U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:16 AM

24 posts, read 14,304 times

Advertisements

Thanks Garthur. In talking to a friend (who is a tribal member in Idaho) she warns that if we're after low crime rates, to be wary of SD due to the number of reservations there. She says crime rates are quite high on the reservation and in towns adjacent. I had not thought of that but will add it to the hopper!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 11:27 AM

3,883 posts, read 5,268,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzack View Post
Thanks Garthur. In talking to a friend (who is a tribal member in Idaho) she warns that if we're after low crime rates, to be wary of SD due to the number of reservations there. She says crime rates are quite high on the reservation and in towns adjacent. I had not thought of that but will add it to the hopper!
The crime rates on many of the reservations in South Dakota are high. BUT, you're not moving to a reservation. Unless you're in a close adjacent town to a rez. the crime rates in South Dakota are lower than most anywhere in the nation.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:31 AM

Thanks Garthur. On this site another poster suggested Yankton and Vermillion, both of which we will visit, but I can see I have some additional homework to do. I appreciate your opinion!

Old 09-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Status: "We'd like to help you out. (Which way did you come in?)" (set 27 days ago)

366 posts, read 347,390 times
I travel these states in my work, but live in Wyoming. Since you mentioned the 10 best small towns in Iowa, I will put in a shameless plug for Orange City, though I am biased since I am Dutch Reformed. It's in the NW corner of IA, about 4.5 to 5 hours drive from Kearney-3 different routes you can take.

Orange City is about 6k population and growing. It is a prosperous town with very low crime rate and very low poverty rate. This part of IA is predominately Dutch Reformed, which means quiet, clean, conservative, church (twice) on sunday towns. Orange City has a sort of quaint Dutch architectural style to many buildings and is home to Northwestern College. Nearby Sioux Center is a bit larger, and very similar though not quite as quaint and is home to Dordt College. These are Reformed Christian colleges. Rock Valley is smaller, also nice little town in the same area. If you've been through Lynden, Washington, then you know the deal.

In Nebraska, you might have a look at Broken Bow, Saint Paul, and Central City. Not as low crime/poverty rates as NW IA, but still quite low. They are not far from Kearney. If you look below at Kansas, there are nice small communities along 36. Norton, Logan, Phillipsburg, and Smith Center. From a financial standpoint, both NE and KS are not real retirement friendly, in terms of property taxes, incomes taxes, and vehicle plates. South Dakota (Yankton is on the border) is better from that standpoint, but definitely has more winter than the others. Anyway if you go to Yankton and Vermillion, you might swing over and check out NW IA.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 5,956,559 times
The Dutch Reformed are completely nuts and don't welcome outsiders, so my advice is a strong NOPE to Orange City. If I were picking somewhere in NE IA I'd pick Akron. It's cute and small and in a pretty area and has it's own grocery store. Easy drive to both Sioux Falls and Sioux City.

I think both Yankton and Vermillion, SD would tick all your boxes, OP (as was said earlier.) The advantage of SD is no state income tax and no tax on SS income and pensions. Very retiree friendly, and lots to do. As was said earlier, you really don't need to worry much about crime

If money isn't on your mind, though, there are lots of nice small towns in NE. Valentine is super nice, as are Red Cloud and Chadron. Those are my three favorite towns in NE. I like Kearney too, though. I'll bet you like it, too.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 PM

Ooops, meant NW Iowa, not NE Iowa.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:06 AM

I'd have to do some homework on Dutch Reformed but what I saw of Orange City took me back to my childhood when the streets were clean, businesses were thriving and people had pride in their community. What a nice little place it was!

Money IS an issue and that's why NE might be out for us. I resent paying tax on SS most of all.

It's looking more and more like SD might be our best option. I wish it was closer to where our daughter is but that's life. Still able to visit on a weekend, just maybe not in the dead of winter . . . . she assures me the winters will be far worse in SD than where she is.

I like the NE towns you mentioned but will also check out Akron. I'm not really sure where Iowa falls on the tax/cost of living scale but I'll find. out.

Thank you for the reply!

Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 AM

22,231 posts, read 38,786,499 times
Quote:
I'd have to do some homework on Dutch Reformed but what I saw of Orange City took me back to my childhood when the streets were clean, businesses were thriving and people had pride in their community. What a nice little place it was!

Money IS an issue and that's why NE might be out for us. I resent paying tax on SS most of all.

It's looking more and more like SD might be our best option. I wish it was closer to where our daughter is but that's life. Still able to visit on a weekend, just maybe not in the dead of winter . . . . she assures me the winters will be far worse in SD than where she is.

I like the NE towns you mentioned but will also check out Akron. I'm not really sure where Iowa falls on the tax/cost of living scale but I'll find. out.

Thank you for the reply!
Spirit Lake Okoboji area of Iowa has a lot of retirees, look at Dickinson County.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:54 AM

We plan to visit Okoboji when we're out there but I think the real estate there might be too pricey for us. Thank you!

Old 09-19-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I live in the area of SD you're considering, and don't think the winters here are bad at all. Very typical upper Midwestern winters. Summers are a different story, though. SE SD is VERY hot and humid in the summers. In fact that's one of only 2 things I dislike about retirement in SD. But then summers here are very similar to the summers in Kearney.

You might also look at Springfield, SD, which is a little further west and I think has less humidity. Because it's on the lake/River there are retirees there. I have a friend who has a lake house near Springfield. But I think people there do shop in Yankton, though there's a grocery store in Springfield.

If I were you, though, I'd be practical and balance the pleasure you would get from being near your daughter versus the aggravation of paying a little more in taxes. I'm sure the pleasure would outweigh the pain. Talk with your daughter really openly about what she thinks would be best. Does she want you to be very close by so that in the future you can help one another with medical issues, childcare and such, or would a little bit of distance work best? That's what should really help you to choose your retirement location, IMHO. And I say that because I'm probably going to move to a more expensive location purely to be close to family members as my health declines due to age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska