Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 38,690 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am from Valentine and want to move back to Nebraska to raise my kids. I have been raising them in Vegas and being a single mom....it is just too damn hard to raise them in this city. We need small town atmosphere or close to it. I want them to experience what i did growing up. True friends, fishing, water skiing, camping, hunting. Good people.
The problem is , is Valentine is way too small. So looking for something around probably 3-7 thousand. anyone have any suggestions? Was looking for something probably around the lincoln area. I dont mind driving a bit to work, but I have been in a city a long time, and don't want the city life anymore. But also can't go all the way back to no stores in town..lol..Also hoping their might be a social life for me also... I was reading the boards. Not really into a college town either. Close by is ok, but will be starting over and will have to rent a house for awhile. My dad and mom live in Westpoint area. So lincoln area would be close enough yet far enough away ,,,,,if you know what i mean....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
(are you wanting to be near-ish your folks?)
Pilger, Wisner, Beemer... All are nice, small towns that are close enough to bigger towns that one can enjoy raising their kids small, but still have employment. (Wisner-Pilger is a consolidated school district, btw)
And for that matter, West Point is also a nice, small town that has a few "big" town ammenities...

Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 PM

I know West Point, but it is a bit too small...I want to be close enough to enjoy them , but also far enough i can live my life. I have been gone so long and have not had family around for a long time. I am looking at the southeast Nebraska area so far. I figure the drive to visit is close and even to visit my brother in Valentine will be fine. I have friends that live in Rising City area, and would enjoy seeing them and having my kids growing up knowing their kids too. I do need something that is a bit bigger. My oldest son is my concern too, He is in High school and i will be making him move. So I need to do the compromise with him..lol...So too small would put him into culture shock i am afraid....

Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Plattsmouth or Nebraska City maybe?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM

How big are those cities?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Plattsmouth had 6,800 people at the 2000 census and its only 13 miles from Omaha and Nebraska City had 7,228 people at the 2000 census and is 35 miles south of Omaha.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
How about Seward, 20 miles west of Lincoln. It does have a small college, but I wouldn't really call it a college town. It has just under 7k, has stores and still has that small town charm.

Another possibility is Wahoo, around 4k. 30 miles from Lincoln and Omaha.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 22,834 times
If you chose Wahoo, Nebraska City, or those areas you'd have small town with the benefits of being able to drive to the city if you needed to in order to find a job. If we had to do it all over again, we would have tried for the outskirts of Omaha, that way I could still have my career which I had to give up due to lack of availability in Hastings, Grand Island, and Kearney is too far to drive daily with gas prices. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 AM

31 posts, read 76,625 times
I would suggest Waverly or Crete.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 PM

43 posts, read 137,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickety View Post
I would suggest Waverly or Crete.
Waverly would be my pick as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska