Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM

73 posts, read 567,717 times

Advertisements

Traveling thru Nebraska, is Kearney worth visiting? I know the Archway is there, should we visit it? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Kearney is a great stop for eating and staying overnight (lots of hotels and restaurants), not a great vacation destination, but you can spend some time here. I say go ahead a visit the arch, especially if you like history. It kinda gets a bad rap sometimes, but it is worth visiting at least once. Here is the site for it:
Great Platte River Road Archway: Home
Here is a list of attractions from the visitors bureau:
Visit Kearney - Attractions (http://visitkearney.org/VisitKearney/Attractions/attractions.asp - broken link)
Other historical places to visit are Ft. Kearney, Pioneer Village (in Minden, about 13 miles south of Minden exit on I-80), and on a smaller scale Trails and Rail Musuem.
Thunderhead brewery is a fun place to go, even just to eat and the Big Apple would be a great place to go if you are traveling with kids.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I have stopped in Kearney and would recommend the previously mentioned archway. I have been to the museum twice and see it when travelling to Colorado and points further west. The museum is very interest and is an interactive museum about history of the west and the settlement of the west. I am a history buff, so I love the museum.

The city has other fine attractions and it has a variety of motels and a reasonable selection of restaurants and gas stations. The people are friendly there too.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

24 posts, read 47,621 times
One thing that must be said is the town has a flavor to it. So many towns are simply bland. A very modest but potent gateway to a little discussed past. Visit but don't stay too long.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,919 times
Default Downtown

I would also recommend the Museum of Nebraska Art (MONA) and the Kearney Area Children's Museum, both located in Downtown Kearney. MONA is on the National Register of Historic Places and usually has 4 or 5 large name exhibits rotating through the galleries as well as an outdoor sculpture garden. If you are into cars, the Downtown also hosts the Nebraska Car Club show, Cruise Nite, there every year. On July 19, they will have hundreds of antique and classic cars on display.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Kearney is a nice small city out on the plains. It's a good stopover place as others have mentioned.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,198 times
yes yes yes The arch is great. Lots of good "live Band" places and good hotel and eating places. Shoppings not that bad either. Good place for a stay over on your way through Nebraska

Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Tom Tom,
Kearney is OK just about any time of the year. It is a college town if you are the right age to enjoy that. However mid March to mid April when the Sandhill cranes and other migratory birds are in the area is a sight you will always remember.

The Fall migration in October can be pretty impressive also.

Dennis

Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
For Art afficionados, the Museum of Nebraska Art in Kearney, houses the Nebraska art collection and features world class displays. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you have not yet visited this art museum.

For us boomers, the Archway museum is fascinating as it takes you through the history of American vacations and travel. Remember Mom making baloney sandwiches at a picnic site on your way through or to the West? I also learned, there, that a ticket for a stagecoach ride to San Francisco from here, cost about 500 dollars, in the 1800s. Lots to think about.

Carlos Poche, the chef at Bourbon St. Blues, which is inside Kearney's Ramada is an artist. No doubt about it. But, the great music is being played down at the Roman.........

And-----------If you are in Kearney, May 2nd, Do Not Miss! the Wine and Jazz festival, located on the No. side of MONA, 25th and Central. Starts at 4 PM. Tickets are 20 bucks and include tastings, music--Thalkin, Tesdall and Thalkin, Wes Hird, etc etc--food from Chartwells and The Venue a-y-nd the first 1000 visitors get to keep their souvenir glass. All inside a tent.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,056 times
What is the perminent collection at the MONA like? I love museums and have never been there. Is it based on Nebraska themed art or Nebrasken artists, or is it more of a general art musuem with a little of this and a little of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska