Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 86,113 times

Advertisements

It's that time of year and I was wanting a collection of "ghost stories" from Nebraska to tell the boys in my scout troop. We usually do a haunted house or hayrack ride, but this year I was entertaining the idea of a bonfire and spooky stories.

I feel that a story people can relate with scares better. LOL

Does anyone have a scary story to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:12 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,135 times
Pick up a book of the Ghosts of Lincoln. Those are supposed to be true ghost stories.
Sounds like fun!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM

94 posts, read 337,055 times
I grew up in a house with "activity" in it. Very firm believer in ghosts... Seen and heard alot of things growing up. Once my parents moved into a different home, never heard or saw anything again. We really don't talk about it with people, even my husband rolls his eyes when the family gets together and talks about everything that would go on it that house. Wish I could go back now as a adult and stay a few nights there to see if anything would happen and talk to the new owners to see if they ever experienced anything. It has been about 11 years since they sold the house and I believe there has been at least 4 different families living in it.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,768,415 times
When I was a kid about 14 my brothers and I used to go to a neighbors house about 10 miles from our house or 25 miles southwest of McCook,NE on our motorcycles.

One evening we were all standing outside this house (a modern ranch house) and nobody was inside. There was no wind or any kind of weather going on. Us brothers and owners of the house were talking when all of a sudden the window shutters started to bang back and forth and the windows opened and closed by themselves.

That freaked us out but the owners said they had seen a ghostly figure once in there bedroom and a little boy had gone upstairs once and came back crying saying there was a man up there.

We went home on our bikes as fast as we could and did not discuss it much after that until we became adults years later.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM

94 posts, read 337,055 times
there was quite a few things that happened to us when we were growing up, and I always blamed it on a "bad dream".. Then years later when my brother and I were talking about strange happenings in the house. we both described the exact same old lady that would visit us in the night.. scared the holly bajezzes out of us. I never told anyone about her thinking I was dreaming and my brother never said anything thinking people would think he was crazy.

We also heard conversations of groups of people. One night I heard a group of women on the middle floor talking and laughing, I assumed it was my mother getting off from work and some of the girls she worked with came over for awhile. I went down to the middle level of the house and it was pitch dark. not one person was there and it was dead silent and dark. I think it took me about 5 steps to make it back up that stair case and jumped into bed with my parents!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,772 times
Some list of Haunted places in Nebraska... not sure if it's a good one or not.

Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Nebraska

Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 86,113 times
We lived near a town where a boy supposedly drowned in the water tower around 1900. Needless to say, we always talked about the little boy chasing cars along that road.

Another fave, was about an old orphanage used in the railroad days. Supposedly a wave of whooping cough or a fever took its toll on the children and they never left. Beds and toys move across the floors, etc. We took pictures of the house, and there were shadows in the window. Nobody has lived in that house for very long- probably just a fun story. It's vacant still.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,953 times
Default a haunting story in Nebraska

Before the current owners moved in they were told that it was a haunted house. One couple even backed out of their contract after signing, because they too said it was haunted. The people who live their now, hear and see things often. Such as hearing squeaky footsteps when no one else is around, loud banging ( with no explanation as to what). Younger children have woke up screaming and pointing, while trembling in the night. Lights have flicked on and off, channels on the television change on their own. Their was even an incident where a plastic drawer, flew off of a shelf that had been on the shelf for 2 years. Doors are known to mysteriously open even when firmly shut. The house has a lot of history. Including the original owner having her funeral at the house. ( this house was also a brothel back in the day)A psychic and a Catholic priest has said the house has a friendly spirit and it means no harm.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 13,953 times
Also, one night while talking on the phone, out of no where I seen a apparition. It appeared to be a misty white color of a body. It ran from our dining room window and then up the stairs. Within 30 seconds or so my at the time 3 year old started screaming. My husband and I ran upstairs to my daughters bedroom. She was throwing up quite a bit. She was not running a fever or anything. There has also been times where our microwave goes nuts. Such as keep going after it has ended (while also beeping), or buttons beep when we walk near it or are in the same room. We had it unplugged and the wires checked etc. There was no indication of the microwave malfunctioning. Before we moved into this house I was a skeptic of these sorta things. But after all we have seen and heard in this house, I can assure you these things are real. Although there is nothing to be afraid of. At least with our case. She doesn't hurt anyone. I will keep posting as I remember things. And as things come up.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM

18 posts, read 81,268 times
Kylie,

What town did you live in? I'm writing a book of ghost stories, but mine are focused in towns and cities along the Missouri River.

Thanks!

--Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska