Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I had thought of Vermillion but was unsure of how active the town might be. Is it filled with student oriented businesses (bars,etc) or is there demand for more adult oriented businesses such as green grocers or coffee shop/restaurants that aren't grungy student-like? I know it's not Nebraska but thought if anyone knew first hand since it was mentioned here. Thanks.
I haven't been to Vermillion enough to answer your questions, I have just driven through a few times. However, feel free to make a thread on the South Dakota board. There are really nice people on that board and they can answer your questions better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
Quote:
I like what I see of Crete, especially it's proximity to Lincoln. Can anyone tell me more about it? Looks like a decent sized/active downtown..??
Crete's not a bad place, personally I like Seward better, but thats just me. I haven't spent a ton of time in Crete, but to me in seemed like an interesting mix of meatpacking town, college town, and somewhat a bedroom community to Lincoln. They recently opened a Wal-mart on the edge of town, so it will be interesting to see if that affects downtown or not.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:40 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times
Quote:
I live in Philadelphia, formerly Washington DC and before that a resident of North Carolina and Florida....and always at the very least in a crowded, traffic filled suburb. I'm officially through with all of that and ready to live someplace quieter, more affordable and simpler.

A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it.

Additionally a low housing cost from a buyer's perspective is a must. My leftover equity from my home sale (after paying cash for my new home in NE) would fund that. I have some ideas but don't want to sway the responses. Thanks.
Well, it depends on what your definition of small is

Secondly, I don't know whos liberal or note

But Ord(population of 2100 and change, 1 hr NW of grand Island) has been noted for it's economic development and downtown area and trying to attract businesses to town

www.knlvradio.com
OrdNEUSA.com - Ord, Nebraska

Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Well, it depends on what your definition of small is

Secondly, I don't know whos liberal or not

But Ord(population of 2100 and change, 1 hr NW of grand Island) has been noted for it's economic development and downtown area and trying to attract businesses to town

KNLV Radio: Central Nebraska's source for local news, sports and weather, Ord Daily Newspaper online
OrdNEUSA.com - Ord, Nebraska
More liberal would be where diversity is accepted, not everyone goes to church sunday morning at 8am, not everyone gets married at 25 and begins sprouting children, where walmart isn't the only "good" place to shop, a place where not everyone worships walmart, where there are independent local retailers who provide quality locally produced products which are patronized by locals even if it means paying more than at walmart where all of the products are made/imported from china...

thats what us liberals like...

Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times
Quote:
More liberal would be where diversity is accepted, not everyone goes to church sunday morning at 8am, not everyone gets married at 25 and begins sprouting children, where walmart isn't the only "good" place to shop, a place where not everyone worships walmart, where there are independent local retailers who provide quality locally produced products which are patronized by locals even if it means paying more than at walmart where all of the products are made/imported from china...

thats what us liberals like...
WELL..

ALOT of people do go to church on Sundays here

Not everyone gets married at 25 and sprouts children.

We don't have a Walmart here

We support and encourage local business.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 PM

76 posts, read 234,692 times
Seward is a great smaller town.....good choice!There a tiny villages all around Lincoln....Dorchester, Exeter, Fairmont, Geneva, Sutton (this is a bit father away)....Or how about living in the Havelock area in north Lincoln...it's an annexed older community that is very cool.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM

76 posts, read 234,692 times
There's great little towns in Nebraska just an hour drive from the state capital....Lincoln.

Try Geneva or York or tiny villages like Exeter, Fairmont, Friend, Dorchester....

Seward is a GREAT midsize town...it is lovely! It's only 20 to 30 minutes from Lincoln.

KW

Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,345 times
Quote:
for a somewhat liberal town and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business
To find a liberal area and enough people to support your organic food business, you will need to be by on in a larger population.

For local/organic foods we have tons of farmers markets.

In my small town I barely need a garden since so many people plant their own and give excess away for free.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM

608 posts, read 923,577 times
Take a look at Aliance, NE. There's a good sized population there and the town is very isolated. (Nearest larger market would be Scottsbluff, about 60 miles away.) Alliance has a large number of well paid railroad employees from many states throughout the USA that would likely welcome the business you wish to start. As far as I know, you'd have no competition in Alliance, and although I'm not sure if the town is liberal or not, I do know that a locally owned coffee shop/bookstore and a gourmet restaraunt have opened there in the last few years and have done very well. Most people don't expect to see businesses of this sort in Western Nebraska, but you'd be suprised. From having lived in Alliance, I believe that an organic farmers market or grocery store selling naturally raised beef and produce would be in high demand there.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 PM

370 posts, read 1,356,896 times
Wow, another thread over a year old ressurected from the dead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska