Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM

20 posts, read 67,880 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm very new here, but we are thinking of moving to NW/NC Nebraska and was told this is the place for my questions. Anyway, is there anything for jobs around Valentine? Especially in the auto parts/automotive fields? And how about real estate? We'd love a few acres out of town to raise the kids and animals on. Basically, I guess, it boils down to we'd love to move out there, but can we make it? Thanks for any and all help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,129,772 times
We would be glad to help you with your questions. Looking in the yellow pages on line it looks like there is a couple local auto parts stores and also some tire and auto repair centers. I'm sure there is also some more independent mechanic's around that might hire you. Also, there is a napa and some repair shops in Mission, SD which is 30 miles north if you are willing to drive. There is also several real estate agencies in town it looks like. I found those business' on the yahoo yellow pages.

Valentine is nice town, in such a pretty area, and I'm sure you can make it if you work at it hard enough. A lot of times in these smaller towns, just give the city clerk a call and they will give you all kinds of information and contacts. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,206,495 times
You can probably get a job, but I would definately find the job before moving.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 PM

tpabes, thanks! I'll check the yahoo yellow pages, sorry, I'm not very internet literate yet.

itsMeFred, that was the general plan. We would like to run out for a weekend or so and kind of job hunt, but would like to have an idea of what's out there first.

Thanks guys!!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,651,267 times
though to cross the county it's in, you have to drive about 2 hours, though i doubt you would need to, good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
If you just want the area and not Valentine specifically, you might check as far east as Bassett ... might open a couple more options between Ainsworth (45 miles from Valentine) and Bassett (60 miles from Valentine)

6 links that might help you (3 town & 3 county)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,534,917 times
Bassett has a couple auto repair shops in town, the larger car dealer who used to be there is long gone now. If you look at the Bassett area, you may want a background in doing farm equipment repair also. That would help.

Ainsworth has a large car dealer in it with a big shop.

Valentine has a couple car dealers in it, might be your best shot at something.

Not sure I would hit them on a weekend, you may not find the person around who you need to talk too.

Another thing to think about is some of the larger ranch operations in these areas, some look for mechanics, but you would also want a ranch background as it wouldn't be turning wrenches all the time I am sure.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
If mechanically inclined Sandhill Implement is just west of Bassett... pretty large operation

Old 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks all! We're not limiting it to Valentine, it just seemed to be one of the bigger towns around and so more likely to have jobs. That's the kind of thing that you just can't tell from the next state over. I've personally liked what I've read about Ainsworth. I like small.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,129,772 times
Valentine is the biggest town in north central Nebraska, the hub if you will of a pretty desolate area in terms of population. Ainsworth is the next biggest town in the area and would also be a good choice. These towns are small but because of their distance from larger population they have more shops and services because the people need them locally. I noticed you also said northwest Nebraska, so you might want to consider Chadron also, another nice town in a beautiful area. It is bigger (over 5,000) pop. with a college and a few more opportunties for jobs.

Other nice possibilites if you want to head more east, would be Atkinson and O'Neill and if you wanted to head more south, Broken Bow and Ord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska