Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 AM

64 posts, read 90,745 times

Advertisements

Who in South East Nebraska has family or friends who live in the Kansas City Metropolitan Statistics area which also includes Johnson and Wyandotte County Kansas?If so what reasons did they move to the Kansas City a Metropolitan area.Economic reasons,cultural and education reasons.Or to live somewhere where their is more things to do and some place different.I am guessing Economics is one reason because of the very little good paying decent Jobs in cities such as Falls City ,Auburn,and Nebraska City .Also the other smaller communities that has been dying out over the years and losing population.I know their are many reasons people have moved out of South East Nebraska to larger areas such as the ksnsas City Metropolitan area.

Last edited by William S; 09-17-2019 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: To make changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM

63 posts, read 52,360 times
We are from Lincoln Nebraska originally and currently live in Johnson County, Overland Park KS. We know and meet lots of Nebraskans who have also relocated here. Most come for the jobs which are more plentiful and pay better than their typical Nebraskan counterparts. But...and there is always a but...

If you are thinking about moving here...I would think long and hard about it. Nebraskans dont like Kansas as well, (at least not Kansas City.) The average cost for a home in OP or any area with better school districts is around $350,000.00 so that pretty much negates any increase in pay. And dont think you can get away with driving around that old clunker, you may find yourself pulling out the checkbook for a lease on a BMW before you know it. Oh, and your wife will need a designer handbag like Louis Vuitton, but dont worry, it will only set you back a few thousand dollars. There is an awful lot of pretense here, more than you would expect for a state like Kansas. Its really a rat race just like a lot of gentrified suburbs of other bigger cities. Crime is higher in the city so you have to be careful where you go. OP is not a city really, its just a bedroom community to KC. So, you really lose a lot of the sense of community you get in Nebraska. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Nebraska is better.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM

26,373 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss2424 View Post
We are from Lincoln Nebraska originally and currently live in Johnson County, Overland Park KS. We know and meet lots of Nebraskans who have also relocated here. Most come for the jobs which are more plentiful and pay better than their typical Nebraskan counterparts. But...and there is always a but...

If you are thinking about moving here...I would think long and hard about it. Nebraskans dont like Kansas as well, (at least not Kansas City.) The average cost for a home in OP or any area with better school districts is around $350,000.00 so that pretty much negates any increase in pay. And dont think you can get away with driving around that old clunker, you may find yourself pulling out the checkbook for a lease on a BMW before you know it. Oh, and your wife will need a designer handbag like Louis Vuitton, but dont worry, it will only set you back a few thousand dollars. There is an awful lot of pretense here, more than you would expect for a state like Kansas. Its really a rat race just like a lot of gentrified suburbs of other bigger cities. Crime is higher in the city so you have to be careful where you go. OP is not a city really, its just a bedroom community to KC. So, you really lose a lot of the sense of community you get in Nebraska. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. Nebraska is better.
Yeah, that is the case in many areas of Johnson County, even though many want to deny those prevailing attributes. The general level of pretentiousness and snobbery are very high. Many JOCO residents know very little about most areas of Kansas, even less about agricultural matters, although not altogether surprising. There is also more influences from the Sunbelt that make it less like the more fiscally conservative Midwest and more like the Dallas $40,000 a year ‘millionaire’ with the leased C class. Also, Kansas really has very few economically dynamic and thriving areas in the state other than JOCO, so I think that plays a part in the more exaggerated displays of “flashy new money.” Truly wealthy generally do not engage in such behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska