U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 9,027,723 times
Reputation: 8919

Advertisements

Hi--

I have a job offer in Kearny, NE (currently live in WI). My only concern is humidity -- I hate it. Are the summers hot and humid in Kearny? From all I've read, it seems like a real nice town.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
24,712 posts, read 42,474,847 times
Reputation: 17361
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Hi--

I have a job offer in Kearny, NE (currently live in WI). My only concern is humidity -- I hate it. Are the summers hot and humid in Kearny? From all I've read, it seems like a real nice town.

Thanks.
Kearney would be much less humid compared to WI. The eastern 1/3 of Nebraska is generally the most humid with fairly reliable precipitation. Lincoln is more humid than Kearney and North Platte is more semi-arid compared to Kearney. Kearney is a fairly nice town with a variety of shops and resturants. It is also home to the University of Nebraska at Kearney. Overall, the tri-cities of Grand Island, Kearney, and Hastings are relatively stable in terms of jobs with slow and steady population growth. The major difference between the Midwest and Plains is the amount of trees. WI has far more trees compared to NE. That is something that might take getting used to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 9,027,723 times
Reputation: 8919
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kearney would be much less humid compared to WI. The eastern 1/3 of Nebraska is generally the most humid with fairly reliable precipitation. Lincoln is more humid than Kearney and North Platte is more semi-arid compared to Kearney. Kearney is a fairly nice town with a variety of shops and resturants. It is also home to the University of Nebraska at Kearney. Overall, the tri-cities of Grand Island, Kearney, and Hastings are relatively stable in terms of jobs with slow and steady population growth. The major difference between the Midwest and Plains is the amount of trees. WI has far more trees compared to NE. That is something that might take getting used to.

Yep, it does get humid in WI, but only during the months of July and August. I live along Lake Michigan so that helps alleviate that problem. Just wondering how long the hot and humid weather lasts in Kearney.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Central Nebraska
1,821 posts, read 4,940,507 times
Reputation: 5085
It can get humid in Kearney and hot during the summer. The irrigation around the area doesn't help. There seems to be a number of drier days too. Its nothing like the southern US but we still have those "sticky" days. I'll have to find some numbers, its hard to think of what summer is like when there is snow on the ground I need to go scoop.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
24,712 posts, read 42,474,847 times
Reputation: 17361
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Yep, it does get humid in WI, but only during the months of July and August. I live along Lake Michigan so that helps alleviate that problem. Just wondering how long the hot and humid weather lasts in Kearney.
Here is some info from the NWS:
NWS Hastings, NE
NWS Hastings, NE
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
 
Location: South Dakota
1,961 posts, read 6,634,849 times
Reputation: 1010
I would agree that humidity would be less in Kearney, NE than in Wisconsin. The humidity in my area, SE South Dakota would similar to the Tri Cities and Columbus, although is less humid than Lincoln and Omaha (and this is based on my experiences). If you want real humidity, Missouri, Kentucky, and states in the South and out east have it bad (humidity is downright horrible in Florida, Lousiana, and Mississippi).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Grand Island, Nebraska
737 posts, read 1,815,453 times
Reputation: 327
Humidity in Nebraska is very very bad. I lived here in NE for 35 years plan on lots of talcomb powder and cornstarch. We tons of cornstarch after all we are the corn state.

But seriously it gets hot and humid here in Nebraska. don't be fooled.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,317,562 times
Reputation: 1238
But you live in Omaha, Kearney is much different.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Grand Island, Nebraska
737 posts, read 1,815,453 times
Reputation: 327
by what 1-2 degrees....... 2 percent

100 degrees and 98 percent humidity feels the same in Omaha as in Kearney.

Bottom Line Nebraska has some bad humidity summers are hell.

Why do you think we have so many tornados, and thunderstorms?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
 
17,527 posts, read 23,933,950 times
Reputation: 51477
Tpabes is right. When I go through Nebraska in the summer on I-80 North Platte generally feels like Colorado (lower humidity). Kearney is maybe 90 miles east of North Platte and you can feel the humidity. Kearney is also close to 1000 feet lower in elevation, I believe North Platte is around 3000 feet in elevation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top