Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 48,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
It is not because the people are rude it is just that they are just plain stupid.
I have spent all but a few years of my life in rural Nebraska. Most people in rural Nebraska are pretty wonderful people. It's the very few, but very loud-mouthed, ignorant jerks that give the impression that all small towns are stuck in the 1950's and don't look forward to change.

I've been in many, many small towns all over the state, in every county. I've met some extremely rude people, and have had some pretty bad food, but for the most part, people are very friendly and service and quality are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
Well put. People who feel like MattDen that says that Nebraska has nothing to see as it just flat. They tell me that they saw Nebraska from I-80 only. I just tell them that Nebraska has a lot to see, but we keep it to ourselves. We put I-80 on the flat part so that the ones who did not want to see Nebraska could just drive on out as fast as they could. That all they had to do was get off I-80 travel 10 to 15 miles north or south in order to see Nebraska.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:31 AM
jpb

9 posts, read 43,411 times
the worst town in nebraska is boys town. three years of beatings slapping around assaults and that was just the counselors. but i was ready for the nam.i hear its all peaches and cream now but that waswhat they told every body then too. dont think it was anything like the sappy movie

Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
If by counselors, you're referring to the host parents placed in each house... I have had the opportunity to get to know some of them through their own children going to local schools with my kids ... and have had the chance to meet their 'boys and girls'... who they'd often bring along to school/extracurricular activities. I've even had the pleasure of being invited to parties/gatherings at their Boys (& Girls) Town homes. These are among the nicest, most pleasant to be around folks I've met/interacted with (both the parents AND the kids). So, if there's something bad happening here... they're doing a great job of hiding it, although I assume there's a considerable amount of discipline which is going to be required in running an operation such as this.

All that said... it's rather silly to include an -institution- such as Boys & Girls Town... in this comparison... 'mayor', police, firestation, post office, etc... or not.

Worst town in Nebraska? What's the point? Why define an entire town on a few bad experiences you've had with it's representatives?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
I would like to say, I lived in Lincoln Nebraska as a small child, my parents then moved us to Iowa, and then on to Minnesota.
I only remember a little bit about Lincoln, my dad owned a gas station there, I think it was a Superior 500, and everytime I drive through Nebraska I think of that town, and if I would be able to find where the gas station once was, because we lived just across the tracks from where it was at.
I also want to add that everytime I have stopped any where in Nebraska on my way to Colorado, the people in Nebraska have went above and beyond trying to be of service, I even stopped at a hotel late one night, they gave me the room for half the cost since it was just my small daughter and I.
To me the people who live in the state of Nebraska are #1 as far as the way that they have helped me and my family when our van broke down, you guys are great!!!!!! Don't let anyone tell you different, and don't let it go to your heads either lol.

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 02-03-2007 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: my screw up lol

Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Thanks for that.

And outside of college football (although these last few years have been kind of rough for the diehard fans) ... we're pretty modest folks.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 96,690 times
See that is exactly why western nebraskans don't like big city type people because they are "too good" to eat at a truck stop with us "common folk". maybe you should stop into that truckstop and get know some of those people. I bet you could learn a thing or too about morals and values. No, western nebraskans do not tend to worry much about big city people or their money. Not that they aren't welcome everyone is welcome. Your just gonna find that a smile and a kind word will get you a lot further in western nebraska than a snooty attitude and a hundred dollar bill!! It has nothing to do trying to grow or, ignorance, or stupidity, it is a simple matter of our morals and values. If you want to see a smile come to western ne and smile at someone, you'll get a smile and kind word and probably a handshake (which actually means something here), and if you wanna get knocked on your ***** come to western ne and raise a fist to someones, brother, friend, coworker, etc..... that is how our class of hard working "blue collar, rednecks" thinks and for those that don't like this way of thinking your better off stayin in your office in the city. but anyone else is more than welcome to come on down and vist, you wont find people here hiding behind bullet proof glass. Walk down a street and you'll see cars with keys left right in the ignition. I wouldn't advise tryin to drive off in one of those cars though because in rural nebraska everybody knows who owns that car, most have a weapon, and everbody likes a little highspeed chase down a gravel road every now and then. If you really want to know my honest opinion on the worst town in nebraska I've ever been to is, and I've been to most of them. I'd have to say Omaha, by far, I don't feel safe even leavin my car unattended there, let alone with keys in it! and talk about unfriendly! Now I have a few very close friends in Omaha so don't think I'm judging everyone there, but people there are more apt to run away from you if you smile at them or approach them for help, then talk to you or help you (I've seen it happen)! And half the smiles that you do see are so obviously fake you wonder why they even waste their time trying! Oh and I am a cook at a truckstop in western NE. It's a very rare occasion when I get a complaint, about food or sevice. So if you don't like Italian food and values don't go to Italy, and if you don't like our rural food and value's then stay in the city. But if you do we'll always have a big helping of whatever your favorite "rural" food is cooked just the way you like it, and severd with a big smile and a kind word out here in "Western Nebraska"

Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Smile North Platte, Gandy, Hastings

These are the towns my family is from. I don't know where the younger people live as they have grown up and either stayed or moved on. I'm glad these towns weren't listed as being bad or rude.

Bye for now!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfromnebraska View Post
See that is exactly why western nebraskans don't like big city type people because they are "too good" to eat at a truck stop with us "common folk". maybe you should stop into that truckstop and get know some of those people. I bet you could learn a thing or too about morals and values. No, western nebraskans do not tend to worry much about big city people or their money. Not that they aren't welcome everyone is welcome. Your just gonna find that a smile and a kind word will get you a lot further in western nebraska than a snooty attitude and a hundred dollar bill!! It has nothing to do trying to grow or, ignorance, or stupidity, it is a simple matter of our morals and values. If you want to see a smile come to western ne and smile at someone, you'll get a smile and kind word and probably a handshake (which actually means something here), and if you wanna get knocked on your ***** come to western ne and raise a fist to someones, brother, friend, coworker, etc..... that is how our class of hard working "blue collar, rednecks" thinks and for those that don't like this way of thinking your better off stayin in your office in the city. but anyone else is more than welcome to come on down and vist, you wont find people here hiding behind bullet proof glass. Walk down a street and you'll see cars with keys left right in the ignition. I wouldn't advise tryin to drive off in one of those cars though because in rural nebraska everybody knows who owns that car, most have a weapon, and everbody likes a little highspeed chase down a gravel road every now and then. If you really want to know my honest opinion on the worst town in nebraska I've ever been to is, and I've been to most of them. I'd have to say Omaha, by far, I don't feel safe even leavin my car unattended there, let alone with keys in it! and talk about unfriendly! Now I have a few very close friends in Omaha so don't think I'm judging everyone there, but people there are more apt to run away from you if you smile at them or approach them for help, then talk to you or help you (I've seen it happen)! And half the smiles that you do see are so obviously fake you wonder why they even waste their time trying! Oh and I am a cook at a truckstop in western NE. It's a very rare occasion when I get a complaint, about food or sevice. So if you don't like Italian food and values don't go to Italy, and if you don't like our rural food and value's then stay in the city. But if you do we'll always have a big helping of whatever your favorite "rural" food is cooked just the way you like it, and severd with a big smile and a kind word out here in "Western Nebraska"
Wow shootings and car chases. Are you sure you don't live in Omaha?

This is why I don't like western Nebraska because you all think you're so friendly. It's alot of self righteuos BS. I'm willing to bet that according your "values" that if two guys holding hands came into your restaurant they would just feel the friendliness and moral values just oozing towards them. Please.

Your response just wreeks of typical Nebraska Omaha fear. Hundreds of thousands of people leave their cars unattended every day with no problems at all. I feel much safer in Omaha than I would out west with some redneck with a gun walking around looking to start a fight.

I think pretty much any small town in Nebraska is terrible except Nebraska City and a few of the small ones close to Omaha.

Back to looking through my bullet proof living room window.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 96,690 times
DTO Luv, thank you for proving my point, As I see you are from dowtown Omaha, and as I said I have several close friends in Omaha, so I know for a fact that not everyone living in Omaha in as ignorant as you would like to make yourself appear. who said anything about starting a fight? Oh yeah nobody. I said that people out this way look out for eachother and if someone comes in and tries to cause problems we will take care of eachother, and if someone comes in a wants to be friendly they will be greeted with the most generous hospitality possible. Oh my, and this comment again stereotyping "Rednecks", this one about how we all apparntley dislike homosexuals. nice way to just keep on proving my point! One of my closest friends since highschool is a homosexual. so you just let me know how much money you'd like to lose on that bet! It's true that the majority of the people out this way are Christians but most of us believe in loving everyone even if their values differ from ours. Fear of Omaha? Smart enough to avoid Omaha? City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) Omaha in the year 2005 = 443.0 not doin to hot are we? It's gettin better though. Oh and thanx for the pic.... again proving my point.... you may not like a starry night over a field of grass, and trees with the moon reflecting off the lake, but I'll take that over a bunch of man made lights shinning down on concrete anyday! That again is just me, and we don't all have to be the same, believe it or not it's really ok. so thanx for your imput and have a good one I got to get sleep now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska