Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times

Advertisements

I have been living in-between Omaha and Lincoln for the last 55 years, before that I lived in Omaha. During that time I could have went to Lincoln or Omaha just as easy, but I have developed a distinct dislike of Lincoln over Omaha so When we go shopping, we go to Omaha.

I had to think about it but what I found was that Omaha is more of a blue collar working city and Lincoln is a student city with people from all over the country going to UNL.

The people in Omaha are friendlier then Lincoln and there is less traffic issues to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 9,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskanass View Post
I moved to Lincoln 1 1/2 years ago and I hate it. The people here are absolute *******s. They drive like maniacs and have no clue on how to be polite. The taxes are out of this world, and for what -- so we can have a crooked police department and bad roads. WFT. I guess what really disappoints me is I expected people to be friendly and courtious being we are in the midwest. Boy I sure was wrong. Everyone here seems to be angry about something, and they stare at you like some stupid cattle that is being lead into the slaughter house. WHY DON"T YOU DUMB ****"S MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! The thing that really sucks is that I bought a house when I first moved here so now I'm stuck due to the housing market taking a dive. Sorry for the rant, but I would really like to hear from people who feel the same way I do.
I'm in the same boat with the house/same opinion, only im on the outskirts of Omaha. I would never live in Lincoln either. I can only assume the "I <3 Nebraska" stickers are from people who haven't lived elsewhere or relocated from Bosnia.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 9,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Guess what guys? There are rude people, racists, and bad drivers in every city in the U.S.!!

I always love how some person condemns an entire city because "some guy yelled a racial slur." Well...what's your point. There is not one single city in the country where racism doesn't exist. And as far as diversity goes, Lincoln tracks the minority distribution of the rest of the country.

Maybe when you're miserable and in the mood to judge everyone else around you its time to take a look in the mirror! Do you really think its just everyone else around you causing the problem?? If that's the case then the problem is probably YOU!

Truth is I don't know anyone in Lincoln that would care at all that you are a minority. Maybe you need to stop with the unbelievable degree of narcissism and understand people don't really care. If you would recognize that you are not at the center of everyone's thoughts then maybe you could walk through a crowd without THINKING everyone is glaring out you...which I assure you they are not.
I hear what youre saying (9 years later, man!). However people here are a different shade of awful. Never had problems making or keeping friends, but then again it has always been based on my personality and enjoying each other's company rather than what I had to offer financially/materially. People are incredibly superficial as a whole here...ive taken that look in the mirror and I haven't changed a bit save for the fact I'm now more jaded that people can be so horrible. It's a sad place to be, I can't wait to get the hell outta here.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 8,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersLady View Post
In regards to the Compton reference that keeps popping up,as well as the OPs comment on people minding their own business...I had to live for a year&a half or so,in Compton&I never had a problem. In fact,of the places I've lived,people in Compton bothered me less than most places I've lived. They were far more laid back,than I have found in most places&less nosy. As a 'night person',I went out at night to buy my groceries,get snacks from the mini marts,etc.&never had anyone hassle me. Yes,there are shady people there,but also everywhere else in the country. From what I saw,unless you are in a gang,or into drugs or dress like hooker,you really don't have much to worry about. As a decent looking white female who has actually lived there,I can honestly say it was'nt as bad as some claim it is,so I kind of had to LOL a little at the OPs comment about how after dark where he was living 'turned into Compton'. I did'nt see the entire city of Compton,but in that year&a half that I lived there,I never saw one hooker,or drug deal going down,or cops doing anything other than arresting people,for traffic violations. So,I'm guessing the OP has never actually been to Compton&that his comment was just based on the hype.(: BTW,I came upon this post,while looking to get info on moving from where I currently reside,to Nebraska(possibly Lincoln or a smaller town near to it),so if anyone would be willing to share any pros&cons/helpful stories/etc. of doing so,I would be most appreciative. (:

I worked in supposedly bad neighborhoods in a a large metro area. I agree with what you're saying. I lived in a nicer white part of the MSA and commuted (90% of the time) to homes in bad areas as a salesperson. To be clear, I don't think these places are as great for black people or other minorities living there as a lot of them wanted to live in the nicer area that I lived in; but for me I used to breathe a sigh of relief when I entered the borderline of the bad area. I knew I'd be treated as a human being.

I met a lot of wonderful people and learned so much. They weren't secretive about useful information and sharing information and ideas was seen as more of a good habit. In the nice neighborhood I lived in things eventually spiraled out of control and I left, but I had already baked that into my plans long before things went south. When I lived there, I often considered moving to the claimed bad area. The crazy cycles of the housing market kept me from making a leap and glad I didn't because I would have ended up upside down.

I did see hookers and drug deals quire often actually. Victimless crimes aren't crimes in my view. So, the gov. really has no business trying to bother people about those things. (The gov. just doesn't like competition as they are in those businesses.) Cops left you alone when they knew you were in there working and not looking for drugs or s3x trade. It really cannot be quantified, I don't think, by a white male who is liked how bad the place is. Bus since I'm white, I can say I'd rather have the more laid back people around me than this weird, racist, full of hate thing a lot of white people are morphing into in many places in the westernized world.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
I moved here in July, from Oklahoma. Oklahoma is known for having very friendly folks. I love it here, but I have to be honest, I think there alot of rude Nebraskans and very horrible drivers. I am sorry, I am just being honest. I love everything else. BTW...I AM NOT AN OU FAN!

Old 12-18-2019, 07:41 PM

308 posts, read 267,207 times
Lived in Lincoln over a year, and yes the taxes are absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea where it _really_ goes to, but it's definitely not spent on roads (if you saw the roads you'd think they spent little to nothing on them). Yes, it snows in Lincoln, but I have been to plenty of other places in the midwest (e.g. Champaign-Urbana, IL for grad school) where it snows and the roads were in respectable conditions. Having UNL in town is a plus, but that's probably the only positive thing I can say about Lincoln. Their football following is really strong, but their team is "meh." Schools are OK. Weather sucks since it's cold more than half the year. People also don't seem to know how to drive. And as if roads conditions aren't bad enough, imagine lots of snow AND everyone parking on BOTH sides of the road leaving only a single lane for both directions (basically any non-major artery). Nevermind the fact that just about every driveway is completely empty where this seems to crop up the most. When you buy a new car, you pay tax on it (which is to be expected), and then every year you get to repeat that process (annual car tax for 14 years).

The cost of living in general is just really high, and I often have to wonder why. There's absolutely nothing to show for it. No beaches, grand downtown views (not much of a downtown at all, really), no must-visit sites, etc. that places with high costs of living would typically have.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:17 AM

18 posts, read 18,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Arizona is a world class hole.. So, we both have valid opinions.. and I try to warn people of your state..
Agree, especially Phoenix and Toosad (Tucson). Lots of two legged rattlesnakes, corrupt (like Mexico). Home to Bonano, mafia boss. Crooked Gov., slumlords aplenty, crazy incompetent drivers, lots of drug related violence and gunplay.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:05 AM

111 posts, read 95,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberaptor View Post
savage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska