Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,330 times

Advertisements

So guys I need help,I’ve just been offered a very well paying job in my hometown of Mccook NE,but from what I remember as a child,it hasn’t always been very diverse. So now that I’m 21 I am engaged to a black woman,I myself being a white guy,and I’m just really worried because Mccook is dominately white and I don’t want to move somewhere which makes my fiancé uncomfortable because no job is worth that. So guys please help like I’m really in a panic about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM

173 posts, read 345,544 times
If you are from there, you should have a general idea from your experience growing up there. Just because a place is not very diverse doesn't mean it isn't tolerant. Maybe take your wife to be for a visit and see what she thinks. And remember no place is totally free of of people who are judgmental or bigoted, so think of the community in general, not just the loudest or meanest people.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBoxBoy View Post
So guys I need help,I’ve just been offered a very well paying job in my hometown of Mccook NE,but from what I remember as a child,it hasn’t always been very diverse. So now that I’m 21 I am engaged to a black woman,I myself being a white guy,and I’m just really worried because Mccook is dominately white and I don’t want to move somewhere which makes my fiancé uncomfortable because no job is worth that. So guys please help like I’m really in a panic about it.

With a prison there I would think that it is somewhat diverse. Like mentioned, if you're from there and only 21 years old it hasn't been very long since you left. My guess is no one on this board would have a better idea about this than you.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Y’all...I haven’t been there in 15 years,I don’t know what it’s like as of now,but thanks anyway

Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
If you are from there, you should have a general idea from your experience growing up there. Just because a place is not very diverse doesn't mean it isn't tolerant. Maybe take your wife to be for a visit and see what she thinks. And remember no place is totally free of of people who are judgmental or bigoted, so think of the community in general, not just the loudest or meanest people.
I totally agree. I grew up in a farm community, lived there until I was married, and lets say the only real diversity came from migrant workers. That being said I dated and married a black gal and the only issues we had was that we weren't getting married soon enough. Not to say there wont be some people who don't like it, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about how many people it isn't a big deal for.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:19 AM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
I know a mixed couple in Georgia. Him white, her AA. The bit of friction they have experienced in their community has come from the AA folks. There is way too much assumption that white people are automatically racist.

I suggest you contact some locals in McCook and simply ask them about the environment. Call a few pastors as a start. If there is a local paper, call the editor. Do some on the ground investigating.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:50 AM

I mean can you blame me? My race of people don’t have the cleanest track record,but I get it.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Quote:
I mean can you blame me? My race of people don’t have the cleanest track record,but I get it.
Of course the best thing is to always research a place before you commit to it. If race is a potential issue then check things out. But asking people on CD ain't much help. McCook is not Detroit or LA. For my part, I would be concerned about many issues in a destination. The thing is, mixed marriages are still fairly new to the culture. Hope things work out for you.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
I went to Nebraska for the eclipse. We were just west of Grand Isle Nebraska. I was telling someone how much I love Fargo and how the were mostly tall blond white people but they were very accepting. (American Indians made up the poor subculture, while there was some stand offishness they were not disliked) The gentleman told me that Nebraska had been very kind to him and his mixed race family. I was surprised as western Iowa isn't as easy going as Eastern North Dakota.

Maybe people in rural Nebraska are just happy to see another human.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska