Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times

Advertisements

There is a plan for Trader Joes to open a location in Omaha, I believe in the Dundee neighborhood, we also have a whole foods and wild oats... Hy-Vee is building super-massive stores.. We also have no-frills etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 11:23 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
Omaha also has a couple of 24 hour fitnesses. I think we've got some Bally's too.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:51 AM

8 posts, read 28,099 times
Cafe,

There's only one true hip hop station I can think of: Hot 107.7. Other than that there's top 40 stuff on 94.1, and 102.7.

For grocery stores, I think it was already pretty well covered, there's Russ's, Hy-Vee, SunMart, SuperSaver, Bag N' Save, Super Wal-Mart (unfortunately), as well as some smaller ethnic ones. For organic foods, we have a Whole Foods and a Wild Oats in Omaha. Some of these are open 24 hours, wally-world is obviously as well as Hy-Vee and all but one of the Russ's. Russ's is a Lincoln chain that seems to be the most diminent in the Lincoln grocery market. The other's I'm not too sure about.

Additionally, there are only 24-Hour Fitness's in Omaha, no Bally's anywhere, there is a Gold's Gym or two and a Prairie Life in Lincoln and a Lifetime Fitness is currently close to being done with construction but that's also in Omaha.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I think the OP was asking about Lincoln. Kinda far to go to Omaha to grocery shop or work out, IMO.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM

36 posts, read 130,504 times
I was serious about learning to ride a horse. Not so much about the spraying it with Febreeze, but maybe with some Bath & Body pear scented body spray--I think it smells better. But, yes, I really want to ride a horse! It looks like a lot of fun! I can just picture myself, on a horse (can it be black?!) and galloping across the meadows, not a care in the world.... Okay, I am getting way ahead of myself! LOL.

I was trying to navigate the UNL website, but could not find any mention of the fitness center, or any pictures of it. I am so glad you told me--it's really very nice to have a gym right on campus. So these are nice new facilities? I went to UC Irvine, and it has such a wonderful gym, two floors, with an indoor rubber running track on the second floor--I'm sure going to miss it. Does the UNL center have an indoor running track? That's by far my favorite means of getting a workout. Hook on my ipod, and I'm good to go.

OMG, Dennis, I practically live at Trader Joes! I love that place! It has everything! Whenever you want to make dinner for friends, and entertain, you can never go wrong by stopping by there--your meal is practically guranteed to turn out well. Have you tried the Blueberry beer? I forget the brand (it has a polar bear on it wearing a yellow fisherman's cap), but damn, if it ain't good! Go get some now, if you're by Trader Joes and you're not allergic to alcohol or a recovering alcoholic. I mean it!

Pittnurse, thanks for the voice of reason there, LOL. I was NOT about to drive 30-40 minutes to go grocery shopping, even if it is Traders Joes--at least, not on a regular basis. But thanks for trying to console me guys by telling me that TJ will open in Omaha! LOL. Never heard of a Hy-Vees or Russ. What's the sales tax you guys pay over there? Here, it is 8.35 or something like that, I think. Hope it isn't as high over there.

So, what's the feel of the downtown area? Is it like real old-townish (which is a good thing)? Like a bunch of restaurants and bars close together, where you can walk from one establishment to the next, with cute lamposts and small streets? Or is like more detached of a downtown, with wide streets and not so much of a connected feeling?

Plus, I'm guessing that they salt the streets during the winter time over there to melt the ice. Does this rust the underbelly of your car? If so, are there ways to prevent this?

Thank you so much for all your comments, I really do appreciate it!

Holly

Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
The rec center on City Campus is VERY nice. Its the nicest student rec center in the big 12 and it rivals most facilities that are used by Division I athletic programs. Ironically, our athletes don't use this facility...they use another one, which is even better.

Anyway, yes it has an indoor rubberized running track. It has a huge weight and cardio room too. It has a rock climbing wall, circuit training, several sports courts, and a pool. It also has an indoor football field, if you'd have a need for one! It also has several other things, but I haven't been over there in years, so I'm not an expert. At any rate, they do a very good job of keeping things updated. Here is the link that I found: http://crec.unl.edu/ The different things that I listed above are available in the left panel under "Campus Rec Center", you'll have to click on the more button. Also, keep in mind east campus has a rec center too, but it doesn't offer as an extensive offering as the city campus.

The sales tax in Lincoln, NE is 7.00%. Keep in mind though that there is no tax on food (unless its been prepared in a restaurant).

In my opinion, there kind of two downtown sections. One section is kind of the typical college bar scene with many many bars and there is a different bar for every taste. The other section is the "Haymarket District". This has more of the old-fashioned feel that you mentioned. It has very small walkable brick streets and a variety of shops and restaurants. And, yes, it even has those "old lamposts". Omaha has a similar district called the "Oldmarket". It is more extensive than is Lincoln's version and has a more robust offering of shops, restaurants, and bars. At any rate, the downtown area is well integrated into the surrounding area.

Yeah, you'll definitely have a winter shock! Don't worry about the salted streets. Yes, it can cause rusting, but only if you neglect it. Basically, after a snowstorm, as you mentioned, the streets and roads get salted down. All you need to do is go and run your car through a car wash once the effects of the storm are gone (i.e. snow and slush have melted). It really isn't a big deal at all. That raises a question. So, have you ever driven on snow and/or ice??

Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,944 times
There are several stables in the Lincoln area where you can go to learn how to ride a horse. Most of these are close to Pioneer Park that is on the west side of Lincoln. Also it is not that far from UN-L and the downtown area. Just check out the yellow pages of the phone book when you get there. Enjoy the ride and no you will not need boots and cowboy hat to ride a horse.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM

41 posts, read 121,381 times
About getting your nature/horseback riding fix: there are two excellent state parks about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln (only about a 20 minute drive from either city). Just go to I-80 exit 426. Eugene T. Mahoney State Park is pretty much the premier state park of the midwest. It has campgrounds, cabins, and a lodge (basically a hotel) that you can stay in. For activities, it has a waterpark, an indoor playground, ice skating and sledding in the winter, horseback trail rides, an observation tower, paddle boat rentals, mini-golf, driving range, a theater that puts on melodramas (which are extremely fun to go see--you get to throw popcorn at the villain!), and of course trails for hiking and small lakes for fishing. Check out more at http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/parks/gu...sp?Area_No=273
Platte River State Park is nearby and also very nice. There is a bit less to do there, but it tends to be a little quieter and more nature-y. They have cabins, trail rides, an archery range, paddle boat rentals, and an observation tower, and they are VERY well known for excellent mountain biking trails. Check out http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/parks/gu...sp?Area_No=224 for more info
IMO, the trail rides are better (tend to be smaller groups) at Platte. If you really want to actually learn how to ride (as opposed to pretty much just sitting on the horse), you can take lessons at a stable. These are usually very expensive, though. Hour-long trail rides at the parks are only I think $12-13.
While I'm talking about Exit 426, I might as well mention that there is also the Strategic Air Command Air and Space Museum, and the Henry Doorly Zoo's Wildlife Safari at that same exit. It's kind of an entertainment hub in the middle of nowhere--it'd be very nice to stay the night at Mahoney and spend a few days checking out all the stuff.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM

41 posts, read 121,381 times
P.S. As for the ATVs, I'm sure you'll meet several people who live out in the country and have them. Nebraskans are generally very hospitable, so I'm sure most would be happy to take you out sometime.

P.P.S. I concur that the rec is probably the best workout facility you'll find--plus it's FREE for students to use (okay, so you actually pay for it through student fees, but....). They also offer classes in everything from yoga to aerobics to judo, as well as backpacking, canoeing etc.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 130,504 times
Default Haven't seen you NE folks for a while

Thanks for the horse riding suggestions. I'lll look into it.

No, I've never driven on ice. I don't imagine it's any different. Brake a lot, avoid ice. Drive slow.

Where is a great place to buy furniture at reasonable prices? You guys do not have Ikea?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska