Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times

Advertisements

I have gone through Nebraska many times and find it interesting to notice the change in humidity going from east to west and this is the same for South Dakota. I can really notice the change going from Grand Island to North Platte on the 135 mile stretch. Grand Island to me is similar in humidity to Sioux Falls and Omaha, but North Platte has drier air and resembles more of the air out in Rapid City and Denver (which has a little drier air than North Platte). To me Lexington is borderline and I notice that it is a little drier air than Grand Island.

My question is where you think that the air gets dry? I was wondering if it would be Lexington, Kearney, or North Platte or any other ideas of where. My guess is that is gradual and subtle as one goes along I-80. Thinking of my trip to Colorado, this thought came to mind. I am curious to see what others think of the humidity transition from east to west in Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:24 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,330 times
I heard people say the 100th meridan is where the air gets dry, which would mean Cozad, Nebraska which is just west of Lexington. Of course there is no defined line. North Platte is probably more humid than say Scottsbluff or Sidney. Irrigation season also contributes to the humidity in Nebraska, out west you have less irrigation than central and eastern Nebraska.

I have also heard people say the 100th meridan is where the west begins, and I have also heard where the prarie grass switches to sagebrush is where the west begins.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
I've lived in Ogallala, North Platte, and Lexington. Of the three, Lexington was definitely the most humid and Ogalalla was the driest. There's a subtle change around Sutherland and another around Gothenburg/Cozad. From about there east it's pretty humid. When you're in "wheat country" it's pretty dry, but once you're in "corn country" it's more humid.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:23 PM

Gretchen, that makes perfect sense. The perspiration of the corn contributes to the humidity and this is noticed in South Dakota. Areas with a lot of corn are generally more humid than those that are with wheat or rangeland. Then again, corn is grown in areas where there is more water or easy access to water due to it being a crop that requires more water than other crops such as wheat. It seems like Lexington and on east appears green and lush and oftentimes has bugs. It seem like the car starts getting littered with bug guts when it head east on I-80 east of Lexington (West of there, it is generally not an issue). West of Lexington, it seems like the grass is browner and less trees along the Platte and less bugs. I know that North Platte's air feels drier and crisper than Lexington and especially Grand Island. It is interesting to see the subtle changes in Nebraska and other places when passing through.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ...

A lot of it too has to do with the southerlies...

It's interesting how you noted around GI as a point of transition, because west of GI it starts to demand a bit more of a SE directed wind than say east of GI where a straight south wind will bring up humidity.

In Scottsbluff, it takes quite a SE breeze to get its humidity up.

If you remember a couple of other threads about rainfall varying quite a bit, and tornados in GI?

I'm thinking that GI probably sees a hefty amount of 'dry squalls or dry lines' and the rainfall amount has to do with how much moisture makes it up to these places in nebraska from the gulf

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
How widespread is irrigation in Nebraska? I know in Kansas it is a fairly big issue in the western areas of the state because of the depleting Ogallala Aquifer. In those rural counties a lot of corn is grown via irrigation near the commercial ag centers of Dodge City and Garden City. You have a lot of packing plants etc out there.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

I know that Nebraska uses quite a bit of irrigation. One would notice it easily crossing from South Dakota into Nebraska. South Dakota does not have as sandy of soil and it retains moisture better when it gets it. Many areas of South Dakota have a clay-based soil with areas of sandy soil and rocky soil. My area in southeastern SD is a clay soil and water ponds up when there is a lot of rain. Nebraska has sandy soil and more irrigators in the fields. South Dakota does not use as much due to not having the Ogallala Aquifer (which caution should be used to perserve and manage its use-so it does not get depleted and put everyone in a pickle).

I agree with the Grand Island area being borderline, but would allign Grand Island along with the likes of York, Norfolk, Omaha, Sioux Falls, SD and Sioux City, IA for humidity as opposed to North Platte, Goodland, KS, Rapid City, SD, Pierre, SD, and Scottsbluff. I would liken Grand Island and Kearney with Mitchell, SD, due to areas west getting drier and east more humid. They are on the edge of fertile, prime Midwestern farm ground that is common in the corn belt.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
How widespread is irrigation in Nebraska? I know in Kansas it is a fairly big issue in the western areas of the state because of the depleting Ogallala Aquifer. In those rural counties a lot of corn is grown via irrigation near the commercial ag centers of Dodge City and Garden City. You have a lot of packing plants etc out there.
Irrigation is a pretty big issue in western Nebr. I'm not sure what the latest status is, but at one point (a year or two ago) there was going to be a moritorium on putting in any additional pivot sprinklers, so there was a big push to get one setup if you didn't already have one. You could go ahead and replace an existing one, but not put in a new one.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 25,308 times
According to a 2005 report from the U. of Nebraska ( http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...con_cornhusker ), the state is second in the nation in the amount of irrigated acres, behind California.

Back to where dry air (and the West) begins: I'd say around Elm Creek, if I had to choose a specific spot, although the change is gradual. The air there is a huge relief in mid-July after coming from the comparative tropics of extreme s.e. Nebraska, which is my native area.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,330 times
I know in the central district, there is still a limit on how much you can irrigate because of the status of the lakes. They are getting better though. Farmers along the Republican river are being paid not to irrigate because of the water troubles with Kansas.

Along with the aquifer, Nebraska has many rivers and streams that contribute to irrigation. Corn is also a water thirsty crop, so that also contributes to the amount of irrigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska