Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,592 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over today in Lincoln for having expired vehicle tags (because I'm an idiot and forgot to renew) and I also did not have a current proof of insurance card. I am insured, just didn't have current proof. Again, I'm an idiot. The cop gave me a citation and it has a court date on it. He said something about the charges being dropped if I can prove I renewed my plates and have current insurance, but I don't remember exactly what he said. Am I able to get this citation dropped somehow? This is the first time I have ever been pulled over so I'm not sure what to do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 10:52 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Renew your license plates and get insurance within the month. Then call your county court house and ask where to take the proof that you are current.

As shown as you take it the correct authorities they should take all this off your record with no fines.

However, if you wait too long then you will have to go to court and then prove you are current and then pay the fine. If you don't do any of this and miss the court date then they will issue an arrest warrant. This doesn't mean they will hunt you down, but what it does mean is the next time you get pulled over expect them to take you to jail.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Your citation should have instructions and/or a web site on it. At worst, you'll have to show up in court and show your proof of insurance. I assume they'll drop that part of the fine.

Next time you get your proof of insurance, put it in your wallet immediately.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,592 times
Thanks for the advice! I wanted to post a little update for my fellow Lincolnites who find themselves in a similar situation. I got my vehicle registration renewed right away, then waited for two days (they ask you to wait for two days so they can file the citation). After two days I went to the city attorney's office at 555 S 10th Street Suite 300 and showed them my new pink registration slip as well as proof of insurance. A prosecutor met with me after a short wait and she dismissed the ticket. She also said I no longer had to show up for my court date. I didn't have to pay any fees.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:50 AM

446 posts, read 219,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endelk View Post
Thanks for the advice! I wanted to post a little update for my fellow Lincolnites who find themselves in a similar situation. I got my vehicle registration renewed right away, then waited for two days (they ask you to wait for two days so they can file the citation). After two days I went to the city attorney's office at 555 S 10th Street Suite 300 and showed them my new pink registration slip as well as proof of insurance. A prosecutor met with me after a short wait and she dismissed the ticket. She also said I no longer had to show up for my court date. I didn't have to pay any fees.

That's great. Thanks for posting your outcome.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:30 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Your citation should have instructions and/or a web site on it. At worst, you'll have to show up in court and show your proof of insurance. I assume they'll drop that part of the fine.

Next time you get your proof of insurance, put it in your wallet immediately.
I don't live in Nebraska, but the places where I have lived, this has been the case. If you can prove insurance by the time of the hearing, you probably won't be cited for that.

My insurance cards are printable. I put one copy in each vehicle, and one copy in my wallet. I just have to remember to replace them at renewal time.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I don't live in Nebraska, but the places where I have lived, this has been the case. If you can prove insurance by the time of the hearing, you probably won't be cited for that.
The city of Columbine Valley, Colorado charged me $25 to cancel the court date.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I had this happen in Kansas (a long time ago) because I had not put my new sticker on my tag. They reduced the fine to $1, but I had to pay $40 in court costs even though I showed up early and paid it before the court date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: