U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 05:01 PM

881 posts, read 1,377,968 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 y/o black male with a bachelors degree in marketing. I have been curious about Lincoln, due to the fact I am a fan of U of Nebraska football, for one, and I may consider going back for a master's degree at some point and I hear U of N has an excellent business program. Is there good deal of things to do in Lincoln? How would you say race relations are there? I currently live in Indianapolis and I am looking for a change, but want to go somewhere where there is a good college in town or close by in case I decide to go back to school. I graduated last year and have had a very hard time finding a position in marketing/account management/inside sales here..so any info about lincoln's job market would be appreciated, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 05:33 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,033,137 times
Omaha's Job Market is better but Lincoln has the better Business program and they both have a fair amount of things to do, though Omaha has more with the Qwest Center attracting a lot of the best acts. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM

536 posts, read 2,019,819 times
Lincoln's cool, Omaha's better .... either way they aren't far from eachother. Goodluck

Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,758,556 times
Lincoln and Omaha are very close to each other (45 minute commute from Omaha to campus). You could easily reap the benefits of both cities - Lincoln's superior college atmosphere and Omaha's more robust economy.

There are many people (I'm one of them) that go back and forth.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 AM

300 posts, read 1,101,119 times
There's more to do in Omaha than in Lincoln, but there's still a fair share of things to do. It mostly depends on what you like to do. There's a TON of bars in downtown Lincoln, a few clubs, bike paths, parks, ect. Enough to entertain, I think.
Race relationships are pretty stable, from what I've seen. My sister is white and she's dating a black male and she's never had a problem. I don't really see race as an issue here.
The Lincoln job market is growing, but there's quite a bit of competition b/c of UNL. Here's a local job search website.
JournalStar.com -- Lincoln, NE Jobs and Employment Resource

HTH

Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,873,484 times
Introspective 1,
I would be a liar if I told you that there were no racial problems anywhere in Nebraska because racism can be found just about everywhere. I will say this though for every racist S.O.B you find in Nebraska, there will be 999 salt of the earth great people. So all in all I would say the odds are in your favor of being around good people.

GL2

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,938,188 times
Default ..

Yeah, exactly like gunnlvr said.. There is always going to be somebody in nearly all places that seem to like to ruin it for everybody else..

With that said, each year the Lincoln, Omaha and tri-cities are more and more diverse, and we sport a pretty big black population here..

I think you will really like Lincoln, and honestly if you aren't one of those people that absolutely will explode on the inside without a hill, coastline (many lakes, but no ocean), or lots of hot sand then I think you are going to love our almost constantly growing economy, population (1.2 mill between Omaha and Lincoln), and new entertainment venues being added every year..

And as a college student, you will really enjoy Lincoln.. Great college atmosphere.. It truly is one of america's best University cities..

Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 AM

2,589 posts, read 9,856,460 times
If you go the Omaha route there are options other than UNL for your Masters... Creighton University, Bellevue University (great online programs), UNO, Grace University, etc... and you'll get just as much Nebraska football fever in Omaha as in Lincoln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska