U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM

11,668 posts, read 8,355,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
I suppose Colorado can be very windy west of Denver, but not east of Denver where its very beautiful and which is the place to be if you're in Colorado.
Makes sense. That must be why there are all those snow ski resorts in Limon and Sterling and why Aspen is full of feedlots and grain elevators.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,154 posts, read 45,300,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
I suppose Colorado can be very windy west of Denver, but not east of Denver where its very beautiful and which is the place to be if you're in Colorado.
Denver is in Colorado?

in my 30+ yrs in CO and 30 + going back and forth..., I always considered Denver was in Kansas.
1) That description won't 'disappoint' the kids that move to Denver thinking it is in the mtns.
2) You have to drive nearly to Kansas to get to Denver
3) Denver is prairie...

Yes, east of Denver is where you want to be (Kansas and Nebraska) and SD!

Where the strong wind comes in tall circles!

CO Winds are usually strongest near the foothills / mtn faces. Boulder and CoS get plenty of 50 mph+ winds (and each have a LOT of Prii.)

Old 01-12-2020, 01:26 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,843,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Usually 'averages', not peak gusts. Most of the prairie has constant wind (moderate). While living in NE I can remember months of wind. In Colorado... wind terror. Nights when the house shook. One morning our neighbor's new home was GONE, blown away. Furniture and insulation and clothes strewn across several miles of open field.

In hundreds of trips through NE, I have never seen a stretch of NE when semi-trucks were lying on their sides, (in fact I have never seen ONE blown over in NE, but probably has happened) but this is common in WY. (especially near Chugwater (I-25) and Elk Mtn (I-80)).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA16ivK6iDI

When moving across WY, we stopped at a rest area to use the bathroom, when we came out, our moving truck had blown across the parking lot (on the ice). Fortunately it hit the curb, so wasn't stuck, We got back in and kept driving.

Where we live now, we get frequent 80 mph winds and freezing rain. I drive a 1600# car, but have a 3,050# back-up.
I-25 near Walsenburg, Colorado is another nasty area for high winds.
I have heard of several trucks being blown over in Nebraska (I live here) but I have NEVER seen it. I have seen it dozens of times in Wyoming however, elk Mountain and Chugwater. However Just north of Salt Lake City in the late 1980s railroad cars sitting on a side track were blown over. I saw the aftermath of that the next day. I had holed up in a truck stop so I could be safe.

Sometime in the 1980s I had spent the night in a TruckStop at Rawlins, Wyoming. The wind had been really nasty during the night and I could feel it rocking my fully loaded truck while I was in the sleeper. The next morning I went in to the Cafe to eat breakfast and I noticed a rig laying on its side in the front row. When I was by the phones I overheard a driver trying to tell his dispatcher that he needed a wrecker sent out to haul away his rig. Evidently the dispatcher wasn't buying his story.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:34 PM

40,519 posts, read 36,357,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Makes sense. That must be why there are all those snow ski resorts in Limon and Sterling and why Aspen is full of feedlots and grain elevators.
Greeley has a lil ski run called sharktooth. Pony pull

Old 01-12-2020, 02:12 PM

3,889 posts, read 5,280,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I-25 near Walsenburg, Colorado is another nasty area for high winds.
I have heard of several trucks being blown over in Nebraska (I live here) but I have NEVER seen it. I have seen it dozens of times in Wyoming however, elk Mountain and Chugwater. However Just north of Salt Lake City in the late 1980s railroad cars sitting on a side track were blown over. I saw the aftermath of that the next day. I had holed up in a truck stop so I could be safe.

Sometime in the 1980s I had spent the night in a TruckStop at Rawlins, Wyoming. The wind had been really nasty during the night and I could feel it rocking my fully loaded truck while I was in the sleeper. The next morning I went in to the Cafe to eat breakfast and I noticed a rig laying on its side in the front row. When I was by the phones I overheard a driver trying to tell his dispatcher that he needed a wrecker sent out to haul away his rig. Evidently the dispatcher wasn't buying his story.
The worst truck carnage I have ever seen was outside Iowa City. I spent the night at my daughters place and experienced "thunder/lightening" snow. Snowing hard while lightening lit the sky and then rumbled. I've lived in this SE South Dakota 400 miles from there my whole life. I've never seen anything like it.

This snow landed after it rained so everything was icy underneath. Early the next morning trucks trying to head west from Iowa City's hills got hit with a 40 mph north wind on the totally ice covered Interstate 80.

I'm not exaggerating when I say there had to have been at least 20 - 30 semi's on their side on the interstate between Iowa City and Des Moines. Mostly just outside of Iowa City.

This area isn't much different from much of Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska