Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,138,406 times

Advertisements

Kearney lost their drive in theater today. Guess the tornado was the end of it. Lots of people have lots of memories there.
Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

Any of our members ever been to the Kearney Drive-in?

Last edited by tpabes; 07-18-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 85,962 times
No, but we used to go all the time at the one in Long Pine. Fun times- I wish my children could experience that.

Is Neligh the only drive-in left in Nebraska?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 PM

There is also one in Alliance, but only two left now.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:07 PM

475 posts, read 2,230,620 times
Omaha-Council Bluffs (just across the Veterans Bridge in CB) lost it's last one a couple of years ago... to make way for Google.

The owner supposedly said he had plans to open another one in the metro... but I've seen nothing supporting this lately.

Is the one in Alliance... right nearby the town? Is it really open... I can't seem to find any active links for it on the web. My family and I are going to be driving by Alliance towards the Black Hills... if the timing is right... we might just stop for a flick Saturday night.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,533,234 times
Well these days you could just pile a bunch of people into one of the newer fancy mini-vans, go out to a field at night, roll down the windows, then flip down the dcd screens from the ceiling, pop in the dvd of your choice and watch it...

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Omaha-Council Bluffs (just across the Veterans Bridge in CB) lost it's last one a couple of years ago... to make way for Google.

The owner supposedly said he had plans to open another one in the metro... but I've seen nothing supporting this lately.

Is the one in Alliance... right nearby the town? Is it really open... I can't seem to find any active links for it on the web. My family and I are going to be driving by Alliance towards the Black Hills... if the timing is right... we might just stop for a flick Saturday night.
Its called the Sandhills Drive In, and the newspaper said it was still operating, but the website says closed for the season.
GEJU Theatres | Alliance, Nebraska | Chadron, Nebraska | Hot Springs, South Dakota | Newcastle, Wyoming

Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 PM

303 posts, read 978,302 times
In El Paso Texas, where I was raised, we would go to the drive in at least once a month. Fond memories.

We used to drive to the Council Bluffs drive in when my kids were young. My grown son would take his children there as well.

Thinking about this now though, would a drive in actually be realistic? If I had my choice of watching a movie in my car in the hot sultry night spraying myself with OFF and wishing the family in the car next to me would be a bit more respectful of others around them or in a climate controlled theatre, I would opt for being inside, and keeping my car clean .

I must admit, I do miss the cheeseburgers we used to bring with us to enjoy an outdoor movie.

It does have its atvantages as well as down sides.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 AM

300 posts, read 1,176,698 times
I barely even remember the drive-in here in Lincoln. I think it was on 84th street but I could be mistaken. Man, I was only a few years old when they closed it. Now, years later I'm kinda bitter they did. I have never been to a drive-in. I hope that someday I can go to one, that is, if they're still around.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM

475 posts, read 2,230,620 times
People who haven't lived in Omaha that long may be interested to know that there were once drive-ins located at:

1. 84th and West Center
2. 120th and Q
3. 76th and Dodge
4. 114th and Dodge
5. 72nd and Hartman (up towards Immanuel Hospital)

There may have been another one (or two?)...but these are the only ones I can recall.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,303,057 times
That is sad about the Kearney Drive-In. I do remember loading our four kids in the car for a movie at the Kearney Drive-In. It was great - you paid by the "carload" so that saved us a bundle with the 6 of us. Plus we'd just put the kids in their p.j.'s, grab the snacks, and we were set for a cheap evening out.

I've always wondered why drive-in's ended up closing. I guess it was the VCR, DVD, movie rentals, etc. Plus people have gotten so they demand theater seats and surround sound. And then the land became valuable, so the theaters probably made more money by selling the land. . . . But it is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska