U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,409,030 times

Advertisements

I heard Omaha is often a first trial market for fast food options...(example, the taco bell breakfast)

Maybe because of that we are a first for some medical procedures.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM

559 posts, read 1,646,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
We must be talking about two different things here, because I am talking about something that was recently announced in the last couple of weeks that we are, again, first to have some type of procedural device or something..

LOL, sorry, I went to search for the article in the Lincoln Journal Star and it's just not there..

So, if you guys already have whatever you say you have, then we must be talking about two completely different things
ok, looked it up cuz i figured we were talking about 2 different knives, but we arent. same one doing the same as all the others. like i said though, its good for you to finally have one.
Cyberknife Cancer Treatment Makes A Difference for Patients
http://www.aapm.org/meetings/06AM/do...essRelease.pdf

Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,816,572 times
The broadcast I saw was on KOLN/KGIN not in the Lincoln Journal Star. In the segment on KOLN/KGIN (it may be on their website) they said that the the are less than a hundred CyberKnife units in the United States. Doing a few math calculations now. . . Lincoln is a city with about 280,000 population. We have one CyberKnife. I wonder how many New York City has? Or L.A., or California in the whole state?

I still say we are doing just fine for a State that a lot of folks on the Left and Right Coasts see as HICKS.

GL2

Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM

559 posts, read 1,646,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The broadcast I saw was on KOLN/KGIN not in the Lincoln Journal Star. In the segment on KOLN/KGIN (it may be on their website) they said that the the are less than a hundred CyberKnife units in the United States. Doing a few math calculations now. . . Lincoln is a city with about 280,000 population. We have one CyberKnife. I wonder how many New York City has? Or L.A., or California in the whole state?

I still say we are doing just fine for a State that a lot of folks on the Left and Right Coasts see as HICKS.

GL2
ya, i put the link of the news station in the above post.
i sure know what you mean with the coasts. we are all hicks to them and we are just in flyover territory.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM

874 posts, read 2,687,561 times
If you find the article about a new procedure re: Cyberknife, please post the link. My cousin is an oncologist and he hasn't heard about anything brand new in Nebraska, and it's fun to know about new things in his field before he does... so would love to give him the info.

I agree UNMC is a great facility for the area. I have been lucky that every city I have lived in has had an awesome teaching/research hospital that provided excellent care and was on the forefront in some aspects of research (even a small city like Galveston, which has UTMB with its vast research facilities, Shriners Burn Center for kids, and its somewhat scary Biocontainment Lab - although much of the hospital side has unfortunately been severely impacted by Hurricane Ike). My mom is certainly closer to other medical facilities in Omaha, but her first choice is still UNMC.

Last edited by buffy888; 03-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: forgot I started a post before I went out to do some gardening-someone else already posted the link,so I removed from my post

Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

874 posts, read 2,687,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

GL2
According to the Cyberknife site, there are just 10 in California. I wonder if the market is expanding or if they base it on population, on distance one would have to drive to get there, etc...

I do think it's a good thing for Nebraska to have one, plus Lincoln is a good location because it's a bit less of a drive for people from western NE to get there than to drive to Omaha. I would think if they add a new one in NE, it would have to be Omaha, though. There is one in Des Moines, so people in Council Bluffs could probably go to either that one or the one in Lincoln. It's great that people don't have to drive/fly to a major city just to have access to this technology.

(Also, my original post on the thread - and the posts of others, it seems - was not intended as negative. I was just questioning if this was something even newer than the CyberKnife because that certainly would be a coup for Lincoln and for Nebraska in general. I still have many friends and family in Omaha and am always happy to hear positive things happening in the area.)

Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,653,187 times
Quote:
plus Lincoln is a good location because it's a bit less of a drive for people from western NE to get there than to drive to Omaha.
People in western Nebraska don't care. Once you're driving east, it all kind of runs together...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,342 times
I just wrote something along those lines! What is wrong with Omaha being a little hick? Omaha Events Examiner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska