Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 26,044 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to be working on a refinery they are building around Columbus and he has to be there Monday. Looking online there is really nothing available house or apartment in Columbus, so he will have to browse around when he gets there.

Does anybody know about Richland or Schuyler or any other small towns on the east side of Columbus? Are they nice places to live? We would really like to rent a house, but an apartment may be all we can find. We hope to be there as long as 2 years.

We live in Central Arkansas, so this is kinda a big change for us weather wise (except for the tornados) ;0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM

94 posts, read 337,202 times
http://www.columbustelegram.com
also call the chamber of commerce at (402) 564-2769, they can give you names also of places to rent.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,072 times
Richland is a very small town and very doubtfull if you will find anything there. Schuyler also doubtful as most all rentals are snapped up by the Hispanics.

The link above to the Telegram will be quite helpful to you as many rentals are posted in there.

I would also suggest some of realtors in town as they manage apartments there.

Good luck in Columbus, been there years ago, and don't plan on going back.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 9,794 times
I just recently moved here with husband and thank god we bought a home casue there was absolutely nothing to rent due to many families moving here and stay away from the trailer courts due to gang activity & drive by shootings! We live on the outskirts and there has been many break ins of homes as well. Gang activity has hit Columbus bad. I lived here 16 years ago and it was a nice town but now it has gotten scary. Otherwise the community is a nice place to be wit most people. Good Luck!!! We looked around all small towns this January and nothing and if we did expensive and junk. It was a nightmare finding something. We almost were homeless. The woman that helped us was thru Century 21 named bonnie she was great at trying to find us rentals and found us our new home so give her a try!!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! There is currently only 1 rental in the newspaper at the moment, and he may get to look at that next week. A couple others that people have renters looking at, but he might get to see this weekend also. All are about 20miles south. A nice lady at Century 21 is trying to help me too. She sent me a couple they had listed and said she would keep an ear out for me. I got a list from the Chamber of Commerce and i have made it almost through it with little luck.
It sounds like a good place to own rental property. The landlords get to be a little more picky about who they rent to. Not good to be in our shoes at the moment though.

A little bit of a drive is fine, as long as the roads are clear to get to work. Nebraska is probably better than Arkansas about that. Here if it ices pretty much everything closes down and we stay home until it melts. No joke ;0)

I was just about to break down and call the trailor parks, but NO WAY now!

Are Bellwood and Shelby pretty decent places?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
I have actually never been to Bellwood so can't help you there. Shelby seems like a typical small town. If your not afraid of a little drive, you might also look at David City, it is a little bigger town about 25 miles southeast of Columbus. Other towns to consider might be Silver Creek to the southwest, Monroe to the northwest and Humphrey to the north. You can contact city clerks in these small towns and hopefully they can help you find rentals.

If you really, really get in a bind check out Fremont (48 miles east on US 30) and Norfolk (45 miles north, 4 lane expressway the whole way). Both these cities are bigger than Columbus, so hopefully they would have some rental opportunities. Best of luck with your search and welcome to Nebraska!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Shelby is good, nice little grocery store there still, good folks. Rising City to the east of Shelby has a couple homes for rent right now I believe. But no grocery store there any more. Bellwood would be good also, not sure on rentals in there. David City, nice town also.

I see no one has mentioned North Bend, been a long time since I have been there.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Can anybody tell me about Silver Creek?
I'm going to call their office tomorrow. From their website they seem like a tiny little town, which sounds great for us. It is what we are used to here.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Silver Creek is about 20 miles south-west of Columbus. It is located right on HWY 30 main highway. Small town for sure. I don't know if they have a grocery store anymore or not. Their school is consolidated now with three other towns I believe.

I used to do business there quite a bit with a couple places but they are now long gone. I do know that they used to have a very nice cafe on mainstreet. Meant a lot of nice folks there.

Rentals might be tough to find. Wish I could help you out more.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,888 times
I really don't think you would like Bellwood. It is really small! Brainard, David City, or Shelby would be my favs. I went to HS in Brainard at East Butler. It's a nice town. David City is really nice too. Plus, they just got a Runza restaurant this year. You don't know what that is yet, but you will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska