U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM

76 posts, read 209,140 times

Advertisements

So sorry JC Denton that you have not had a good experience in Lincoln. I lived in Lincoln while attending the University and after graduation for a couple of years. I partially agree with your assessment of the city. The local politics are conservative, politically correct, and generally run by uptight white guys.

However, Lincoln does show signs of diversity, spiritual explorations, and a more laid back attitude. Have you listened to KZUM local radio? I suggest you give that local station a try. It will enlighten you to some unconventional activities happening in Lincoln. Scott Colburn, especially, has a great paranornal program on Saturday mornings. Scott also is a wealth of information about all kinds of neat things happening in the city. Also, don't forget the Hay Market area. There are interesting people and events that are tucked away in that little "neck of the woods"!

Not everything is GO BIG RED football! Ha!

Last edited by TTWW55; 01-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,889,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberforest View Post
All small towns across the USA are like that. If youre an outsider there is no prejudice over your greenbacks though. And if theres nothing they can gain from you theres no point in being nice. Sure you have a few nice people out there but if you dont show nothing to strangers to ofeer outide of good day, forget it. And why do you ask is this? Beause they are very unhappy indiiduals and you had just invaded thier territory taking the shining light that put them in the spotlight. Jealous ignorant fools who are nothing but blithering sapheads with no concept as to whom you are. And it is because of people like this I wont open the door for them in a supermarket, I wont pick anyone hitchhiking along the road even if I saw thier car on fire, because for all I know is thiat person could be one of the people that shunned me when I was down. If I am being hypocritical then so be it but I have had it with gawking farmers taking up space sitting in a store just to stck his nose where it belongs not ridiculing people. And although I am 57 years old I can and will say I didnt start how I feel, small town know it alls did.
Generalize much?

I moved into the outskirts of a tiny town in Nebraska 4 years ago, and have not experienced anything like you describe. Instead, we get phone calls inviting us to events, we share what we have with neighbors - trade eggs for produce, meat for hay, work we know how to do for work that they know how to do - we have lots of fun, lots of friends, and we love it here.

This past Sunday we went down to the only local restaurant for "Chicken Sunday", and we knew everyone there; we all sat together, talked, and had a great time. They kid us about our "Petting Zoo" of mini-cows and a short horse, in the middle of Angus ranches that span thousands of acres, and they bring their kids and out-of-town family members over to get used to farm animals that won't run them down. DH plows their driveways with his 4-wheeler when it snows, and we work on our little farm and enjoy it. The only people who are 'shunned' here are the ones who come in and try to change things to suit them, or tell people what to do, or who don't work and expect to be catered to. If "all small towns are like that" to you - maybe, just maybe, it's you.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:59 AM

76 posts, read 209,140 times
Be nice.....and, you'll be surprised! Kindness works!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM

981 posts, read 2,206,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxt View Post
I grew up in a small town in SE South Dakota, right on the NE boarder, so I hope I'm not out of line in talking about this.

My father was a highly intelligent and educated man, and received nothing but respect. I think this is because he was very hard-working and never, ever, talked down to anyone.

I believe that a big issue is the fact that small towns and their people are being pushed out. They want to preserve their way of life, but with manufacturing going overseas (remember the company towns?) and farms being replaced by agribusiness they are aware of it. So I'm not surprised at seeing some defensiveness (I would not call it rudeness) toward people from the cities. You will find if you get off the Interstate that most of the people have hearts of gold and a lot of the food is very, very good if you are a meat and potatoes man like I am. The best steak I ever had in my life was in a tiny place called Tea, South Dakota. They knew how to raise beef!

After years in the big city (I am retired), I would love to live in a small town again, but I fear that it would not be nearly the same, with poverty growing and the young people moving out. Recall that most of this country was rural even fifty years ago. It is a terrible shame to watch the decline as--excuse me--the federal government continues to encroach on our lives.
I think most of America's decline is due to endless population growth and the mass-consumption that comes with it. Feeding, housing and supplying hordes of people is done more efficiently with large-scale industries. Small towns are a remnant of days when there weren't 300+ million people in America, heading toward a possible 1 billion by century's end.

The "guv'mint," while imperfect, is merely trying to cope with managing growing hordes of people and their conflicting interests. That cause & effect gets confused with some sinister plot to make life more complicated on purpose.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,462,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I think most of America's decline is due to endless population growth and the mass-consumption that comes with it. Feeding, housing and supplying hordes of people is done more efficiently with large-scale industries. Small towns are a remnant of days when there weren't 300+ million people in America, heading toward a possible 1 billion by century's end.th some sinister plot to make life more complicated on purpose.
I wouldn't blame it all nor even the majority of our current economic problems on population explosion and Malthusian forces, at least not on domestic population explosion (as opposed to world population explosion which allows for global labor arbitrage). However, I do agree that it isn't helping matters much and that we would have more resources available per capita (and thus lower prices) if we had a lower population.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,012,171 times
Population growth is slowing way too quickly for the US to have 1 billion people by 2100. We're currently projected to have 450 million by 2050. No idea where you got your number....

Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,625 times
Default worse ever plainview ne clown town is a joke

i have lived 7 different states and i will tell you inless you are jailed there or blind or in a coma thats the only way to live in that sht town watch out for big bad chief clown he thinks he is a bull got to have balls boy

Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM

375 posts, read 685,062 times
Well as a lifelong nebraskan i would have to say that there isn't really a worst town in nebraska. There are some bad, some good, some with bad reputations that are good, and some that people like that aren't reallly that great. For me one of the bad ones would be David City, if only because I live there. For a town of 2600 it doesn't have much going for it. It used to have a small movie theatre. I know columbus and seward and now schuyler are close with theatres, but if it was a community project it could work, but they tore it down. Also, i feel like the only restaurants are fast food. The bars are okay, but the cafe in town isn't really that great and it just seems like the people complain about having nothing going on, but do nothing but complain and drink. Other than that i can't think of other towns that are bad . There are a lot of good ones though, like Central City, Wayne, Wahoo, even Schuyler close to where I live isn't bad its just different cultures and to be honest it makes it interesting and keeps it alive

Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,845 times
A little wide spot in the road North of Grand Island called Cedar Rapids...(no, not Iowa)...town of about 300-400 people...had a very long "relationship" in construction with that town...the people are a bunch of inbred yokels with a complete isolationist attitude...Just like the hillbillies in the Tennessee mountains. Absolutely no desire for improvement or outside help...the spur of the railroad shut down..the town now consists of 3 or 4 active businesses plus 3 taverns and a couple of gas stations. As I said I was involved with the folks around Cedar Rapids and neighboring communities in the construction business for years...tried everything to be supportive and helpful...got snubbed at every turn because I wasn't an "inbred relative"...so Cedar...here's to you sliding to 200 then to 100 then gone. What a dump!!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,950,011 times
Why does this horrible thread keep getting revived long after it dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska