Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Meanwhile I've lived in PA for 30 of my 32 years (sans a brief stint in VA) and have always been curious about Nebraska. I'll likely visit Omaha someday.
I've never been to any of the Great Plains states other than Oklahoma and Texas, and I'd be down for visiting. Their contrarian tourism bureau has me sold: http://visitnebraska.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 02:17 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Dog View Post
One night I stopped into a AMBEST to fill up and get some snacks, I was third in line to pay and the Cashier with the nebraska cornhusker shirt behind the counter waved to me, smiled and said "Sir, I can take you over here." The guy in front of me waiting to pay was a hispanic day laborer, and the guy in the front of the line was a Black man decked out in oversized Jordan gear, I'm white, 6 ft with Blonde hair in my late forties. I casually told the cashier these guys were ahead of me, he drew me over and put his hand over one side of his mouth and told me "they can wait" and gave them both nasty looks, both had their heads down, like this was not something out of the ordinary. So based on your detailed post, I am assuming you're likely either black, PR, hispanic, etc and some of your negative experiences in Lincoln may be partially based on how you were treated, including the things I witnessed during my short business trips to Lincoln.... but I could be wrong.
I think I like midwestern values more than the pretension that goes on in other parts of the country.

Who knows, maybe I will pay that part of the country a visit.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 18,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think I like midwestern values more than the pretension that goes on in other parts of the country.

Who knows, maybe I will pay that part of the country a visit.
As someone who has lived in the Midwest for the past five years, I don't know what Midwestern values are. I just encounter a lot of passive aggressiveness.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:27 PM

484 posts, read 197,000 times
This post was written a long time ago, but it caught my interest since I've lived in Nebraska for 50 of my 58 years. I don't know if that's unique to Lincoln, or rural towns, or the midwest, etc. I do know that I moved to the town I currently live in 50 years ago and I've seen that here as well. I think what you've described could occur in many places today. People are busy and they don't think to go out of their way to make a newcomer feel welcome or include them in their friends group. They often have never been the new person and do not know what it feels like. I think this is a good message for all of us to remember. Include the new person.
I have lots of friends and wouldn't hesitate to add more. But I literally just heard someone say a month ago, that she didn't want anymore friends, she's very happy with just one or two.

I hope where ever you are now that you've been more accepted. Also, you may have to be the one to initiate even if you are the new person. It beats sitting home alone.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 PM

18 posts, read 18,129 times
Default visited there long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere85 View Post
I was living in Nebraska for six months for an internship. Upon my arrival, native and long-term residents told me "you'll make plenty of friends in no time," "people here are nice," "you'll know people on a first name basis," etc. It didn't happen.

While there are things to like about Lincoln, my biggest grip was just how insular the community is. Because many people have lived there their entire lives or were from small towns in Nebraska, it did create this insular environment. Most people social circles included family and childhood friends. People talked to me, but I could not break into their social circles. In fact, I mostly met people through causal dating, which I wouldn't recommend because at my age (late 20s) people were looking for marriage. I also attended demonstrations, book discussions, and public events, but still I would talk to people but it never morphed into anything. The only people who actually became friends (3 people) where from out-of-state who also didn't have many or any friends.

I was just confused on how a town of nearly 300,000 people could be so reserved. Two people did tell me the logic is "thanks, but no thanks, I have enough friends." I thought it was just me at first, but I met people who were transplants (mostly came because of job transfer or spouse) and they had the same experience. Some eventually did makes friends (years later) and some still had none.

Lincoln is a nice, quaint town, but I seriously couldn't recommend it unless you know somebody who already lives there (that is if you're not there for school). I'm sure if I was a permanent resident and had lived there for a decade it would be different because I'm very social and outgoing. Luckily I was in my late 20s, because it would have gotten harder if I was older.
I found the people there very polite and respectful. Ditto the way they behave online, very respectful.
But I have heard many complaints about finding friends there. I guess when you have good friends and family you don't really need to have more? Also heard complaints about people being rejected because they were not a huskers fan, that's a stupid reason not to like someone,imo

Old 06-22-2020, 05:40 AM

111 posts, read 95,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've never been to any of the Great Plains states other than Oklahoma and Texas, and I'd be down for visiting. Their contrarian tourism bureau has me sold: http://visitnebraska.com
This website is pretty darn great!

Old 08-20-2020, 05:27 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
If you're going to visit Nebraska the first time, check out the Scottsbluff National monument and Legacy of the Plains Museum. After that, drive up to Crawford and tour the Fort Robinson Museum & History Center. You can tent camp in Red Cloud Campground at Chadron State Park within the Nebraska National Forest. Also visit Chimney Rock off Hwy 92 if there's time.

There's plenty of things in the state, just have to know where to go and when.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:15 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
Every place you mentioned is 450 miles from Lincoln. If the OP was asking about Rapid City, SD or Cheyenne, WY it would make more sense. Both of those cities are only about 100 miles away.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:45 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Most of the scenic areas of the state are closer to the pan handle, just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska