Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 46,144 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! A few years back on a trip from Colorado, we passed through a small town; Ogallala, and fell in love with the town and location. The past few months I have decided to relocate from my current residence in Wisconsin and plan on moving to Nebraska. I have researched several different places and the only one that I have found the would seem to suit me, would be Ogallala. I currently live in a town of 1000 people. My career that I'am in and would like to continue to pursure is radio broadcasting. Some things that I'm turning to you folks for help would be, what kind of employment options are available in the Ogallala/ North Platte area and what is typical summer and winter weather? ( For like snow and severe weather; both of which im VERY fascinated in) I was also wondering, are there rental units such as apartment in Ogallala? Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping me make some decisions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,129,772 times
If you go to the the city data page for Ogallala, towards the bottom of the page is a list of radio stations.
//www.city-data.com/city/Ogallala-Nebraska.html
It might be a good place to start to get the names of the stations in the area. Otherwise I guess what kind of employment would you be interested in? The North Platte telegraph will be a good source for jobs in North Platte.
North Platte Telegraph > Front
This is a good site for jobs all over Nebraska (you can do a search to just do the Ogallala area):
Nebraska JobLink

It can get hot in the summer and cold in the winter, as far as snow and severe weather you should be able to get a good amount of both. You might try to contact the chamber of commerece or city clerk for some rental information.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM

Thank you for the reply back and for the links. I found them all very helpful. You were wondering about what kind of employment I was interested in; my first choice would be anything in broadcasting, specifically radio or newspaper would be fine as well. I guess secondly would be something in food service. I have worked both fields (radio more) and have found them to be both very enjoyable. I guess basically in today's age with the economy, I would be glad to take anything if I have to. I was just wondering, what is the distance between North Platte and Ogallala? If I remember right I think it's about 60 miles on I-80

Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM

You're pretty close, its about 50 miles between North Platte and Ogallala. I would guess there would be food service jobs in Ogallala with it being an interstate stop and also tourist area with the lake.

I also found these websites:
http://www.visitogallala.com/
http://www.keithcountyjobs.org/

Might help get you some more information.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM

Awesome...... great sites and I thank you very much for all your help!!! Truly appreciated and truly helpfull. Do you know off hand if there are any apartments or rental places in Ogallala. I have searched and have not been able to find too much. I did find a couple of really nice low priced houses in town... but I would rather start off by renting instead of buying.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:29 AM

I don't know any off hand and I actually live about 2.5 hours from Ogallala so I don't get there to often. You can always call the city clerk to see if they know of any or they might be able to get you in contact with the newspaper so you could see the classifieds. Some real estate agencies might have some rentals also.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:45 AM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
You'll like Ogallala. My best friend's dad used to own a small place there and we would have a blast boating and fishing at Lake McConaughy, one of the top reservoirs in the state. They draw a lot of people from Colorado on weekends. Ogalalla is a drier climate than most of Nebraska which is probably why I prefer that end of Nebraska as I live in Colorado. I scoot through there every now and then and the only things I don't like about it is that medical facilities and shopping are kind of small and North Platte is where you would have to go for those services, which is 50 miles east. Other than that, hanging the old hat at Ogalalla would be ok- it's a neat little town!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-16-2008 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,287,204 times
We lived in Ogallala for about 13 years. It was a great place to raise kids - fantastic school system! As far as rentals, you'll probably need to check out the classifieds in the newspaper and also look on the bulletin boards in the grocery stores, etc. Also a lot of rentals are advertised by word of mouth, so if you visit, be sure and let people know you're looking for something to rent.

We loved our years in Ogallala. It is a nice clean town and it's location close to Lake Mac is a real plus. About the only downside is the distance to larger towns. North Platte is okay, but I'd hate to commute there for work. I don't think it would pay you with the price of gas what it is and Nebraska wages being as low as they are. There is the local radio station in Ogallala and also the newspaper. There are also quite a few businesses in Ogallala that hire frequently. I don't think most people are aware of that.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Ogallala as much as my family did.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Wow.....from what I'am reading sounds like I would be making a good decision on making a move there. Thanks you all for your posts and links. Everything is very helpfull. As for the commute to work, I currently drive 56 miles one way to get to where I work. And the roads that I have to take are very windy and up and over the bluffs here in Wisconsin. NOT FUN. So I would be glad to drive 50 miles if I had to being it's flat, straight and an interstate. So I suppose something else I should probably know; are Nebraskan's freindly and helpfull and easy to get along with? From what I know they are alot like Wisconsinite's. I hope thats true!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Also, I know Nebraska is quite tornado prone. Is that true? Especially in the North Platte Ogallala area? I have always wanted to see one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska