U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 AM

9 posts, read 30,118 times

Advertisements

I posted an earlier thread stating we were moving to Kearney...thank you to those who responded. I thought I would broaden the question a little bit....
What is it like to live there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM

94 posts, read 320,427 times
What brings you to Kearney, do you have kids, what do you like to do?
I have several cousins who live there and they love it, they where raised there, joined the service, seen the world.. then came back home.. They love Kearney. They have kids in the school system and just love it. Sports wise the kids are involved in all sports, high school and traveling leagues. I love it our kids compete from different schools, but we still sit together during ball games, her in her Kearney High and I in my GI Northwest attire... lots of good ribbing from others in the crowd.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 AM

40 posts, read 105,725 times
I agree with the other people who posted: Kearney is a great town. Lots of great shops on Central Ave. in the downtown area. The university makes Kearney a more progressive city than it would be without it. To some people, progressive may be an ugly word meaning liberal, but I happen to think it's more about being forward-thinking and proactive in city planning and placing a premium on arts and education. I do wish that Kearney could get a second I-80 exit closer to the Gateway Arch. Anyone have any updated info. on how that is coming along? Good luck in your move, MAKT, and welcome to Nebraska!!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,520,168 times
I used to live in Lexington(35 mins from Kearney)before it went to hell and..
Kearney was the place to go.I like Kearney but i havent been there in a while...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalynn View Post
What brings you to Kearney, do you have kids, what do you like to do?
I have several cousins who live there and they love it, they where raised there, joined the service, seen the world.. then came back home.. They love Kearney. They have kids in the school system and just love it. Sports wise the kids are involved in all sports, high school and traveling leagues. I love it our kids compete from different schools, but we still sit together during ball games, her in her Kearney High and I in my GI Northwest attire... lots of good ribbing from others in the crowd.

We've never even been to Nebraska. You've heard of throwing a dart at a map and moving to where it landed? That is basically what we've done! LOL We went through the map and found some places that are comparable to what we're used to as far as cost of living and narrowed it down to about 4 towns (not all in NE). The people in Kearney ( I have befriended some from myspace) and the Chamber of Commerce have been so friendly and eager to help and we are sold! We've been researching the job and housing situation and I checked into the weather....tornadoes! AAAAAAHHHHHH! I am terrified of them, but I have just about decided that I cannot live in fear and pass up a great town full of great people for fear of what may or may not happen.
We have a 9 y/o son and a 6 m/o daughter.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM

94 posts, read 320,427 times
Are you ready for the cold.... we are at a negative -4 brrrrr
Tornadoes.... I have lived in Nebraska for 41 years and have only seen 5 of them,
and I love to watch storms'. been in several tornado warnings, you just have to be prepared.
I live in Grand Island just about 40 miles East of Kearney.
Kearney has wonderful schools, hospital and shopping centers.
What type of jobs are you looking for?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Cold

We don't really like the cold, but we know it's there. lol We know it's going to be a big change and that is exactly what we want. We have both been here (on and off for me) all our lives and we hate it. I read about a tornado in Kearney in May of this year... We were in one in March of last year. I have never been so terrified in all my life! We just don't get them as often as yall do there (based on what I've read). Do most of the homes there have storm cellars?
As far as work: I am hoping to be able to stay home with my baby and son when he's not in school. My husband can do several things. He has a CDL for truck driving (wants to stay local, of course), he can be an auto or diesel mechanic, has many years experience as a tow truck driver, can weld...ummm.....I'm drawing a blank now, but I think there are a couple of others. lol

Old 12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,955,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Water 1867 View Post
I agree with the other people who posted: Kearney is a great town. Lots of great shops on Central Ave. in the downtown area. The university makes Kearney a more progressive city than it would be without it. To some people, progressive may be an ugly word meaning liberal, but I happen to think it's more about being forward-thinking and proactive in city planning and placing a premium on arts and education. I do wish that Kearney could get a second I-80 exit closer to the Gateway Arch. Anyone have any updated info. on how that is coming along? Good luck in your move, MAKT, and welcome to Nebraska!!
Its coming along. Its going to be built east of the Arch at Cherry Avenue and eventually be a bypass to hook up with Hwy 40 north of town. I think construction starts next year. To be honest, IMO, Kearney could even use a third exit at 30th avenue.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,955,127 times
MAKT, Kearney is a great town to live in. I'm very happy I grew up there and wouldn't mine living there again. Sounds like you'll have to get used to the weather. Most homes in Kearney have basements, to answer you're question about storm cellars. Your husband sounds like a jack of all trades. The thing that caught my eye was welding. I know awhile back there was a real high demand for welders in this area. I don't know if thats fallen off or not with the economy but companies were paying people to go through welding school and come work for them. The Kearney Hub is a great place for job looking. You can also look at the workforce development website:

Nebraska JobLink

Kearney's zip is 68845 or 68847 (you'll need it for the search). The workforce development closed Kearney's office to save money, but they still list some jobs. It can at least give you an idea of whats out there.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM

464 posts, read 1,307,972 times
I lived in Kearney for 8 years. I was a college student 4 1/2 of that, and worked full time the other 3 1/2. I didn't enjoy it much back then (89-97), but I was younger, not married, no kids, and I grew up in a town of more than 250,000. It was too small of a town for me.
BUT I've been thru there a couple times since 97 and it's growing a LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska