Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:59 AM

48 posts, read 172,913 times

Advertisements

Yes North Bend. I have been there many times. I hear they get most of the spat of tornadoes then most cities in Nebraska. Anyway, watch out for illegals out there as well as Schuyler and Columbus. Out of those three towns, I would say North Bend is the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,864 times
We drive regularly from Omaha to our home in Louisville and have to go through Ogaalla. We have stopped there again. It's just as I said yesterday, bad experiences give you a bad impression about the place, no matter what.

pittnurse:
obviously, not all thread read, but confused as you say drive from omaha to louisville goes thru ogallala. checked again on nebraska map and still find omaha to louisville a 20 minute straight shot drive.
why go out of way to ogallala?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Louisville, Colorado

Old 05-03-2007, 04:20 PM

209 posts, read 432,559 times
Hello all:
Just found this site the other day and really enjoy reading all the posts. I grew up in Crawford and have to say I do miss the small town atmosphere. Whenever I'm lucky enough to visit western Nebraska, most all are very friendly and most wave while traveling down the rural roads. When I pulled off the side of the road three vehicles stopped to see if I needed help.

Also, having been in the restaurant business I can speak from experience. Good help is hard to find. One server with a bad attitude can ruin a days business. I used to tell all of my employees that a customer that has a good dining experience will generally pass this experience on to one or two other friends; but a customer that has a bad experience will tell everyone. I agree that it is up to the establishment to greet you and treat you with respect. You had the unfortunate luck to be greeted by a person that should not be in the "people" business. That restaurant is probably a "mom & pop" restaurant and they really do need the business; give them another chance next time you pass through.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
That restaurant is probably a "mom & pop" restaurant and they really do need the business; give them another chance next time you pass through.
Actually, it is some sort of chain restaurant. (Though I realize it could be owned by a "mom and pop".) I do realize it was that one individual, who could have used a little better training perhaps, in diplomacy. At the time I posted, I didn't think it would cause all the fuss that it did. Thanks for your support. It was difficult for me to stick to my guns through all the anger expressed towards me when this was a hot topic.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 PM

6 posts, read 26,908 times
I am 14 and I can say that I have traveled through most of the state, and love going through small towns. I do live in Omaha and I don't agree with any of them here about our fine smaller communites.

Whenever I go to a town, I stand on their main street and take a picture. I've done this for over two years now and am usually not bothered. I have felt uncomfortable in the town of Leshara, but I don't blame them for not liking city folk in their town.

For me, no towns in Nebraska are terrible. the only ones that I can't stand are the towns in the counties bordering Douglas and some of Lancaster Counties. What I can't stand is people from Omaha living in these towns and acting like they're experiencing the "small town feel", but you can't get until you get further west into authentic Nebraska.

I just try to look natural, and that you don't have a problem with the small town people, and I feel as if the local cafes are the best food that you can find.

DTO Luv, you need to travel more and get your head out of the clouds. I was absolutely offended by your comment. Soon, take a trip to my favorite town: David City.

(This was a reply to comments on page 2, sorry for coming in so late.)

Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 PM

jstory67:
Quote:
but you can't get until you get further west into authentic Nebraska.
I don't mean to sound snide, but I think "authentic Nebraska" is anywhere in Nebraska. My DH from Omaha is as Nebraskan as they come.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,154 times
Nebraska is Nebraska, but I definitely understand what he means concerning the western small towns and the metro area small towns. They are quite a bit different. I also think that many people who hate rural small towns feel that way because of paranoia and many people (not everyone...just some) haven't spent much more than a few minutes in these towns. They do possess a unique bit of character that just doesn', or can't, exist in small towns in the metro area.

That said, the same argument can be made about life in Omaha. I think many rural Nebraskans tend to be paranoid about Omaha and they do so having not really spent much time in the city. Omaha has a unique character that simply can not be reproduced in small towns.

Much of these two fringe opinions are derived from stupid stereotypes. Rural Nebraska thinks Omaha is a bunch of drug dealing car stealing gangmembers because that's what they get from the different media outlets. Likewise, people from the city tend to stereotype small town people as undereducated poverty stricken hillbillies. The truth there are very few people in Omaha who are more than a generation removed from a small town setting. Almost every single person I know either came from a small town or is a child of someone who came from a small town. So, the idea that Omaha, Lincolnite, or out-state Nebraskans are somehow innately different is pretty ridiculous.

I believe this is obvious to most, but a few on this board tend to represent the two extreme views I outlined above. I grew up in a tiny tiny town and absolutely loved it and still do. However,I also love Omaha and Lincoln and currently live in Lincoln (soon moving to Omaha). Each place offers its advantages and disadvantages, but its a matter of taste! It is not a matter of moral or economic superiority.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstory67 View Post
DTO Luv, you need to travel more and get your head out of the clouds. I was absolutely offended by your comment. Soon, take a trip to my favorite town: David City.

(This was a reply to comments on page 2, sorry for coming in so late.)

Despite what you may think I have been all over Nebraska. Like mattpoulsen said most of us are a generation away from rural relatives. My mom is from Nebraska City. Thank God, I'm from Omaha.

I have lived in Lincoln and Nebraska City. I've also spent extended amounts of time in Harvard and on ranches around Deweese and Utica. I've been to the Tri-Cities many times, mostly Hastings and Kearney though. I'm also familiar with the towns of Schyler and Columbus. I've actually even been to David City a couple of times. So don't think I have absolutely no clue about small town Nebraska.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Rural Nebraska thinks Omaha is a bunch of drug dealing car stealing gangmembers because that's what they get from the different media outlets.
That's my husband, LOL! I have often said he is a "city boy" from Nebraska since he grew up in Omaha, a larger city than the one I come from in Pennsylvania. Yet many people think I am the city slicker! He is only a generation removed from the farm (his mom is from a farm near Oakland). But he is a Husker fan even though he didn't even go to college in Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska