Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,541,757 times

Advertisements

The Elkhorn River in our area is out of its banks. Worst some folks in area say they have ever seen.

Neligh Park Soccer Fields

South down road from Old Mill in Neligh.

Homes south of Elkhorn Neligh.

Elkhorn next to Neligh Park.

East approach for what used to be the foot bridge over Elkhorn in Neligh Park that was built in the 30's.

Close up.

Neligh City Park.

Flooded homes in Clearwater.

Elkhorn River by Neligh Mills.

You may view more flood pics at this album:
Flood June 2010 pictures by BucksOutdoors - Photobucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM

350 posts, read 739,076 times
Climate description and thread on fantasy climate is courtesy of member Superluminal and can be found here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-you-pick.html

The climate of Saudiastana seems to be an exaggerated version of Nebraska's climate but not far off in some years. Although we had an easy winter this year, Nebraska is not for wimps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post

SAUDIASTANA:

Climate type: Hypercontinental

As the name suggests, this climate is a hybrid of continental and desert climates. The result is a steppe-like climate with very wide variations in temperatures between the seasons. This hypothetical climate is located in the middle latitudes near the centre of a very large continent, possibly similar to Pangea.

Record high: 52.2C (126F) on 20/08/77
Record low: -56.2C (-69.2F) on 14/02/30
Date of last occurrence of >45C (>113F): 47.2C (117F) on 02/08/09
Date of last occurrence of <-50C(<-58F): -51.3 (-60.3F) on 19/02/92

Last edited by SCentralNEGuy; 03-21-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,189,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Climate description and thread on fantasy climate is courtesy of member Superluminal and can be found here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-you-pick.html

The climate of Saudiastana seems to be an exaggerated version of Nebraska's climate but not far off in some years. Although we had an easy winter this year, Nebraska is not for wimps!
WHAT!!!!!! You are looking at a 40 degree difference in the winter on the average... How can you say that Nebraska is not that far off

This post is one of the reasons I talked in another thread about possibly leaving Omaha. People will twist things to make this place look so bad when it is not. Our climate is much, much, much closer to a dallas climate than siberia. That would be like saying Dallas and Houston are sub-polar.

Seriously thinking about the message you are sending to people..

Omaha averages
average high
jan 37
feb 41
mar 54
apr 67
may 76
jun 85
jul 88
aug 87
sep 80
oct 68
nov 51
dec 39

Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
WHAT!!!!!! You are looking at a 40 degree difference in the winter on the average... How can you say that Nebraska is not that far off

This post is one of the reasons I talked in another thread about possibly leaving Omaha. People will twist things to make this place look so bad when it is not. Our climate is much, much, much closer to a dallas climate than siberia. That would be like saying Dallas and Houston are sub-polar.

Seriously thinking about the message you are sending to people..

Omaha averages
average high
jan 37
feb 41
mar 54
apr 67
may 76
jun 85
jul 88
aug 87
sep 80
oct 68
nov 51
dec 39
I said not far off for certain months. What about the weeks when we have single digit temperatures or below zero and then high 90s in the summer or even above 100? The average of Saudistania is definitely more extreme but there are weeks when our average is the same of Saudistania. Here are the climate averages for Lincoln:

Month High/Low
Jan. 33/12
Feb. 39/17
Mar. 51/28
Apr. 64/39
May 74/50
June 85/60
July 90/66
Aug. 87/64
Sept. 79/53
Oct. 67/40
Nov. 49/27
Dec. 37/16

More from Wikipedia:

Monthly averages range from 22.4 °F (−5.3 °C) in January to 77.8 °F (25.4 °C) in July. However, the city is subject both to episodes of bitter cold in winter and heat waves during summer, with 14 nights below 0 °F (−18 °C), 40 days above 90 °F (32 °C), and 5 days above 100 °F (38 °C).[9] Temperature extremes have ranged from −33 °F (−36 °C) in January 1974 to 108 °F (42 °C) in July 1995.

Then add wind and snow and the weather can get pretty brutal, not that it always does but being on the Plains doesn't help things.

I wasn't trying to scare people off but rather lament (however exaggerated) how quickly the weather goes from COLD to HOT!!! Also I wanted to compliment my fellow Nebraskans on how tough we are to deal with our climate! Some people like SCGranny were actually thrilled to move here for the variety and extremes of weather!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I said not far off for certain months. What about the weeks when we have single digit temperatures or below zero and then high 90s in the summer or even above 100? The average of Saudistania is definitely more extreme but there are weeks when our average is the same of Saudistania. Here are the climate averages for Lincoln:

Month High/Low
Jan. 33/12
Feb. 39/17
Mar. 51/28
Apr. 64/39
May 74/50
June 85/60
July 90/66
Aug. 87/64
Sept. 79/53
Oct. 67/40
Nov. 49/27
Dec. 37/16

More from Wikipedia:

Monthly averages range from 22.4 °F (−5.3 °C) in January to 77.8 °F (25.4 °C) in July. However, the city is subject both to episodes of bitter cold in winter and heat waves during summer, with 14 nights below 0 °F (−18 °C), 40 days above 90 °F (32 °C), and 5 days above 100 °F (38 °C).[9] Temperature extremes have ranged from −33 °F (−36 °C) in January 1974 to 108 °F (42 °C) in July 1995.

Then add wind and snow and the weather can get pretty brutal, not that it always does but being on the Plains doesn't help things.

I love our varying climate too, but there are huge differences here.

I wasn't trying to scare people off but rather lament (however exaggerated) how quickly the weather goes from COLD to HOT!!! Also I wanted to compliment my fellow Nebraskans on how tough we are to deal with our climate! Some people like SCGranny were actually thrilled to move here for the variety and extremes of weather!

I never said we don't have a varying climate. You'll see in my post where I had indicated where we can get cold and hot. Varying climates happen on all continents when you go inland from the ocean. Ours is unique due to our terrain in that our weather has the influence of warm-moist air, warm bone-dry air and cool-dry air. This dynamic is critical to how our climate is set up.

The extremes here are almost always short lived and while extreme - it can and does get worse in many other places.

My refute to your post wasn't any of those things. It was to your connection with a place that has an average high of 10 or below for 4 or so months a year. We may be varying like they are, but their baseline is much, much colder. You see we have 9 months a year where our average high is above 50 degrees and no months below 35. Yes, like we said, we do drop below zero for a short period every year, but we also go above 50-60 to offset those cold streaks. This location you're comparing us to hits streaks of -60 every year but will rise above zero to offset it..

You see where I'm coming from?

Last edited by Omahahonors; 03-22-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I never said we don't have a varying climate. You'll see in my post where I had indicated where we can get cold and hot. Varying climates happen on all continents when you go inland from the ocean. Ours is unique due to our terrain in that our weather has the influence of warm-moist air, warm bone-dry air and cool-dry air. This dynamic is critical to how our climate is set up.

The extremes here are almost always short lived and while extreme - it can and does get worse in many other places.

My refute to your post wasn't any of those things. It was to your connection with a place that has an average high of 10 or below for 4 or so months a year. We may be varying like they are, but their baseline is much, much colder. You see we have 9 months a year where our average high is above 50 degrees and no months below 35. Yes, like we said, we do drop below zero for a short period every year, but we also go above 50-60 to offset those cold streaks. This location you're comparing us to hits streaks of -60 every year but will rise above zero to offset it..

You see where I'm coming from?
Its not so much the cold that bothers me when it happens but it is the heat and humidity on top of the cold that can make the climate brutal to me. Where I live the summer high average in July and August is more like 93.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Its not so much the cold that bothers me when it happens but it is the heat and humidity on top of the cold that can make the climate brutal to me. Where I live the summer high average in July and August is more like 93.
You are also in the part of our state where the battle of the air masses is more priminant which is why you see more of the tornadic weather, more blizzards, the higher highs, the lower lows and the higher winds. You are also closer to Kansas which means you are a bit warmer overall and further west where the winds struggle even more to give you humidity. Your part of the state is the most exciting statistically when it comea to violent weather and boundry pushing. It is true that Omaha is still in this battle zone which gives it a fun climate, but I admire your zone and wished that Omaha grew there so I can experience that.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You are also in the part of our state where the battle of the air masses is more priminant which is why you see more of the tornadic weather, more blizzards, the higher highs, the lower lows and the higher winds. You are also closer to Kansas which means you are a bit warmer overall and further west where the winds struggle even more to give you humidity. Your part of the state is the most exciting statistically when it comea to violent weather and boundry pushing. It is true that Omaha is still in this battle zone which gives it a fun climate, but I admire your zone and wished that Omaha grew there so I can experience that.
Well thank you so far we've been lucky that tornadoes usually go north into the Platte Valley or south into Kansas but not here (knock on wood)!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
Hopefully you guys get some decent rains soon. 85% of Nebraska is listed as D4, exceptional drought- the worst classification.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,183,279 times
The state saw it's first snow of the season today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska