U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM

226 posts, read 965,127 times

Advertisements

ok so when I get back to the Omaha area I'm seriously gonna buckle down on finishing my bachelor's degree... I am like 3 or 4 classes shy of an associates degree from Metro in Business (Transfer) and I have decided that once i get back I want to hurry up and finish those classes and then transfer to UNL to work on my bachelors (hopefully in International Business).

I know I can go to UNL's website to get all the info I need on programs and tuition and fees but I want some first hand info from Nebraska alumni.

Has anyone else transfered from Metro (or other 2 year institutions) to UNL and what was your experience like? What made you pick UNL? If you lived in Omaha did you commute to Lincoln? or did you take online classes? or a mixture of both? How would you rate the business department at UNL? I know at Metro I had an excellent accounting teacher named Ed Napravnik and he was so good, one of the best instructors I have ever had... he really had a passion for teaching... Are there any instructors at UNL that could compare? What instructors would you recommend and for what courses?

If there is any other info you would like to share besides what I asked for please feel free to share...

Thanks in Advance for your help,
Society's Rebel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:51 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,252,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
ok so when I get back to the Omaha area I'm seriously gonna buckle down on finishing my bachelor's degree... I am like 3 or 4 classes shy of an associates degree from Metro in Business (Transfer) and I have decided that once i get back I want to hurry up and finish those classes and then transfer to UNL to work on my bachelors (hopefully in International Business).

I know I can go to UNL's website to get all the info I need on programs and tuition and fees but I want some first hand info from Nebraska alumni.

Has anyone else transfered from Metro (or other 2 year institutions) to UNL and what was your experience like? What made you pick UNL? If you lived in Omaha did you commute to Lincoln? or did you take online classes? or a mixture of both? How would you rate the business department at UNL? I know at Metro I had an excellent accounting teacher named Ed Napravnik and he was so good, one of the best instructors I have ever had... he really had a passion for teaching... Are there any instructors at UNL that could compare? What instructors would you recommend and for what courses?

If there is any other info you would like to share besides what I asked for please feel free to share...

Thanks in Advance for your help,
Society's Rebel
UNO and Creighton both have good business classes too

Old 06-15-2008, 06:03 PM

12 posts, read 49,186 times
I had a really good full time job out of high school so I ended up taking the same route as you in order to work during the day. My plan was to transfer to UNO, but they were going to make me take a whole bunch of placement tests and classes that I had already taken. Their people were pretty difficult to work with too.

So I transferred to Bellevue University instead and love it. It's more expensive; about $330 a credit hour. However, they accepted my associates degree and let me begin my major course work immediately. Instead of taking accouting tests I already passed, I was able to start applying my financial skills in marketing courses. Bellevue's staff make it really easy to enroll too, and they keep you on track.

I have no experiences with UNL, however.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Yea but I want to go to Nebraska, for some reason I feel that Bellevue is more like a trade school that offers a bachelors degree! I don't really mind taking a couple extra classes as I'm already 2 years ahead of my wife anyway.

Was it really that many classes extra? I know to transfer to UNO there were a couple of upper division classes that they want you to take to follow the ones from Metro but from my understanding it was just a few classes not enough to justify $330 a credit hour vs. $150 or so!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM

852 posts, read 1,286,725 times
Default Unl

I've attend many schools from the area including Metro, UNO, UNL, Creighton, and Bellevue. Now I attended UNL before the others and really enjoyed the college experience that UNL offered and I couldn't find the same experience at UNO. I transferrred from UNL and UNO because I had a girlfriend living in Omaha and it killed me to be away from her during the week.

As far as the commute, it shouldn't be too bad... maybe an hour or so. Personally, as a now non-traditional student, I feel that Bellevue is a better fit and it has a really good MBA program. I wouldn't call it a trade school but a school that is more focused on non-traditional learning methods. I would consider that you take a closer look if education is your primary goal. If you're looking for more of a traditional college experience with athletics, parties, etc then UNL is a great choice.

Let me know any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,837,836 times
UNL is the flag ship university of the state and from a pure name recognition point-of-view carries quite a bit more weight than the other school's you mentioned. This may or may not be important though, depending on your ultimate career choices. For example, if you're planning on leaving the state then I would strongly suggest UNL or Creighton. But if you're staying in Omaha than I think UNO or Bellevue are pretty well recognized as good choices.

I was at UNL for about 10 years, but was involved in physics, so I have little specific knowledge related to the CBA (college of business administration). I do have friends who graduated from UNL's business school and they have had no problem getting jobs all over the country.

Besides just the business school aspect you have to remember you're getting a bachelor's degree and how much that degree is worth with respect to BA's from other schools. Again, the University of Nebraska is second to none in this state. Even Creighton falls behind UNL. Creighton tries to bill itself as the #1 school in the midwest, but that ranking is only with respect to non-research university schools. It is NOT ranked with respect to NU, KU, Missouri, Colorado, Iowa State, Iowa, and etc. It is ranked with respect to Drake and similar schools. Simply put...UNL is in a different category than Creighton.

As far as the quality of the faculty, UNL is top-notch. UNL's BA and MBA program will rival or exceed any program in the state. However, as Yman pointed out it really depends on what fits your needs.

I currently commute from Omaha to Lincoln and its not really that bad. However, if you're commuting from downtown Omaha it could be well over an hour. I live in far west Omaha and it takes me 45 minutes door-to-door.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
UNL is the flag ship university of the state and from a pure name recognition point-of-view carries quite a bit more weight than the other school's you mentioned. This may or may not be important though, depending on your ultimate career choices. For example, if you're planning on leaving the state then I would strongly suggest UNL or Creighton. But if you're staying in Omaha than I think UNO or Bellevue are pretty well recognized as good choices.

I was at UNL for about 10 years, but was involved in physics, so I have little specific knowledge related to the CBA (college of business administration). I do have friends who graduated from UNL's business school and they have had no problem getting jobs all over the country.

Besides just the business school aspect you have to remember you're getting a bachelor's degree and how much that degree is worth with respect to BA's from other schools. Again, the University of Nebraska is second to none in this state. Even Creighton falls behind UNL. Creighton tries to bill itself as the #1 school in the midwest, but that ranking is only with respect to non-research university schools. It is NOT ranked with respect to NU, KU, Missouri, Colorado, Iowa State, Iowa, and etc. It is ranked with respect to Drake and similar schools. Simply put...UNL is in a different category than Creighton.

As far as the quality of the faculty, UNL is top-notch. UNL's BA and MBA program will rival or exceed any program in the state. However, as Yman pointed out it really depends on what fits your needs.

I currently commute from Omaha to Lincoln and its not really that bad. However, if you're commuting from downtown Omaha it could be well over an hour. I live in far west Omaha and it takes me 45 minutes door-to-door.
Thank you,

You just reaffirmed what I held to be true about UNL being the school of choice in Nebraska. I don't care how many extra classes I will have to take, I want my degree to be from UNL... The name recognition means a lot to me and UNL has an excellent reputation not just in Nebraska but throughout the entire nation!

Thanks Matt Poulsen your answer was the information I was looking for, glad to hear that the faculty is top notch... The instructor can really make or break it for me... I like the instructors who really care about teaching, not the ones that just sit there and flip through power point slides!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,837,836 times
Glad I could help. I do want to be clear though, so nobody takes my post as bashing the other schools. I don't think the programs at the other schools are bad, in fact I think they're pretty good. I also think the other schools probably have fine instructors. I just wanted to point out that on a national scale UNL is the more recognized institution. Good luck with school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>