Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post

I am not a big traveler but I have lived in 5 states and taken lots of road trips and Western and Central Nebraska has the rudest, most arrogant and least pleasent people I have ever met. Rural Eastern Nebraska doesnt have that problem, its more Central and West. Although the whole state could be more receptive to new ideas and meeting new people.

Been out east? I'm talkin' east coast here, not eastern Nebraska. LOL. Nebraskans are extremely friendly, compared to other areas of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Been out east? I'm talkin' east coast here, not eastern Nebraska. LOL. Nebraskans are extremely friendly, compared to other areas of the US.
Nope, havent been on the east coast. Ive been as far as east as Pittsburgh, PA I am not a big traveler just a road trip occasionally. Pittsburgh was far friendlier then any place in Nebraska, no comparison and the people were far less arrogant and down to earth in Pittsburgh then Nebraska.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-07-2007 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Nope, havent been on the east coast. Ive been as far as east as Pittsburgh, PA I am not a big traveler just a road trip occasionally. Pittsburgh was far friendlier then any place in Nebraska, no comparison and the people were far less arrogant and down to earth in Pittsburgh then Nebraska.
I find that odd because central/western Nebraska folk are generally quite friendly, same with people from Colorado. My wife, who is from NY, think people are too polite in the midwest. To the point it's creepy, especially in Nebraska.

There are plenty of nice people on the east coast too. However, they go less out of their way to kiss your butt. Go to a deli or a pizza place you'll be lucky to get a scowl accompanied with a "whaddyawant" from behind the counter. Overally though, they are good people.

People generalize Fort Collins too. I always hear all this stuff about how rude Colorado people are to transplants and generally unfriendly. I've never had that problem, being a transplant myself. Colorado people are great. My expererience is that a couple of bad experiences doesn't represent the entire area. There are plenty of arseholes everywhere you go.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences though.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:47 PM

21 posts, read 83,214 times
what's wrong with western Nebraska? I travelled thru labor day weekend 2006. stayed in kimball and was treated wonderfully. Everyone was very nice, the food was great, and there was too much served... lol... Anyone else have any dealings on the Kimball area of western Nebraska?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 20,346 times
Smile North Platte's Fine With Me! One of the BEST towns in Nebraska!

I have never heard of the North Platte capital idea - very interesting! My siblings & I were born & grew up there, and while we are now spread far and wide: Denver, Chicago & me in South Carolina, all of us still feel cornhusker blood flowing through our veins! It was a wonderful city to grow up in; with friendly people, low humidity (very important after you've been in the south for 25+ years), and an excellent local bakery, dairy, park, etc. Our memories of our years spent there are very dear to us, and I fervently continue my genealogical research regarding my ancestors who lived in Dawes, Buffalo, Hall & Lincoln counties, beginning circa 1885. We were in North Platte the fall of 2005 to bury our parents, and everyone we came in contact with were kind & responsive to us. It seems to be a tradition that is carried on...my mother, aunt & grandmother were some of the dedicated women who worked at the Canteen during WWII and gave so many of our soldiers a memorable sendoff.
God Bless North Platte (and Nebraska)! It will always be 'home' to me. P.S. Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of the video mentioned below?

"or... we can all be very humbled by watching the video "North Platte Canteen" (on Public TV last year). How many eggs do you have to peel to make sandwiches for millions of soldiers? and getting up at 3AM on a snowy day to do chores and catch a ride so you could volunteer for 16 hrs, then drag home to do chores and be up for church the next morning...(we all have a lot to learn..., and be thankful for... so sorry my kids didn't get to grow up at a dairy farm boarding school )."

Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default .....

You guys realize that a post like this just divides the state and actually proves nothing at all... There is no worst town in Nebraska and I would just assume to have this thread closed or ignored or something....

Old 03-17-2007, 02:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
You guys realize that a post like this just divides the state and actually proves nothing at all... There is no worst town in Nebraska and I would just assume to have this thread closed or ignored or something....
Lighten up, ehenningsen! There are threads like this on other states' forums as well. IMO, the worst town in Nebraska is Ogalalla (sp?). We drove all night across Neb once, as we couldn't find a motel on a Sat night due to lack of planning on our part. Anyway, we wound up in Og. at 6 AM, went to a restaurant and were refused a table. Not because there wasn't one available, I forget the reason, actually, but it didn't make sense. Went somewhere else. My DH, an Omaha native, I might add, said Og. has been a tourist trap since the Oregon Trail days. We avoid it if at all possible anymore. FWIW

Old 03-17-2007, 03:14 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Lighten up, ehenningsen! There are threads like this on other states' forums as well. IMO, the worst town in Nebraska is Ogalalla (sp?). We drove all night across Neb once, as we couldn't find a motel on a Sat night due to lack of planning on our part. Anyway, we wound up in Og. at 6 AM, went to a restaurant and were refused a table. Not because there wasn't one available, I forget the reason, actually, but it didn't make sense. Went somewhere else. My DH, an Omaha native, I might add, said Og. has been a tourist trap since the Oregon Trail days. We avoid it if at all possible anymore. FWIW
I was refused a chicken or steak in Grand Island because the cook was tired!
Another, time I wanted a re-fill on their dishwater flavored coffee and they looked at the waitress looked at me like I was crazy!

The only thing about Central and Western Nebraska thats good is the memories of the customer service and hospatality horror stories I have from out there. I guess my experience with rural Central and Western Nebraska is the rule rather then the excpetion.

I have to admit after being through rural Nebraska a few times I actually couldnt believe that I actually wanted to get back to Lincoln the experiences I had in rural Nebraska.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I was refused a chicken or steak in Grand Island because the cook was tired!
Another, time I wanted a re-fill on their dishwater flavored coffee and they looked at the waitress looked at me like I was crazy!

The only thing about Central and Western Nebraska thats good is the memories of the customer service and hospatality horror stories I have from out there. I guess my experience with rural Central and Western Nebraska is the rule rather then the excpetion.

I have to admit after being through rural Nebraska a few times I actually couldnt believe that I actually wanted to get back to Lincoln the experiences I had in rural Nebraska.
Those stories and you think rural Nebraska is full of mean people? Sounds like my 2 hour experience in Albany NY. LOL.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:05 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default Pittnurse...

When somebody says something negative towards nebraska you call it an opionion, when I say an opionion, you call my head off and give me a bad rating.... I don't think your being very fair here pittnurse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska