Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 PM

262 posts, read 202,462 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is from Nebraska and wants to move home soon. I have visited with her a few times and I love it. The place is full of very kind people who seem genuinely nice and that’s the type of place that I would like to live.

I have been a hard worker all of my life and I have relatively found a little trouble finding work no matter where in the country I have left. However I am wondering what it is like for a felon to find a job in Omaha. My Felonise are non-violent, non-sexual non-theft or drug related crimes. And they are over 10 years old. I am almost 30 years old and I have been in sales and restaurants and construction most of my life and do not complain about the mistake that I made when I was 15 years old. Yes it is still on my record yes I still have to deal with it, No I cannot have it expunged yet. My only option is to be honest about a conviction that was over 10 years ago for me.

Just curious if this would be a major detriment to a happy life in Omaha.

I appreciate any and all advice, and ideas. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 AM

262 posts, read 202,462 times
Bump

Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I'll chime in since no one else is answering.

A few years ago, I worked with a prison transition program. You have a leg up on them because it has been a few years, and I assume that you have a clean record.

Be advised that there will be some employers out there who aren't going to hire you: that's just how they are. Don't take that personally. One tip: always put "15 years ago -- best explained in person" in the felony section. Don't try to cram your life story into one line.

As long as you've kept a clean record and are upfront about the felony, I think you'll eventually get work. It'll be easier if you have great references who know of each other -- network if at all possible before you come to Omaha. Ask everyone you know if they have Omaha connections and start there.

Some men in your position start their own businesses. Your construction experience might make you a good candidate to be a handyman or to become a contractor. I'm sure you have some ideas as well.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:37 PM

87 posts, read 95,859 times
Thank you, Meemur, for your kindness.. I love this! Good Luck and Be Blessed AD480!

Create your own luck, and look into the Law of Opposites.

xoxo

Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Didn't it just occur that employer's can't ask you to "check the box" to see if you are a felon on applications?

I honestly don't think you should worry about it and I don't think you should disclose it either.

Put it completely behind you and don't even think about it.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:03 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I honestly don't think you should worry about it and I don't think you should disclose it either.
Sorry, extremely poor advice! Many employers/HR staff check. A lot of the time, if the candidate was upfront about what happened and put a positive spin on it, no problem. Cover it up . . . instant job termination.

Not worth the risk.

Obviously, if the OP has the money, getting that record sealed would be the best way to go. However, it can cost several thousand dollars these days, and who has that sort of money?

Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
My girlfriend is from Nebraska and wants to move home soon. I have visited with her a few times and I love it. The place is full of very kind people who seem genuinely nice and that’s the type of place that I would like to live.

I have been a hard worker all of my life and I have relatively found a little trouble finding work no matter where in the country I have left. However I am wondering what it is like for a felon to find a job in Omaha. My Felonise are non-violent, non-sexual non-theft or drug related crimes. And they are over 10 years old. I am almost 30 years old and I have been in sales and restaurants and construction most of my life and do not complain about the mistake that I made when I was 15 years old. Yes it is still on my record yes I still have to deal with it, No I cannot have it expunged yet. My only option is to be honest about a conviction that was over 10 years ago for me.

Just curious if this would be a major detriment to a happy life in Omaha.

I appreciate any and all advice, and ideas. Thank you
Felonies- as in more than one?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 AM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
Sounds like it would be really expensive given the taxes on property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: