Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Yes, at least they got most of the crop planted before these big rains, they were so far behind because of wet weather to being with. Now if the seeds were washed out or not, thats another story.
Ohhh that would be terrible, it could devastate Nebraska's economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM

193 posts, read 656,298 times
Severe storm derails train, slams homes in Nebraska - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/05/30/nebraska.storm.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch#cnnSTCVideo - broken link)

Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ohhh that would be terrible, it could devastate Nebraska's economy
Most of the crop is probably fine. Its more where it is planted on a side of a hill and the downslope portion of fields where it runs into a ditch and then floods when the ditch is full, that is of concern.

The pivots and grain bins are more of a concern, I think the ag folk are due for some good luck with the weather.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:10 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Drove to Grand Island from Papillion this morning... went out on I-80 and came back on Hwy92...

On I-80 it was crazy starting west of Goehner to about the Giltner exit... lots of center pivots turned over... for most of York County I think every center pivot we saw (except maybe 2) on both sides of the interstate turned over. Saw a few grain bins destroyed, a bunch of power lines and one house.

On both I-80 and Hwy 92 for most of the trip standing water was everywhere.

Farmers are gonna real feel this one (but will be good for the area linemen and the center pivot manuafacturers/dealers)...
Was the Platte still pretty swollen? I know its been flowing east and causing some flooding and they were concerned about the Missouri when it drains in there.

Bad thing is, more rain in the forecast. If we could only get it to flow west to the Big Mac and the Panhandle.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,467 times
Quote:
Was the Platte still pretty swollen? I know its been flowing east and causing some flooding and they were concerned about the Missouri when it drains in there.

Bad thing is, more rain in the forecast. If we could only get it to flow west to the Big Mac and the Panhandle.

I hear what you are saying, those western NE lakes could use this moisture for sure, maybe if we all go lift up the eastern side of the state we can get some of it to flow back west.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Quote:

When I drove over all the rivers/creeks between Papillion and Grand Island they were all swollen. Platte was highest I remember seeing it since I was a little kid.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
I hear what you are saying, those western NE lakes could use this moisture for sure, maybe if we all go lift up the eastern side of the state we can get some of it to flow back west.
Ive been talking to my boss in Ord and he tells me there hasnt been any property damage or injury/loss of life there.. and they've simply suffered from some moderate winds, lightning/thunder, heavy rain and some lowland flooding over the last few bad storms.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Ive been talking to my boss in Ord and he tells me there hasnt been any property damage or injury/loss of life there.. and they've simply suffered from some moderate winds, lightning/thunder, heavy rain and some lowland flooding over the last few bad storms.
I drove by the Ord area on Sat... the property damage in York County is more to the Center Pivots, highway signs, and some power/transmission lines. Almost every (except 5 that I remember) Center Pivot for about a 12 mile stretch around York was tipped over.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I drove by the Ord area on Sat... the property damage in York County is more to the Center Pivots, highway signs, and some power/transmission lines. Almost every (except 5 that I remember) Center Pivot for about a 12 mile stretch around York was tipped over.
York County is quite a distance from Ord though, isnt it?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
York County is quite a distance from Ord though, isnt it?
You're right... about 100 miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska