U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,931,850 times

Advertisements

Sterling is a nice place to live.. it isn't all that far from Denver..

From a small city perspective, Sterling is recommendable..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,798,707 times
Sterling seems like a nice town, stopped there several times, but couldn't tell you much more than that, I'm sure you could get better info from the Colorado forum if you want.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
Default don't do it!

I grew up in Sidney, and as a kid I hated it, as a teenager I hated it, (I did like all of the drinking and partying we did though, since that is all there was to do) and after I graduated from high school I left and never looked back. As an adult I must return a couple of times a year to visit family however.

The downtown area of Sidney is a dusty dried up area of nothing.....very similar to the whole western part of the state. Shopping is very frustrating there, you are forced to shop at Walmart as you have very few other choices.

I would not raise my children in that town, the opportunities for them are so few, and once they graduate they will leave town (oh yes, and never look back) Maybe they pride themselves on their schools, but think about it. What quality of teachers, doctors, surgeons and other professionals would want to live there.

If you are from out of state and want to visit someone in Sidney, you must fly into Denver International Airport (DIA) (160 miles from Sidville)rent a car or take the shuttle approx. ($40.00 each way)to Sidney.

I feel if you have ever lived anywhere else you would not like Sidney. (Unless maybe you lived in Kansas) then maybe you would like it there.)

The housing is inexpensive, because the ability to make a descent living there is almost nil. They need to change the name to Cabelaville, because if it weren't for Cabelas the town would have dried up and blown away. Sidneyites need to kiss Cabelas butt for what they have done for that town.

Oh yeah, the weather sucks in the winter!

There are Cabelas stores in other states as well. One near Dallas, TX and One near Austin, TX

Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 AM

947 posts, read 3,357,609 times
And just remember, just because one person didn't like it and it didn't work for them, doesnt mean you won't like it or it won't work for you.

I'm not singling out the above poster personally, but everyone moves to a town for different reasons.

I wish the original poster the best.. Nebraska is full of wonderful people, In fact, I know a few in Sidney.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 26,226 times
Default Sidney is an odd town

Sidney is an odd town if you are not from around there, or are not conservative and don't keep your mouth shut. It might take a while to assimilate, or you might not be given the chance, and you can get lied about, slandered behind your back, tarred and feathered. If so, you will be the newcomer, and therefor at fault. So go carefully.

The Community College there is pretty anti-intellectual and conservative and lacks integrity.

If you are working for Cabela's, it might be OK, since you will have a community of sorts to belong to that seems more diverse. One person who worked at Cabela's told me it was very hard to make friends and be belong, but she did have the closest friend there she had ever had.

Last edited by kennic; 08-09-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska