Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 12:09 PM

27 posts, read 57,953 times

Advertisements

Hard to say on the size really. Our town is about 1200 and really has nothing in terms of commerce. The nearest town where there is any shopping is 35 miles and it's over a steep grade which is difficult in winter. I loved how flat NE was! I'd say a town of 10K or less with a decent economy would be good. I don't need Starbucks (don't actually want one!) or nail salons and that stuff, just a grocery store, hardware store, library and post office etc. One thing I've noticed lately is that there's precious little houses for sale in either Saint Paul or Stromsburg. Makes me think maybe people don't move too often out of those places. Lots of other places in NE seem to have a lot of shifting. Lots to think about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 29,748 times
You might look down in Holdrege, NE which is 30 miles south of Kearney. Sounds like it might fill the bill for you.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Yes, visited there and liked it quite a bit! Very little for sale but will keep an eye open. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
NE native, + 30 yrs in NoCO (Estes Park / Loveland) + 30 yrs in western WA

Cousin lives in York, NE 40 yrs + as retiree and likes it. Another lives in Seward (college town, near Lincoln too)

If you want to be near DD, I would make it within 40 min. Or it will be an effort to get there, and possibly seldom visits.

SD would be my economic choice as retiree, and set up an ADU (separate apartment at DD) for long visits.

SD... I like Spearfish (small college town, ). Or Piedmont (near Rapid). Hot Springs would get you slightly closer to NE. Prairie towns are more sleepy, friendly, but weather is rough in winter and summer.

Another nice town in NE is Nebraska City, close to IA, KS, MO. Live on high ground !

As early retirees, We keep places in WA, CO, and Hill Country TX. All are rented out fulltime, with a spare cabin for us. We go where the weather is best (fly and keep inexpensive cars at each area). As we age, we will need to reduce our choices of places to stay. Really like NE, visit several times per yr, but will probably never move back. SD, WY are close by and much lower taxes for retirement.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Thank you for your input. It would appear from your comments that you and I are living in alternate universes though, as you obviously have a lot of resources, whereas I do not. Keeping multiple homes is not an option for me, nor is flying frequently or keeping cars in various locations. Your life is obviously quite good!

SD is out of contention, just based on our recent visit. Too ugly. We already live in that type of geography and have gotten tired of the brown.

Holdrege looks better and better!

Keep living the good life Spearfish.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I agree about Spearfish SD, I like that town. If I was going to go to the trouble of moving I would go to the lower tax state like South Dakota.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Taxes are a consideration of course, but tax situations can change too. Spearfish is simply out of our price range.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:04 AM

229 posts, read 217,635 times
What about York, Ne? It's a great town of 8,000 and a great central location if your wanting to go west to kearney, or east to Omaha and Lincoln for more amenities. It has York college, and a great deal of housing stock that is well maintained. I am a bit biased because my mom lives there, but I think it's a great town.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:42 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzack View Post
Taxes are a consideration of course, but tax situations can change too. Spearfish is simply out of our price range.
Spearfish is just one of several towns (including Rapid city) in the area. I looked at Spearfish and found when considering everything such as; property tax, income taxes, sales taxes, etc. it would be much cheaper then Nebraska.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:25 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Ever since I was in about 4th or 5th grade, I thought Nebraska has the best sounding name of all the states. That's why I always thought it would be a nice place to live. Lincoln, Nebraska, I like the sound of that name. It has a very nice flow to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska