Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times

Advertisements

"hot?"
Most gay couples I know look suspiciously like the rest of us...
Neither is particularly "hot." lol

BTW, in response to Granny's original question, yes, there are already churches that marry gay couples. I remember a Nebraska Methodist minister even married a couple back in the mid 90s... My sister in law married her partner in a church ceremony in Spearfish, SD a year or so ago...

However, it won't be recognized by the state which means no benefits/automatic transferal of estate/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Thanks,ItsMeFred. So wouldn't it be better for these married couples to be the 'face' of the changing of gay rights? Granted, screaming and ranting and raving, sending emails, LTEs, and calling Congresscritters is very cathartic, but real change comes from presenting things in a positive light that shows the goodness and validity of the change. Don't scream "Why won't you! It's my right!" - Instead, present the problems of responsible couples trying to stay together, and ask them to solve those problems in a reasonable and defined way. Legislatures are not moved by protests on the steps, but by open and steady, rational discourse. Facts and figures - such as the costs of maintaining their diversification - will help as well. Input from others who believe the same, even and especially though they are not a part of that lifestyle, is also a validation of the change that needs to be made. Legislators run for office because they want to help people. Give them the chance to do so - and give those who run against them next time a platform if they don't or won't help you. THAT's REAL political action.

It's all about the spin.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
What would be great news is if 2 hot dudes were allowed to marry each other. Or 2 hot chicks were allowed to marry each other. They changed the laws for seniors, one of the biggest groups most opposed to gay marriages. Time for some consideration for gay rights!!!
it is apples and oranges first of all and secondly why do you say "hot" dudes or "hot chicks"? What does that have to do with gay or straights marrying?

Nita

Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Alright gay residents of Nebraska! What do you say? Let's get Nebraska's anti-gay marriage amendment repealed. Its time for marriage equality! Let's also get some legislation passed to include sexual orientation and gender identity into Nebraska's discrimination laws!
I'm not aware of any legislation that says gay people can't get married.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times
Don't be ignorant. It's not attractive.

I have a question for those of you against marriages for gays. Would you be against a gay couple having their spouse on the others work insurance? If they're in a long term committed relationship whats the harm in letting one get the others insurance? You can't keep your head in the sand on issues affecting gay people whether you're gay or not. It's reality and you'll have to deal with it sometime.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Don't be ignorant. It's not attractive.

I have a question for those of you against marriages for gays. Would you be against a gay couple having their spouse on the others work insurance? If they're in a long term committed relationship whats the harm in letting one get the others insurance? You can't keep your head in the sand on issues affecting gay people whether you're gay or not. It's reality and you'll have to deal with it sometime.

We are dealing with it. We don't want it and we're rejecting it. Unfortunately the gay lobby doesn't seem to realize that they can't always have their way and they continue to whine and cry like a bunch of 3 year old kids.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times
You're not dealing with anything and you didn't answer the question. Gay marriages are legal in 4 states and those states haven't been wiped off the map by some holy retribution yet.

Get real.

The laws that are in place now affect real people, myself included. Why would I want to live in a state where I don't have the same opportunities and rights as the one next door? Just from a business decision it's not smart to have discriminatory policies in place.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
We are dealing with it. We don't want it and we're rejecting it. Unfortunately the gay lobby doesn't seem to realize that they can't always have their way and they continue to whine and cry like a bunch of 3 year old kids.
And yet, in most cases, they probably should "have their way."
Discrimination is unConstitutional.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
And yet, in most cases, they probably should "have their way."
Discrimination is unConstitutional.
What discrimination is taking place? Gay people have the exact same rights I do. You guys just don't seem to get it, do you? We're not saying you can't get married. You have the same restrictions on marriage that I do.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,754 times
Kdbrich,

That EXACT same argument was used by states who outlawed interracial marriage and practiced racial segregation. Blacks had the same rights...so why should the government intervene?? At least that's how the racists made the argument.

The whole thing hinges on how the "rights" are defined. Is it a right to marry the person of your choosing...or is it a right to marry someone only of the opposite sex?? In your case, the person you choose is of the opposite sex. But that doesn't mean that others aren't having their rights limited.

This has been argued over and over on this board...and to suggest that the gays have the "same" rights as the others is simply ignoring the problem by claiming there is no problem. Well, if you were gay I'm willing to bet you would agree there is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska