Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times

Advertisements

Somewhere I read that if you took away all the speed signs and then monitored behavior that you would determine the best safe speed by taking the speed that the folks in the 85th percentile are doing and using that as the new set limit... the idea being that most reasonable folks have a feel for what is safe and not safe - those reasonable people (thus the 85th percentile idea) set the flow of traffic and that's the speed you want to set your signs at. Those folks know when its painfully slow (we've all seen those 30mph when 45mph made more sense) and those same folks know when it is uncomfortably fast...

Spoke to a cop one day and he said the 85th percentile idea is starting to be used more and more in places where they can record the speed of all cars over an extended period of time (like 5-7 days)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
On one trip out there to Nebraska we noticed that the speed goes up as one gets closer to Omaha. This was on I-80, coming from Colorado.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
On one trip out there to Nebraska we noticed that the speed goes up as one gets closer to Omaha. This was on I-80, coming from Colorado.
Actually I-80 in the entire state is 75mph, unless you are in the vicinity of a metro area where it will fluctuate between 55 & 75...

Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,330 times
I think she meant that the speed of traffic increases, not the actual speed limit itself. I would tend to agree with her, although you always get the people who absoluetly fly through western Nebraska.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
I think she meant that the speed of traffic increases, not the actual speed limit itself. I would tend to agree with her, although you always get the people who absoluetly fly through western Nebraska.
I'll agree with that...

Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Somewhere I read that if you took away all the speed signs and then monitored behavior that you would determine the best safe speed by taking the speed that the folks in the 85th percentile are doing and using that as the new set limit... the idea being that most reasonable folks have a feel for what is safe and not safe - those reasonable people (thus the 85th percentile idea) set the flow of traffic and that's the speed you want to set your signs at. Those folks know when its painfully slow (we've all seen those 30mph when 45mph made more sense) and those same folks know when it is uncomfortably fast...

Spoke to a cop one day and he said the 85th percentile idea is starting to be used more and more in places where they can record the speed of all cars over an extended period of time (like 5-7 days)..
Found a Q&A on the 85th percentile concept: 85th Percentile Speed (http://www.dma.org/~ganotedp/85th.htm - broken link)

The trick is getting the good statistical measure, which up to now was never feasible to do (since you needed someone with a radar gun to record) and you couldn't do that at all hours of the day/night over an extended period.... but, now they have those speed detectors that actually record every reading and store the data so the cops can get a report for the entire week...

Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Actually I-80 in the entire state is 75mph, unless you are in the vicinity of a metro area where it will fluctuate between 55 & 75...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Yes, that is what I meant, and it was my DH, the Nebraskan, who made note of this.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 31,247 times
As to the 85 percentile thing, I remember driving through Montana a few times when the Daytime speed Limit was wide open on the highway.

On the flats you had to cruise a steady 95 to 100 mph to avoid geting jammed by traffic, and even then most were passing, including 18 wheelers. The one time I tried to keep up in one stretch the speedometer was showing 115 to 120. and that was going into a bit of a winding section of highway along the Snake river.

Not sure that the 85 percentile rule would work so well on open highway, and residential areas. Speed Limits still temper those findings, and I believe once the limit was adjusted, traffic would still push pass the new limit.

On the whole I find myself doing about 5 over on the average just to flow with traffic, especially on two lane roads.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM

79 posts, read 205,653 times
Funny, I drive Montana all the time and never find people driving like that, even on the interstates. There are actually several stated limits on sections of 25. I drive a high performance Mustang and don't drive like that either. Safe is safe and over 85 isn't safe. Most people's tires aren't even rated to go over 90 without risking a blowout. If your gonna drive that fast, you better be spending some serious money and buy Z rated tires as they will deal with the speeds like that. Others won't.

Last edited by keltec; 10-11-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, that is what I meant, and it was my DH, the Nebraskan, who made note of this.

Funny that you say that Katiana, cause I noticed that too when I travel along I-80 to go to North platte or that area.. I need to do more research on that phenomena and if I find something I'll post my findings with the rest of y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska