No one ever posts from the sand hills because no one lives there. Almost no one.

If I win the lottery, I'll move there.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:10 AM

958 posts, read 1,138,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glu Glukan View Post

Very few postings as there is little interest in moving there. Pretty simple. Cold. Smart people dont want to live there and the well educated are leaving in droves. Not attractive to conservatives due to high taxes. Not attractive to liberals for obvious reasons.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,332,477 times
Lack on conflict among current residents and under the radar of those looking to relocate?

Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM

18,139 posts, read 25,677,552 times
A lot of different state forums are kinda slow in the summer, particularly the central states. I took a peek at the total page count regarding threads for Nebraska and neighboring states and here is what I come up with.

Nebraska-54
Kansas-64
South Dakota-70
Iowa-81
Oklahoma-105
Missouri-113
North Dakota-123

Old 07-13-2017, 04:25 PM

115 posts, read 202,975 times
It's because there's nothing going on here but exorbitant taxes, and unreal rents, prices and housing.
I read something yesterday on a North Platte Chamber of commerce site or somewhere that Nebraska is number two in relocation for jobs. Now my question is...where are these jobs AT? Sure, not in North Platte, the hind end of space.
I'm getting ready to pack and get out of here anyway, unrealistic State to live in and retire to.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:06 PM

I make two trips a year to the Omaha/Council Bluffs area to visit a couple long time high school friends. They left the Denver area in the 1990-93 time frame because of double digit unemployment. They see what's going on over there nowadays and they have no desire to go back.

The last several trips I have made I see changes to some of my favorite mom and pop restaurants, truck stops, motels. More and more corporate. Less and less individual businesses. I've heard the pioneer monument that is over Interstate 80 in Kearney has financial difficulty.

And speaking of corporate, the next time I hear Motel 6 spouting their schmiel regarding them being the lowest price of any national chain, I want to grab my barf bag. When I leave the Grand Junction area I meander over the high country and come into Laramie at I-80. I get a room for the night in Kimball. Not much going on there either but lots of friendly folks live there.

I'm aware of what is going on in Nebraska, it's sad to hear those problems. Every now and then I pull in KFAB late at night. Big time signal-50,000 watt blowtorch station. I live just a tad over 800 miles away from Omaha. And I listen in to local issues when I can.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 PM

106 posts, read 67,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

The last several trips I have made I see changes to some of my favorite mom and pop restaurants, truck stops, motels. More and more corporate. Less and less individual businesses. I've heard the pioneer monument that is over Interstate 80 in Kearney has financial difficulty.

Pity, what's going on. Used to be in these United States of America that the rich got richer and the poor got richer. Now the rich are increasing in numbers and the poor are continuing to sink into worse poverty. Millionaires now comprise about 7% of all households in this nation. Trickle-down? My anal orifice! Seems we allowed ourselves to get too comfortable and distracted as the decline was happening as well as how it's all come down.

Sad to hear about the challenges the Pioneer Monument is having now. Such a striking archway that slowly appears out of miles of flatness. Will never forget the first time I ever saw it. Hope it gets dug out of its present difficulties.

Quote:

...the next time I hear Motel 6 spouting their schmiel regarding them being the lowest price of any national chain, I want to grab my barf bag. When I leave the Grand Junction area I meander over the high country and come into Laramie at I-80. I get a room for the night in Kimball. Not much going on there either but lots of friendly folks live there.

Leaving the light on for us must have run up their power bills. Last I stayed in one was near Portland, Oregon over 6 years ago. In few words, it was dismal and expensive. Nothing like the ones our family used to stay in during the torturous annual 2 parents & 3 kids station wagon vacation trip in the '60s. Those M6s were nice back then... and only 20 bucks with a free roll-a-way bed for my little brother.

And yes: Kimball is a great place to get your rest and mix it up a bit with the local gentry before traveling on.

Quote:

I'm aware of what is going on in Nebraska, it's sad to hear those problems. Every now and then I pull in KFAB late at night. Big time signal-50,000 watt blowtorch station. I live just a tad over 800 miles away from Omaha. And I listen in to local issues when I can.

Was missing the panhandle, having lived more of my adult life here than anywhere else, recently moving back years later. It's the Sand Hills that beckoned me mainly, loving these wide-open, undulating, clean lands. Here now, in less than 5 weeks after moving back, am ready to pull the plug and head back out, regarding it all an unconventional vacation of sorts. No regrets. Finding the right place to retire can be a bear these days.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Your opinion and experiences count. Make a difference...

Old 07-13-2017, 11:20 PM

Another one of the things that concerns me is a cool exhibit of Americana--Pioneer Village near Minden in south central Nebraska, maybe a 3 hour drive southwest of Omaha. It is a huge museum built in the 1950's that has thousands of American artifacts.

I haven't been to the museum in about a decade but over the last several years it has been having a lot of problems. One of them is annual attendance. Where at the start of the decade they were still pulling in over 100,000 in attendance, it has slipped to 40,000. Sad because its Americana in the truest sense of the word IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska