U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,126,661 times

Advertisements

Nebraska's Cheap, in a good way: as a vacation spot.

Did anyone catch the news that AAA said Nebraska was the second most affordable place to vacation in 2008?

I really hope the tourism industry (both public and private - state level and local level) in this state leverages that announcement and promotes all the great things Nebraska has to offer... lots and lots of unique things around the state that could benefit from the economic benefit of additional tourism.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM

The arts community (under the lead of the Nebraska Arts Council) could develop and promote a tour of local small town arts - people would be amazed at what's available in this state from an arts perspective.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Those in the wine industry could develop and promote a tour of local wineries around the state... I think they may already have done some work on this, but promotion using that AAA award could jump start it...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM

226 posts, read 971,021 times
I never knew there were wineries in Nebraska are they down south along the Kansas border?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
I never knew there were wineries in Nebraska are they down south along the Kansas border?
Actually Nebraska has some very good soil for the grapes and wineries are not all in one area.

Last Fall we had a thread on this specific topic. Here is the link to the Nebraska Wineries discussion:
//www.city-data.com/forum/nebraska/188020-nebraska-wineries.html

So far my favorite is Dragon's Red from Soaring Wings - its a red wine and they are in Springfield

Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,946,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Nebraska's Cheap, in a good way: as a vacation spot.

Did anyone catch the news that AAA said Nebraska was the second most affordable place to vacation in 2008?

I really hope the tourism industry (both public and private - state level and local level) in this state leverages that announcement and promotes all the great things Nebraska has to offer... lots and lots of unique things around the state that could benefit from the economic benefit of additional tourism.
Yes, Dave I did see that, all of the top states were in our region. I was suprised by South Dakota though, with the tourism the hills generate. Anyway, if anything with gas prices the way they are, a few people might be inclined to stay in-state to vacation. I have always wished Nebraska would work harder on generating tourism, to me it would be an easy way to generate money for the state.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,420,416 times
Nebraska also has very unique outdoor opportunitys also.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,643,551 times
I see that Nebraska was up there along with South Dakota. There are many hidden gems that are in Nebraska and often get overlooked by people who have the tunnel vision that all of Nebraska is as flat all over like it is in the Platte River Valley. I have been to some hillier areas in NE and they are neat in the summer and fall espcially. US 75 is neat to see around September with stuff starting to turn to the autumn hues and shades.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,947,646 times
You could spend a month or two touring Nebraska just for the history!

From the first organized exploration (Lewis and Clark), to the first Homestead Act claim. From Westward Expansion on the Oregon, Mormon, etc. Trails, to Gold Fever and the Sydney/Deadwood Trail. The history of the forts, like Fort Rob. starting as an Indian Agency (where Crazy Horse was held and killed) to it's use as a remount station for WWII.
Or maybe you're interested in the paleo-history like what's at Ashfall, or Hudson-Meng. Or Native Nebraskan history.
It goes on and on...

Anyone who says there's nothing to see in our state obviously hasn't opened their eyes! lol

Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,643,551 times
Even though it is along I-80 and a little out of the way, I like visiting the Great Platte River Road Archway Museum if I have time. I have been there twice and think it is a very interesting, interpretive, and neat museum.

I will have to make a Runza stop when I go through Nebraska later this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska